Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Default 2001 Grand Cherokee Hard Starting

It takes at least 2 or 3 tries to start. It's gotten worse over the last few months. I have replaced the spark plugs (gap was worn to about .080") and the ignition coil (had a similar problem with my Dakota and a new coil fixed it) with no improvement. I've had a scan tool hooked up and the coolant temp sensor seems to be reading normally. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Biggrin

Check the fuel pressure at the rail. A failing fuel pump will act like that.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

Can almost guarantee it is the fuel pressure regulator. It is in the pump assembly. They act as a check valve when the car is shut off. Put a gauge on the rail and shut the engine off. If it immediately drops to 0, the regulator is bad. You can just replace it, but I'd put a pump module in based on age.

You could just cycle the key a few times before starting it. That's free and will build the rail pressure so it will start.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Well, I still have to get a fuel pressure gauge to verify that, but the trick of cycling the key to build up pressure was working. However the problem seems to have gone away since Friday. Maybe due to the warmer weather?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Inactive User

One more thing, I can't remember if the '01 WJ had a fuel filter or it was just '03-'04. If yours has one, it will be located in front of the tank on the floor pan on the drivers side. If it does, the fuel filter IS the regulator. Change it and your fixed.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Idea

if you continue to experience a starting problem consistant with ambient temerature changes you may look into replacing the fuel tank seal ( part #05019308AB) on the top of the tank. Some WJs had seals that started failing early on. Yours may be failing now.
A failing seal caused at rest fuel pressure to drop to a point that required extended cranking times to allow the pressure to rise. ( kinda like running out of gas over night, every night). To over come this you can change the seal or get used to turning the key on without turning to the start position for at least several seconds to allow the pump to increase fuel pressure enough to start.
The seal may eventually fail to the point that ambient temperature changes won't be a factor. By then you will not know the difference as you have learned to start your Jeep between extended times of rest. But you may start to wonder why you smell the odor of gasoline a lot more than before.

Post # 1
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Inactive User

This one does have a fuel filter. I changed that and it seems to be fine now, although it took a couple days after I changed the filter before we saw the improvement. I thought that was a little strange.