Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 AM

Default 2004 Jeep Grande Cherokee mystery leaking?

A friend of mine has a 2004 Jeep Grande Cherokee 6cyl and it is running good, heat and air works great. But the problem is their is water in the passenger front floorboard. They were wondering what was causeing this
Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 AM

Biggrin

Does it have a sunroof?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

Check the evaporator drain.
It drains under the hood. This is condensation from the air conditioning unit and the drain can plug up and flood the floor pan.

I'm not sure on your vehicle if it is easier from underneath or from the engine compartment.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Does it have a sunroof?
No, good one though.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox View Post
Check the evaporator drain.
It drains under the hood. This is condensation from the air conditioning unit and the drain can plug up and flood the floor pan.

I'm not sure on your vehicle if it is easier from underneath or from the engine compartment.
Are you talking about the little hose that water drains from while the ac is running? It was draining a few weeks ago, but i will check again to make sure. So should i just run a coat hanger up the hose to unclog it? Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
No, good one though.
No, not a joke. I did some research and there are two drain hoses that run from the sunroof channel down through a tube in the door pillar that can plug up and back up into the passenger compartment, usually in the shotgun footwell.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
No, not a joke. I did some research and there are two drain hoses that run from the sunroof channel down through a tube in the door pillar that can plug up and back up into the passenger compartment, usually in the shotgun footwell.
Well i didnt know that. Im sorry i thought that you was being funny. :-D But i am wondering if it aint the ac drain then where else could it be comeing from.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Biggrin

Here, copy and paste this for a Google search:

Jeep Cherokee water on the passenger floorboard
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Another possibility is the heater core and/or hoses/connections. If the leaking fluid is coolant, then that's it. If water, then previous suggestions and windshield.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirorod View Post
Another possibility is the heater core and/or hoses/connections. If the leaking fluid is coolant, then that's it. If water, then previous suggestions and windshield.
I dont think it is coolant. Are their connections to the heater core under the dash that might be leaking? By windshield do you mean a leak around the seal?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Here, copy and paste this for a Google search:

Jeep Cherokee water on the passenger floorboard
Well now thats a good place to start.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM

What about useing coat hanger up inside of the drain hose to unclog it?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
What about useing coat hanger up inside of the drain hose to unclog it?
Yes, thats fine, but bend a curl on the end and only go in an inch or so. The evap is right above it and you don't want to punch it. Youll probably end up pulling the styrofoam base out though.

You can pull the blower resistor and use a small vacuum to clear the bottom of where the evap sits on the Styrofoam. That is straight to the drain. I usually blow it out the drain from this access.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Inactive User

Yes, a possible leak at the windshield seal. Might be only glued with no weatherstrip. In that case, would need some sealing. Worst case, windshield would have to be pulled. Heater core is under dash. Don't remember if hose connections are in engine compartment or under dash. Hopefully, it's just the evap drain.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD AUTOMOTIVE View Post
Yes, thats fine, but bend a curl on the end and only go in an inch or so. The evap is right above it and you don't want to punch it. Youll probably end up pulling the styrofoam base out though.

You can pull the blower resistor and use a small vacuum to clear the bottom of where the evap sits on the Styrofoam. That is straight to the drain. I usually blow it out the drain from this access.
Thanks for the info. Ill check that out.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 AM

:shock:

Quote:
Yes, a possible leak at the windshield seal. Might be only glued with no weatherstrip. In that case, would need some sealing. Worst case, windshield would have to be pulled. Heater core is under dash. Don't remember if hose connections are in engine compartment or under dash. Hopefully, it's just the evap drain.
Well i pulled the heater hoses where they go into the fire wall and by passed them so the coolent wont go into the heater core and it still leaks. It gets so wet sometimes it saturates the carpet, covers the first carpet mat, and then stands on top of the clear rubber mat thats on top of that.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Inactive User

If no coolant is going to the hose connections at the firewall, the leak is not coolant. Did you clear the evap drain?
If you get inside the Jeep and have someone spray the outside with a garden hose, you will probably be able to see where the water is coming in.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Idea

Quote:
If no coolant is going to the hose connections at the firewall, the leak is not coolant. Did you clear the evap drain?
If you get inside the Jeep and have someone spray the outside with a garden hose, you will probably be able to see where the water is coming in.
Thats a good idea i didnt think of that.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM

I finaly figured it out. It was water being blown back into the passenger side of the vehical comeing from where the ac drain is. I put rubber elbow hose on it to direct the water farther away when it drains and it stoped it. Thanks to everyone once again for all your help with this matter.