Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Can I say pussy engine???

Hello to everybody!! ok, long story short. I used to have a car with a slant six and I have to say that was the best engine Chrysler has ever produced; strong, reliable and pretty cheap on gas compared to others. The thing here is that now I drive a 2000 Cherokee and my expectations about the performance of the 4.0 that comes in it have been widely let down. I mean, the thing works, it fires up every morning without much trouble but I have to declare that it is the biggest pussy engine i've seen put in an SUV; it is slow, underpowered, has a tendency to heat too much and the most inoffensive hill will make the thing ping like there's no tomorrow. I have tried almost every thing; changing gas brands, spark plugs and gaps, cleaning the inyectors, changing oil to different viscosities and simply nothing, no change. I've seen Toyota and Volkswagen four bangers that really put this engine on the bench of the biggest losers. Tell me honestly..can this be fixed or should I start looking for a new ride???
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM

Those 4.0's are good engines. Do yourself a favor and change the waterpump. I don't know what year they started but they used plastic impellers on the pump and they were known for breaking. That could be your whole overheating problem. Could also be the cause of pinging, etc. Actually the pinging could be causing the low power issue too. The computer could be retarding the timing to compensate.

You didn't mention if you've had it scanned for codes and if the live data showed correct values.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Inactive User

The pinging could indicate that the timing is too far advanced.
Or it could indicate that the injectors are dirty. If they weren't removed and then cleaned by a shop specializing in injectors and diesel pumps, chances are they didn't really get cleaned The on-car cleaning often doesn't work. Dirty injectors give a lean mixture which can cause pinging and low power and overheating and high NOx emissions.
The Jeep inline sixes might not be the greatest engines ever built, but they do usually run a whole lot better than you are experiencing. Try the injector cleaning, and I think you'll have a whole different beast.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Default low power

pressure test exhaust system ,no more then 3lbs back pressure at 2000rpms, converter clogged? All the 4.0 I've work on run very well all torque no hp.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Inactive User

Problem solved!!! yeahhhh. I actually had it scanned but it threw no codes. So after I read some of your advice, I decided to do some research on pinging due to timing issues and there i found the answer. It happens that the camshaft position sensor (where the distributor used to be) needs to be adjusted periodically -every 20-30 thousand miles or so- in order to compensate for the wear and tear of the timing chain and some other components. After 91k on the counter I think it was just about time. You get piston 1 to TDC and then you adjust the cam sensor so a toothpick (yeah, a toothpick!!) can go through a hole in sensor body and the internal pulse ring. This will synchronize injectors with the engine timing and that's it!! pinging and overheating problem gone!!! Can hardly believe it.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Good news.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Inactive User

your should be an HO motor--those things are really strong and punchy when working correctly. my cherokee is a renix and it's pretty gutless but still, it never quits.

the 4.0 is known for heat issues--swap out whatever you can afford to and put a new 180 tstat in.

i'm currently in the process of trading a car for a 440 ramcharger because i'm wanting a camp trailer, and my renix cherokee isn't going to have what it takes.

also, check out www.naxja.org --great community, and it's all for cherokees.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Inactive User

woops, double post.