Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM

Default 2002 liberty blowing fuse

working on a 2002 jeep liberty. customer was having a problem with fuse #34 in the fuse panel blowing causing interior light and radio and other things not to work. could replace fuse and it would work for several days . fuse blew with customer and customer installed a higher amp fuse brought it back to me with same problem plus a melted area where fuse goes. only problem now is I can install the correct fuse and everything comes back on but vehicle has no turn signals are flashers . they are lit up in dash and stay on as also the turn signals bulbs in front of vehicle. I was thinking body control module was the problem but I can unplug bcm from fuse panel and lamps stay on as long as fuse is left in place. customer should have never installed higher amp fuse but they didn't know I guess. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I do not see any burned wiring at the fuse panel nor under the dash .
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Inactive User

I think the first thing to do is to find the short. This situation could easily cause a fire. Once the short is found and fixed, it would be time to go on to other problems. The other problems probably were caused by the higher amp fuse. Sounds like the fuse box itself might now be bad. But the short must be fixed first.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Inactive User

Without a wring diagram or service manual you are screwed. You need to find out what is on that circuit. Sometimes "it's not obvious."

Cigarette lighter? or accessory outlet?

Let's "just say" it's something like a pinched or melted wire in the interior lamp circuit.

There exists an "old school" as well as "new improved" short finder. The "old school" ones were simple. There were basically a small auto-reset breaker and possibly a imiting resistor. You clipped this in in place of the fuse. The short would cause the breaker to cycle. It came with a meter looked sort of like an ammeter, but when you bring it close to a live wire carrying a fair amount of current, it would deflect due to the large magnetic field around the wire

This one is KD tools "short finder"

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/mp/00/0...46_500X500.jpg

I admit, this might not be much help with an intermittent.

The thing is to look at anything which might have been modified, trailer lights, etc, or anything "more likely" to be pinched, or physically damaged, like the rear harness.

I repeat, without a diagram or shop manual, you are screwed. Very first thing is to determine ALL that is served by that fuse

Also, a dedicated "Jeep" forum is probably a better place than here. I have NO actual experience with any Jeep made after the middle 70's or so