Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM

Default liberty radio fuse blowing

2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7 liter. fuse blowing in panel on left side of dash. radio goes out no turn signals remote locks stop working. back cargo door wont open . trying to locate a short to ground. the person that owns the vehicle said they could put a new fuse back in an ride for a few day then fuse would blow again. I think it fuse 34 in the fuse panel will check to make sure. if anyone has seen this problem before please let me know . any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

I agree that there's a short somewhere. I am surprised there are so many circuits on one fuse. I was looking at an 05 Liberty last year and googled for problem areas. Don't remember anything like that popping up. I generally use a short tester that I cobbled up a few years ago in combination with a cheap compass. Used to use a snapon tester, but my home-built works better. Basically it's a turn signal flasher and some wires, except I prettied it with a circuit board, etc. It plugs in to the fuse socket and the flasher goes on and off if there's a short. Moving the compass over the circuits causes the compass to go nuts where the short is. These things can be frustrating, so good luck. I remember it taking 4 hours to trace one on a 66 Malibu because of all the circuits right where the short was.