Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

Help '06 Unlimited - Excess Brake Dust

My wife is the proud owner of a new Rubicon Unlimited, but with only 400 miles logged the front wheels are literally black with brake dust. Took it in this morning and the Jeep Mechanic said that's "normal," without even taking a wheel off to inspect the brake system, and suggested we wash it more often. Great start with "Customer Service." Has anyone else experienced excess dust with your new (or older) Wrangler? Also the Temp Guage rides steady at 210* after the engine is warm. Is this normal? The same mechanic says it is. Didn't I read somewhere that water boils at 212*? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

The brake dust sounds normal for what all the cars I've had with Semi Metallic pads and disk brakes, especially if I've been using them hard. The only ways to stop that will be to either to drive in a way that you use the brakes less or get a brake pad that doesn't produce dust as it gets consumed, such as Raybestus (sp?) Quietstop pads which retail for my Jeep at about $75 an axle (but I got them on sale for just over $50!). Dad and I just put a set on the front of mine but I haven't really paid attention to brake dust since it's something that doesn't concern me much. If there is a brake problem that might cause that problem, it would be that the calipers are sticking and you may want to keep an eye out for that just in case. The temp is right on too for every stock 4.0l I've driven, and if I remember correctly, anti-freeze and pressurizing the cooling system is supposed to raise the boiling point of water . Last summer at 88k Dad and I swapped Trans-Pro/GDI 3 row, all brass, radiator finished in flat black into my '98 Cherokee Limited and saw a 10-20 degree drop in temps even when it's really hot ( straight 90*-110* with humidity) and in fast food drive-ups or in Chicago traffic, I rarely see more than 210* anymore!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemeabreak
My wife is the proud owner of a new Rubicon Unlimited, but with only 400 miles logged the front wheels are literally black with brake dust. Took it in this morning and the Jeep Mechanic said that's "normal," without even taking a wheel off to inspect the brake system, and suggested we wash it more often. Great start with "Customer Service." Has anyone else experienced excess dust with your new (or older) Wrangler? Also the Temp Guage rides steady at 210* after the engine is warm. Is this normal? The same mechanic says it is. Didn't I read somewhere that water boils at 212*? Thanks.
Those issues may very well be addressed in the Owner's Manual.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 AM

brake dust is normal. i hate to say this but in my years of working. the more dust can mean a softer brake compond or a heavy braker. sorry to tell you that. also 210 is normal. yes water does boil st 212.but heres the answer why it wont boil over.for every pound that the radiator cap is ie 15 psi ad 3 degress to the boiling piont of 212 now you are at about 245.add the antifreeze/coolant and the piont is als raised again. so you are about 265-270 now from boil over. hope this helps