Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Bruton Smith theatens to move his speedway after council denies his dragstrip plans.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1894479/
""In light of what's happened ... now I could take that $200 million and maybe another $100 (million) or $150 million and I could build a new facility," Smith said."
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

SO those pricks are everywhere, they wanted to put a track here in West Chicago, but the locals didn't want the traffic or a bunch of "drunken hoolligans" roaming our streets (funny...we still have that, and they aren't even in this country legally......). One woman didn't want it because a race shop my deal drugs on the side (but a flower shop can't peddle something...) so she was opposition of the track (no I'm not making that up!) The UP also wanted to put in a railport on the same plot of land, but many of the same excuses were trotted out for that, and the RR Dad worked for at the time had a road crossing signal box damaged then a threat called into the RR that the people sent to fix it would be attacked!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Sad isn't it? If we let these obstructionists, as I like to call them, get in the way of everything, we'll never have anything nice, now or in the future.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Angry If You Don't Like It Move!

Tell Me Again When Was Charlotte Motor Speedway Built.answer Long Before All These Bleeding Heart Assholes Moved Close To It.they Knew The Area They Were Moving Into Before They Bought There Houses So Deal With It.a Nhra Crowd One Weekend A Year Won't Be Near As Noisy And Traffic Wouldn't Be Near As Bad As The 2 Nextel Cup Dates.if They Think There Property Value Will Drop Because Of The Drag Strip Just Think How Bad It Will Be If Bruton Pulls Out And Moves.if Not For The Speedway Concord Would Be A Ghost Town.quit Your Crying And Move If You Don't Like It!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
Tell Me Again When Was Charlotte Motor Speedway Built.answer Long Before All These Bleeding Heart Assholes Moved Close To It.they Knew The Area They Were Moving Into Before They Bought There Houses So Deal With It.a Nhra Crowd One Weekend A Year Won't Be Near As Noisy And Traffic Wouldn't Be Near As Bad As The 2 Nextel Cup Dates.if They Think There Property Value Will Drop Because Of The Drag Strip Just Think How Bad It Will Be If Bruton Pulls Out And Moves.if Not For The Speedway Concord Would Be A Ghost Town.quit Your Crying And Move If You Don't Like It!!!!!!!
dear smokie your right ilove to see the nhra come to lowes and by the race track ilive by it and it dont bother me a bit i aslo to see bruton open it up to liked friday and saturday night for us car eusthanist that love to drag race im behind you allthe way smoke on this
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 AM

kinda like building your house near the airport& bitch'n cause the noise! I'm sure they like all the cash the tracks generate tho! even the extra traffic shouldn't be so bad if it had a weekly racing show, I'm sure that place has roads built to get that many people out of the Nascar track, and fast
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Dad had to deal with these whineasses before he retired from the railroad, Their tracks ran through farm field that were bought by a contractor who put's up overpriced housing that is bought by people to stupid to realise that the road grade crossing with crossing gates, lights, and bells they drove over to look at the house, and the tracks you can see from the back windows of said house just may have a train run down them! I don't remember how many times he'd have people come up to him and tell him that the road needed to stop running the trains though their back yards and blow the whistles at the road grade crossings (which IIRC, is Federal Law and that should make it illegal for cities, counties, and/or states to write laws banning whistle blowing at road grade crossing but never seems to prevent that from happening!)
Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Inactive User

Default yes there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's all dodge View Post
kinda like building your house near the airport& bitch'n cause the noise! I'm sure they like all the cash the tracks generate tho! even the extra traffic shouldn't be so bad if it had a weekly racing show, I'm sure that place has roads built to get that many people out of the Nascar track, and fast
i live near the track there is ton of way out and near 3 interstate i777 i 85 and i 485 traffic is not that bad as people liked you to think plus it only a handful of people up here that are complaining about it htis really sucks if bruton smith moved this track and go somewhere esle what a loss of revenue for the city of concord and the owner of business that depend on this it not the business owner but some local tree hugger and liberal demorcrat that are behind this whole mess so remeber when you vote next time for this vleeding heart liberla democrat what a shamed to the community and to concord
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Default food lion auto fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydodge View Post
i live near the track there is ton of way out and near 3 interstate i777 i 85 and i 485 traffic is not that bad as people liked you to think plus it only a handful of people up here that are complaining about it htis really sucks if bruton smith moved this track and go somewhere esle what a loss of revenue for the city of concord and the owner of business that depend on this it not the business owner but some local tree hugger and liberal demorcrat that are behind this whole mess so remeber when you vote next time for this vleeding heart liberla democrat what a shamed to the community and to concord
the aslo host 2 auto lion auto faie doing the year too one in summer and one before the fall race to allthe liberal democrat and tree hugger go find a tree and hang your self
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM

This is not a political thread. Don't try to turn it into one.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Biggrin

Latest update: The city counsil of Concord,NC has decided to change the zoning for the area and allow permits for the drag strip to be approved. I guess someone down there "saw the light"
Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM

Maybe someone finally got smart and did the math and realized what they'd be losing out on...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

The tried to do the same thing in New Jersy a number of years ago. Englishtown drag strip has been there since the 60's. There is a small airport next to it, and there was nothing else around. Some ceveloper bought up the farmland around it and built houses and condos, all of a sudden there are noise complaints. Englishtown was/is one of the premier drags strips on the NHRA circuit. IT was nearly shut down due to people who bought homes nearby, and complaned about noise and traffic. Raceway Park at Englishtown is in Manalapen Township. I haven't been up there in a while, but besides the drag strip, some small mom and pop business, and farming, there wasn't much else going on there. It might have changed since my last visit, but Raceway Park was amoung the ;argest tax sources around there, not to mention the revenue brought to retailers and hotels in the area.

One has to wonder about those who buy homes in the facinity of any type of motor sports park, and then complains about nose, traffic and crowds. The old phrase is "Buyer Beware". Most developers are there to make money. A little homework wouldn't hurt.

Last Saturday night on the pre-race show on Speed, Kenny Wallace asked a question of the people who bought homes so near the track in Concord. A simple question: "The City of Concord, N.C.'s logo IS a race car. What were you thinking"?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Inactive User

If I was one of Concord's elders I would tell Mr. Smith to take his speedway and himself and go where he is needed, there are more than enough assholes moving here everyday to take his place. I hope to live long enough to see CMS shut down and NC rid of the likes of NASCAR and Smith; did Wilkesboro mean anything to them?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Redneckmobile, if they were going to do that, they'd have done it already.
I've got to wonder why you're posting on an automobile site , in a Nascar forum if you're so anti-automobile and anti-Nascar.
I'd love to see him move the track to central WV, we may not have the population, but we're pretty centrally located and I'd love to see the business here. Even then, I'd feel a little funny about helping to shut down that speedway, but the "$169 million in tourism" spending sure would help the economy right here.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga View Post
Redneckmobile, if they were going to do that, they'd have done it already.
I've got to wonder why you're posting on an automobile site , in a Nascar forum if you're so anti-automobile and anti-Nascar.
I'd love to see him move the track to central WV, we may not have the population, but we're pretty centrally located and I'd love to see the business here. Even then, I'd feel a little funny about helping to shut down that speedway, but the "$169 million in tourism" spending sure would help the economy right here.

What's with the "anti" labeling, please expound. I too would "love" to see CMS in WV but we all know the only level place large enough to set a track that size in the whole of WV is where the governor's mansion is located and relocating it would overcome the state's engineers abilities since the mansion's tires are probably dry rotted by now.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM

I considered your reference to "assholes" pretty anti in nature.
Your whole diatribe against Mr. Smith is negative and your stereotypical little quip about trailer tires is lame. Which means at this point, you've got nothing.
If your thinking is an example of government thinking in Charlotte, I can see why Bruton Smith wants to leave, it's no wonder you lost the Hornets to New Orleans as well.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydodge View Post
it is a politcal thing after theseliberal democrats callus a bunch of disease carry people so yo umust be a liberal democract that why the whole world is screw up and if billclinton would have taken care of thing in the middel east in the first place we wont be over there so it is a politcal thing cause i live here and there is nothing but a bunch of liberal democrats and tree hugger here anyways so go bruton smnith cause liked i said allthese politicans can hang there self and i wont losed a good night sleep over allthe crying bleeding heart democrats

I for one vote you to be the new poster child for NASCAR and as close as you are to Mr. Smith why not apply for job in public relations in his firm while you are at it, he can always use another friend.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga View Post
I considered your reference to "assholes" pretty anti in nature.
Your whole diatribe against Mr. Smith is negative and your stereotypical little quip about trailer tires is lame. Which means at this point, you've got nothing.
If your thinking is an example of government thinking in Charlotte, I can see why Bruton Smith wants to leave, it's no wonder you lost the Hornets to New Orleans as well.
My thoughts are lame that is for sure but the town Mr. Smith is bulling around is Concord, not Charlotte. If Mr. Smith needed the money or the town needed the drag strip it would be different but Concord is smack dab in the middle of Charlotte's big transition of becoming the New Atlanta and it doesn't need any revenue from CMS to survive, there is a big ole building in the middle of Charlotte called the Bank of America that makes sure positive things happen whenever the progress curve slows down. Now personally I could care less what happens to the football or basketball teams, major league baseball is what makes a town classy and that is all the native Charlottians dream of and the only part of Atlanta that we wish to have.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Does Bruton Smith run the Kentucky or Nashville track too? Which one bought out Pikes Peak Int. Speedway, in Colorado? So they could get the Busch race date?