Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Default 2008 Daytona 500

I finally got around to booking my flight to Florida today as living accomodations are in place.

Anyone else going ? Â
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

Biggrin

I have not been to Daytona or a race for that matter since 2001 when e died at the track. Since they changed the cars, not sure if I will even watch them on tv this year. The cars are the same now, like so many wised for. Just stickers and engine is the only main difference. The new cars run slower too, even on the short tracks. Takes all the fun out of it and turned it into a dang iroc race. Think I'll pass.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM

I think they need more short tracks, can't imagine myself sitting (it would not be standing) somewhere where you gotta get binoculers to see half the race, or some jumbo tron. I'd take an up to a 7/8 mile track anyday over Daytona, like the new track in Iowa, hope they get a date, the "west" could use a short track or two. Wish Memphis would gain some seats, I'd be there. I like to see the action. As for the cars, well, they haven't been much like the real street version since the last of the Thunderbirds, atleast the newer ones look boxier like the street ones, save for the spoilers, and the front one flattens tires! They need to do something to get rid of restricter plates, one more reason plus one for short tracks! What do they get you for the tickets? Seems it has become a sport for the rich to attend. But I got tv, and I can snooze away half the race, same as Talladaga, wake up watch the last 20 laps, cause not a single car car pull away like Bill Elliot or Richard Petty did. So they run in a pack of 35 cars, till the big one. They can't even draft as well, anymore. Now, Bristol, Martinsville, and Richmond are where I wanna be. The commercials are good tho.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43 View Post
I have not been to Daytona or a race for that matter since 2001 when e died at the track. Since they changed the cars, not sure if I will even watch them on tv this year. The cars are the same now, like so many wised for. Just stickers and engine is the only main difference. The new cars run slower too, even on the short tracks. Takes all the fun out of it and turned it into a dang iroc race. Think I'll pass.
They have been too close to being the same for me for years. I stopped watching NASCAR in the mid to late 90s. I knew back then that one day they would all be the same car with stickers on them and the COT is just that. I never thought Id see the giant spoilers on them though. NASCAR has NOTHING to do with STOCK CARS anymore, havent for a long time. Screw them.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Swinger View Post
They have been too close to being the same for me for years. I stopped watching NASCAR in the mid to late 90s. I knew back then that one day they would all be the same car with stickers on them and the COT is just that. I never thought Id see the giant spoilers on them though. NASCAR has NOTHING to do with STOCK CARS anymore, havent for a long time. Screw them.

I feel about the same way now. Even the Bristol short track is no good anymore with these new cars. Oh, and the 3 banking changes they added to it. It was great just the way it was without changing the banking on it. Why screw up a good thing. I think the new fans and ricer crowds might like the wings, but diehard racers will start to fall off. I bet it wont take long for attendance to fall off and they'll start to loose money. I'm pretty sure they lost me for now. I know I have no plans to watch the IROC 500 in Feb. You do know that the IROC failed too. Never sold tics like a cup race, think cup is headed that way now??
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Nascar?

When thay ran real STOCK cars, it was interesting racing. Then Chrysler made everybody angry by creating the finest, most efficient engine ever made in this country, and won "too many races".
Let's be honest, Nascar is not much about competition between brands, as much as it is driver hype and contingency money. You read race results, and there is no mention of the car brand. Money has ruined nascar, and NHRA. I was there barcket racing my '65 Belveder II when Garlits, and the rest drove their own haulers all around the country to try to meet expenses. The Petty's and the rest developed their own chassis, engines and made for good racing.
Cubic sponsor and contingency money may be neccesary to run today, but the racing was sure a bunch better before the greed set in.
JMHO
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM

actually the car of (today) looks alot more like the new Avenger and the (insert other brands here) Anybody that thinks that the Charger of last year REALY looked like and represented a real Charger, they should really look again, way off. So if your just now thinking the cars don't look so stock, well, it's been since the late 90s. And the suspention hasn't been a factory type deal since almost 30 years ago. The IROC, well, if they would make them run more power, or shorter tracks. If they ran 750 hp IROC cars on a place like Bristol, I'd pay to see it, maybe a bit longer race. Seems the current IROC cars have horsepower levels in the 500s, or low 600's, right? Too easy on a track like Daytona, Michigan, Atlanta, and they should make the IROC run some dirt races, lets be fair, and a road course, if the wanna put in road racers and open wheelers, make it fair for them
Old 01-20-2008, 12:36 PM

And the new front spoilers taking out tires sucks, but maybe Nascar wants more flats, more wrecks, right? I'll watch, but not as much as in the past, and like I say, I'd rather pay to see the small track
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Cannt agree more Dodge. What they should do is take that rear and front spoiler off shuve it up jeff you now what a put the restrictor plate up jimmy you now what. And race the dam car the way it is. It would keep them under 200 MPH. Far as that pease of crap TOY they should drive it back to Japan where it came from since they have never offered a V8 in any of there crap cars. If they want to race it race it with 6 cyl. Tired of nascar sucking hendrick and toyotas butt. We are just being sold out a litle more.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Other than dwc, did anyone of you read my question?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Yep, I read it. My answer is obviously no lol.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Saying no was too easy, had to explan why not.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Default daytona 500 baby

i'm leaving on wednesday ,i catch the whole speed wks
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM

That is good news...................I'll be down there on Tuesday hopefully.