Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Who to root for?

Now that Chrysler and their infamous wisdom has pulled out of Nascar I'm finding it difficult to root for anyone. I made some money last year in our local pub's Nascar pool with Kelselowski. It was easy to root for Penski and Dodge being the underdog due to the lack of dodges out there competing. I’m Just not interested this year. The only underdog story is Danica. We are already calling 2013 the "Danica 500"

I have been e-mailing and posting disappointment of Chrysler's decision on pulling out of Nascar where ever I can. Who would have thought that Fiat would make a blunder? One Could see this coming from a mile away. What's next? Re-introduce the Fiat Mulipla as a Chrysler minivan? Oops! I shouldn’t post ideas. Even if ridicules.

I guess i'm done whining.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Angry

I don't necessarily blame this on Fiat, But I do blame it on Penske. They went the whole season w/ no engine failures. Dodge had a whole new car ready for them & Penske goes & jumps ship to Ford. I wish Penske a lot of luck, all of it bad.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Inactive User

Didn't care who won.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

I've always liked Jimmy Johnson, I don't care who he drives for.

I'm really tired of the hype over the little brat. If she can win on her own driving merits, that's just fine.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM

I agree with 440roadrunnre. The same thing happened in NHRA Pro Stock with Erica Enders. you would have thought (by the press coverage) she was coming in to clean house & win the championship. She floundered & didn't win a race for 7 years. It's good to see women competing, but there are a lot of talented drivers who are not stepping aside for anyone. In her case (Danica's) she gets a lot of press (& TV) coverage because she is "hot".
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM

press jumps on any bandwagon , it will turn from danica to the fences now,she did alright but see what happened as soon as they got diceytoward the end. rest of race single file riding, cant blame penske i love dodge but they dont wanna give no money we got some wins with marlin,newman,eliot kane& a championship over johnson not bad being that outnumberd. newman will leave soon to bad dodge&him couldnt end up back at penske remember that combo? women or anyone else is fine as long as they can pull own wieght but not if they need a nursemaid & she aint hot by no means
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
I don't necessarily blame this on Fiat, But I do blame it on Penske. They went the whole season w/ no engine failures. Dodge had a whole new car ready for them & Penske goes & jumps ship to Ford. I wish Penske a lot of luck, all of it bad.
This is not true. Penske was hoping and expecting a long term deal with Chrysler. It was Chrysler who balked at this and Ford swooped in with a deal. Right during a Championship run! Blaming this all on Fiat maybe a little too easy, but this is very typical of Chrysler. Chrysler historically has made some of the best and riskiest decisions of the big 3. But in turn has made the biggest blunders. Like scrapping Plymouth. Plymouth Cuda out sold Dodge Challenger. Plymouth Road Runner out sold Dodge Charger. Hell even Plymouth Superbird out sold Dodge Daytona. So what does Chrysler do right in the middle of a renaissance of re-introducing classic favorites like the old school style Mustang and Camaro? Dump Plymouth? Their best muscle car selling division? Could you imagine the mileage Chrysler could have got with re-introducing Cuda, Road Runner or even Fury? WHO IS STERRING THE SHIP over there?

I believe this is why Chrysler needs a bailout every 20 years or so. Complete management failure! Believing in the old adage that "We can shape the future" instead of recognizing the changing market.

One of the biggest business trends are employee owned companies (ESPO's). Doing away with traditional management hierarchy structures that are increasingly being proven inefficient and way too top heavy on funding and pay distributions. Is Chrysler too big for this kind of buyout? Just imagining the possibilities of living in a perfect world.

OK. Now that’s some serious whining!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM

Who Cares ................
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudadrag View Post
This is not true. Penske was hoping and expecting a long term deal with Chrysler. It was Chrysler who balked at this and Ford swooped in with a deal. Right during a Championship run! Blaming this all on Fiat maybe a little too easy, but this is very typical of Chrysler. Chrysler historically has made some of the best and riskiest decisions of the big 3. But in turn has made the biggest blunders. Like scrapping Plymouth. Plymouth Cuda out sold Dodge Challenger. Plymouth Road Runner out sold Dodge Charger. Hell even Plymouth Superbird out sold Dodge Daytona. So what does Chrysler do right in the middle of a renaissance of re-introducing classic favorites like the old school style Mustang and Camaro? Dump Plymouth? Their best muscle car selling division? Could you imagine the mileage Chrysler could have got with re-introducing Cuda, Road Runner or even Fury? WHO IS STERRING THE SHIP over there?

I believe this is why Chrysler needs a bailout every 20 years or so. Complete management failure! Believing in the old adage that "We can shape the future" instead of recognizing the changing market.

One of the biggest business trends are employee owned companies (ESPO's). Doing away with traditional management hierarchy structures that are increasingly being proven inefficient and way too top heavy on funding and pay distributions. Is Chrysler too big for this kind of buyout? Just imagining the possibilities of living in a perfect world.

OK. Now that’s some serious whining!
You blame Chrysler for axing Plymouth? It was the scoudrels at Mercedes Benz, who eliminated Plymouth. The Chrysler people who were left wanted to keep Plymouth. In fact the PT Cruiser was slated to be a Plymouth. MB decided to make it a Chrysler. The present management of Chrysler (Fiat) is not the old Chrysler management (mismanagement?) They have done some good things to turn Chrysler around, & recent sales show this.
Had Penski not jumped ship to Ford they would still be in Nascar. They are still strong in other forms of motor sports (NHRA,drifting & racing the Vipers in Europe) If they can intrest a big Nascar team in switching to Dodge they may still get back into Nascar.Don't forget they have a great Nascar engine program (good enough for Brad Keslowski to win the Cup championship!) It is certainly possible for them to get back into Sprint Cup competition.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM

I think blaming Mercedes for Plymouth's demise is like blaming a hooker for getting VD. They shouldn't have been there is the first place. So did Chrysler learn from their mistake? No! Sergio Marchionne Fiat CEO had on several occasions publically expressed a disinterest and self-admitted lack of understanding with Nascar’s allure in statements and blogs. Then 6 months later Penski goes to Ford? Chrysler saying it was Penski? I'm guessing Rodger Penski ego and price tag may have also played a part. Rumor has Mr Penski difficult to work with. But there are very few elite owners and teams out there. I also believe going to Ford does not help team Penski. The team is now just another component of the Ford racing program. Kelselowki will get mixed into the crowded Ford field. With Chrysler the team was unique and interesting. Now just another Ford Fusion out there running in circles.

I truly believe Chrysler will see slips in Challenger and Charger sales as a result. I also see Penski to start seeing a slip in sponsorship dollars in the next 2 years due to competion with the other Ford teams. A lose –lose situation which happens in business all the time.

Then again I could be totally biased and just plain old wrong!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

Well I think Penski said he got a better offer than Chrysler but I also think he had it planned alot earlier and wanted to see if Chrysler would out offer the Ford camp. I hope Chrysler starts up a new team and builds on it like Mike Waltrip did with Toyota. The money they don't spend on this years Nascar would be a good start up pot for a team for next year!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar29mod View Post
Well I think Penski said he got a better offer than Chrysler but I also think he had it planned alot earlier and wanted to see if Chrysler would out offer the Ford camp. I hope Chrysler starts up a new team and builds on it like Mike Waltrip did with Toyota. The money they don't spend on this years Nascar would be a good start up pot for a team for next year!
Makes total sense to me.

I won $50 on our $5 Nascar pool by taking Jimmy Johnson at Daytona. Did not understand why Johnson was still available in the pool after being the odds on favorite. Jimmy Johnson was quickly taken for the Phoenix race. I got Hamlin. Last year the crowd knew I drag race Mopars and left me with Kelsowski every race. Obviously made money last year. This year no factory loyalty thus the whole purpose of this thread.

Of the big owners out there Hendricks would never leave Chevy or Rouch leave Ford. But Joe Gibbs Racing? Not sure how locked he is with Toyota, but if I was Chrysler I would dangle a carrot to them and see if you get a nibble.

Petty, Waltrip, Earnhardt are really 2nd tier teams compared to the big 4. Hendricks, Rouch, Gibbs and Penski. (And I would say in that order.) I think it was cool that the big 4 all had different car and factory support. Thus did make for a somewhat factory war. Now it's just not the same.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Inactive User

Not many teams left that could jump over to Dodge, if they come back (ever). I'm 100% certain that Michael Waltrip will always be backed by Toyota. How about Tommy Baldwin Racing (#7 Dave Blaney, #36 Yeley)? Richard Petty Motorsports (#9 Ambrose, #43 Almirola)? Germain Racing (#13 Mears)? Swan Racing (#30 Stremme)? Front Row Motorsports (#35 Wise, #38 Gilliland)? Furniture Row Racing (#78 Kurt Busch)? That's about all there is to pick from. Everyone else is either part of a big mega-team, or a subsidiary (for example Stewart/Hass which may has well be part of Hendrick).
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

How about Busch brothers start their own team and go mopar! that otta stir the pot! I think Tommy Baldwin would be a good choice but his past with Bill Davis my prevent a Dodge going to him(past problems) Furniture(front) Row gets stuff from Hendrick I think. Really need something This year sucks with no Mopars....How about those Roush Yates engines! Penski didn't do his homework!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
You blame Chrysler for axing Plymouth? It was the scoudrels at Mercedes Benz, who eliminated Plymouth. The Chrysler people who were left wanted to keep Plymouth. In fact the PT Cruiser was slated to be a Plymouth. MB decided to make it a Chrysler.
Does any of that truly matter any more? What's done is done, and nothing can change that. It really doesn't matter who is to blame, or who profited, and who lost. It only mattered before it happened,and while it was happening, while things were still in motion. The aftermath is the new fact, and bemoaning those moves doesn't change a thing. It might make for good "what if" discussions, but even that is merely conjecture.

Quote:
The present management of Chrysler (Fiat) is not the old Chrysler management (mismanagement?) They have done some good things to turn Chrysler around, & recent sales show this.
I agree, there are good things happening with Chrysler, now. Let's hope that continues.

Quote:
Had Penski not jumped ship to Ford they would still be in Nascar. They are still strong in other forms of motor sports (NHRA,drifting & racing the Vipers in Europe) If they can intrest a big Nascar team in switching to Dodge they may still get back into Nascar.Don't forget they have a great Nascar engine program (good enough for Brad Keslowski to win the Cup championship!) It is certainly possible for them to get back into Sprint Cup competition.
Personally, I couldn't care less about NASCAR. It's essentially Spec car racing on a grand scale, with lots of hype, and lots of "legislation", with specified yellow flag for various TV announcements. I've lost interest almost completely.

Also personally, I'd like to see Chrysler expand it's presence in Drag Racing, especially in the Sportsman classes.