Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:46 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Guys, the only difference between a Toyota and a Dodge or a Ford, Chevy or Pontiac will be the shape of the grille, the decals and the part numbers on the engine block and heads. The carbs and everything else will be the same as all the other cars use.

If Toyotas are faster than the rest, NASCAR will slow them down. If they are slower than the rest, they will receive an aero package to make them as fast.

Winston Cup (Nextel Cup?) is a contrived series and has nothing to do with manufacturer excellence. Parity sucks...and while it might be a show, it ain't racin'.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

If they go faster than the Chebbies, they will be slowed down for sure. Toyota will be hanging on to the rear teats just like Ford & Mopar do. As far as I'm concerned, it's one more ally to add to the other side of the scale that balances GM influence &$$$. To me, all GM Nascar wins have been bogus since they managed to get the Hemis outlawed 30 years ago. Toyota will have to match the common templates & come up with their own 358 engine which Nascar has already mandated similar to the others. But, at least they will be entering the series by following the prescribed rules....NOT by getting the competition outlawed as a price for their entering. Whatever they spend, it will be a lot less than GM spends....and they will spend it on learning how to improve their vehicles within the rules.....NOT on buying rules favoritism & influence. That is how they have raced in all other series that they have entered.JMO.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

I take it the HEMI is still outlawed and not used in the new cars? I would have thought when they left the first time that they would have dropped that ban. One question, why did Dodge leave NASCAR in the beginning?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Banned

Money, Chrylser heading for bankruptcy, and the fact that they did not make a car that conformed by the rules and the hemi was not banned. You could run a heni but with a carb so small the 426 wedge would out run it with no problem. Then in 75 all big blocks were dropped and the 426 limit was reduced to 358 that they run to day. They still cant run the Hemi small blogk because the head is not an aproved nascar piece. The rules are much different these days than they were back then. Dont worry about it, you want see the Hemi cylinder head approved for use by nascar. It aint comming back.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Question What if...

Yeah, but what if the rules were slackened a little bit? Then with things like the HEMI, all the Dodges would be untouchable. The only problem with that is the rules were made to reduce the speed of the race cars. Then we would have to reduce the size of the engines enough so the competition would be able to waltz on us. I still hold my original opinion that we should see cars on the track with "production-style" engines, regardless of chamber shape. But who we gonna call?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:32 PM

The only hope is if someone started a real stock car racing series again. Maybe Bruton Smith will be mad enough at NASCAR's latest slap in the face to do exactly that.

I sold my 2 PSL's at TMS because I find Winston Cup too contrived to enjoy, but if they took 43 cars off the showroom floor, installed roll cages, fuel cells and a few other safety items, I'd gladly pay the price of a Cup race to see real stockers run.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

AMEN!

You can say that again! The only problem is that none of the big three's cars are actually ready for that. The solution is somewhere right in the middle ground! Good idea though!
Old 07-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Inactive User

Nascar has lost it way with a true form of motoracing as all 3 makes are base of front wheel drive cars and V6 engines.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Founding Member

I don't know....... it's been a long time since I watched "The King" whipping around in that '66 Satellite (those WERE the days). It was tough to watch NASCAR (read Bill France) beat up on ChryCo to satisfy the BowTie and BlueOval boys in the 60's and early 70's.
Somehow, I still can't help getting a bunch of that old feeling back again when I see the likes of Sterling grab the lead and hold on to it for a while. I guess even 30 - 40 years can't erase some things ..........

"RB"
Old 07-04-2003, 08:33 PM

I have said the same thing about stock car body work. It can be done I have buit one out of a 2000 dodge avenger like a kit car but most racers could care less. The deal I wanted to do would cost less than 22,000.00 for car to be built from the ground up. But no takers. So I'm just going to club race mine at atlanta motor speedway in agust. and @ peachstate speedway. Heres some pic www.dallasmetalproducts.com/jccarpics.htm JC.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:15 PM

JC, that's the degree of stock body I'd enjoy watching! At least it looks like a production car. What are the specs?
Old 07-04-2003, 11:24 PM

I call them the North American Super Touring Car Series (NASTCS).
I have tried to look at rules with cost in mind. Engines are crate motors one from all three makes and 18 approved bodies imports and american made.They would use gm metric frames. I think you could run all year on the motors. It takes money to get a series started and I'm not rich, maybe I'll hitthe lotto tonite. As bad as I hate to say this my second project is going to be a Honda Accord or a Toyota Solara but it will be mopar powered. JC
Old 07-05-2003, 08:39 AM

Why don't you try pitching the idea to Eddie Gossage at Texas Motor Speedway? They need another racing date that apparently NASCAR isn't going to give and Bruton Smith certainly has the bucks to start a series!

At the modest price of your cars, it sounds feasible that it's something they could subsidize to launch a series.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:06 AM

I have even thought of going to ASA and tring to get all of there take offs for the tires. I know some of the asa drivers and the BFG tires last forever. And it would keep the cost down even more and give the drivers radial tires with out spending 400 dollars a tire. And you talk about Smith I thought of that two problems, one where to start who???? and there new team series, And that thing will never fly. Riley&Scott chassis too much cost there. I call fivestarbodies about the viper body, They will be carbonfiber, and are not even made as of now. I'm working on a web site for this series it mite be up within the next six weeks. JC

Heres a better photo of the car @ a car show I went to. O and I got frist place for the all race class I thought of going tp the big chrysler car show in Pa next week. I think this will work.
http://www.northgeorgiamoparclub.com...lbum02?&page=4
Old 07-05-2003, 02:29 PM

A team racing series like TRAC will never make it. I'd be surprised to see them last through the first season.

Seriously, I would put together a package showing what you can do, the rules you propose to use, your estimated costs, etc., and send it to Eddie Gossage. I have written to him in the past, and received personal letters in return. He's a top-notch promoter and if your idea is realistic, he is someone who could visualize the potential and sell it to the right people.

I would suggest you gear the pitch to play on brand competition. Winston Cup has the personalities, but the car make is irrelevant. ASA is all Chevy powered, as will be the TRAC cars. Those of us who love to see GM v. Ford v. Mopar would strongly support a series that hyped that aspect of the sport.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:10 PM

It has all three crate motors Chev/Ford/Dodge, foreign bodys must run one of the three crate motors. Its hard to tell you about the rules with out typing them on here. Would you email me the address. JC jodycsh@aol.com
Old 07-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

I don't follow nascar too much just because I don't agree with the politics of the entire community along with all those damned left turns... So posting in here is probably asking for a flame, but who cares. Many of you guys are hootin' and hollarin' about NASCAR being an american sport. Nothing in America is TOTALLY american any more. You have got to realize that. Sure, the names of the companies are American but do you honestly think there is not a Korean/Japanese/Chinese made product ANYWHERE in these cars? Do you honestly think that every driver on the circuit is American, or that their winnings aren't in some way being sent back "home" to wherever they live/lived? Also, baseball is an american past time. THE american past time. But look at the amount of Dominican Republic and Chinese/Japanese/Asian players being shipping in to play.

When Toyota applies to run in NASCAR, if the officials say no, on WHATEVER grounds, it is going to look like we (as in Americans) are afraid of what the boys from across the ponds can run. And make no mistake about it, what the first couple of guys said, Toyota is in it for the business. There is no price they won't pay to make sure they win. So instead of bitching and moaning about it, why don't the high-payed pricks from the American teams stop crying about every dib and dab and drive. Its the only way to shut up Toyota and Nissan. I don't want to break anyone's heart but at current, Japan and Chinese, as of right now, are invading the united states, economically. They are also winning. Very rarely will you find something in this country COMPLETELY manufactured in america. They can under-price and over-produce America. Someone had better stop crying and put them in their place. Or maybe I should stop preaching and build myself a Stock Car and do all the work myself
Old 07-06-2003, 12:15 AM

I just think nascar should have a international stock car series. maybe do the rules alittle more modern V6 V8 4 banger put them on a chassis dyno if they are pumping to much hp put a plate on them, Hell every body wants more races build another series up. I'm not aginst this I wrote rules for a series two years ago. Stock car or super touring cars. Paved ovals dirt and road race see who's the best drivers. JC
Old 07-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

I'm young, stupid, and love the gas peddle. But I can gaurantee there is nothing I'd rather see than the Big Three going at it in the URHAT series (Unbridled Raw Horsepower and Torque) where there are absolutely no restrictions. Just cars, being built as light and powerful as you can going in a circle. I'd pay whatever they asked for at the gates, even the extra 45 dollars that everyone in the audience has to pay to rent helmets and safety goggles.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Banned

You need to watch World of Outlaws then. 800 plus and very little rules and all sideways at way over a 100.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 92whitedak
Sure, the names of the companies are American but do you honestly think there is not a Korean/Japanese/Chinese made product ANYWHERE in these cars? Do you honestly think that every driver on the circuit is American,

For your info unless msd or motorola uses foriegn parts all NASCAR stuff is American made. 95% of those cars are all hand made. And until Petty brought in Fittapladii they were all Amercican drivers to my knowledge.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...8/daily23.html

Quote:
Motorola Inc. has concluded a deal with TCL Mobile Communication of China to make cell phone handsets using Motorola programming and chips.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:35 AM
Banned

Well that just bites. See at least I picked the two turds that could screw it all up for us.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

I'm still working on finding MSD's connection over seas...
Old 07-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Banned

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

Car number 66 Hideo Fukuyama.... sounds like he was raised in the backwoods of Tennessee, no?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Banned

Who the heck is this guy ....
Old 07-06-2003, 01:53 AM
Inactive User

And with the announcement in February that Toyota will be joining the NASCAR curcuit, they've already pegged Juan Pablo Montoya as their driver. EVERYTHING, as stated before, is being over run by foreigners. I'm ready to charter myself to an unmapped island in international waters...
Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Banned

That's a truck ride. That dont count. If they hit Nascar though I may have to jump ship. Oh no cant do that I dont swim ...
Old 07-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Inactive User

Nascar has a history of demanding that components be ONLY American made. I don't know if that is still the rule or not.

25 years ago, I worked for a company that produced Nascar jackets. We had to certify(in blood almost) that EVERY component was US made. And, there was the infamous Edelbrock controversy of 20 years ago, when it was discovered that their intakes were machined in Mexico. Guess what, Edelbrock intakes were no longer approved!(although that was rapidly changed to all US components and labor by Edelbrock).

But, I am talking about past history. I don't know what the rule is today. With Toyota entering the series, have the rules changed? Don't know! I seem to remember Toyota was going to have the block/heads cast in the US. Maybe the US only rule is still in effect?