Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

I have a 98 Kia Sephia, 98 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corrolla) and 98 Plymouth Breeze. Here is the breakdown on the three of them:

98 Kia--110K miles, no major issues from engine and tranny except for the "flash-o-matic" engine codes and a bad catalytic convertor, 2 sets of rear wheel bearing, a rear drum, fuel pump and a broken door handle, outer, driver's side.

98 Prizm--Toyota built. 89K miles, no major issues at all with powertrain, all four inside door handles broken, AC cluster has temp knob broken off, dash is warped from the Arkansas sun almost as bad as a Chevy, head gasket at 60K, blown brake caliper.

98 Breeze, 105K--Head gasket, trans, that's it. Nothing else at all. Aside from the oil changes and maintenance, like timing belt and such, this has been perfect.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankendart72
the VW was an excellent vehicle, when used as intended, a hippy van.
So you had the psychedelic paint job and the mattress in the back, eh?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrmike
98 Breeze, 105K--Head gasket, trans, that's it. Nothing else at all. Aside from the oil changes and maintenance, like timing belt and such, this has been perfect.
And of course of all the brands mentioned, this is the only one that no longer exists. I must agree with Custom880 that a lot of the hype about the quality of the Japanese cars is just BS.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

And though much of the car is Neon based,it has done an exceptional job. The above cars (except the Breeze) are company cars we bought, but the Breeze is more comfortable, with the best dadgum seats there are, and is very comfortable at 100 mph in the western US desert states of west Texas, NM and AZ! The stretch from Kingman AZ to LV NV is awesome! :-) PCRMike
Old 06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Challenger
So you had the psychedelic paint job and the mattress in the back, eh?
Actually it was was Blue and white with red cordaroy curtains, red shag carpeting, and a matress in the back!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

And a bumper sticker that said "If This Van's a-Rockin', Don't Come a-Knockin'!"
Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

He went to the GM camp after the "rolling boxcar" couldn't win a wc event if it had to.

Only Kyle made it win in arca
Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc43
The way that is phrased makes it incorrect. NASCAR did not keep Mopar out after Petty left in '77 and I think the last Magnum ran in '79. Mopar was not building any cars that fit NASCAR specs at the time. THe Magnum was as areo as a brick and too big.

Actually the King drove the Magnum for the first 19 races of '78 and the Chevy the last 11 races of '78.
Niether car performed much better than the other judging by his finishes.
His best finish was 2 nd in the Magnum and in the Monte Carlo. I think it was more of an off year for the Pettys more than it was a manufacturer's fault.
Last I checked, my Magnum was about the same size as a Monte Carlo or a T-Bird or Montego for '78. It just wasn't a great car when you compared it to the '74 Charger that the racers were finally forced out of. There were only three or four Magnums running in '78.

In a TV interview he stated that Nascar would not let them run a Mirada in the '80 Daytona 500 and that they wanted him to run the Diplomat. Due to the Diplomat's square nose, it was 15 mph too slow.
Both Chrysler and the King initially tried to maintain thier presence in Nascar but as normal, Nascar hosed Chrysler.
Eventually the Mirada was apparently allowed, because Arrington ran one at later races.

The King won 9 races with the Ford.....including his very first race in it.

http://racing-reference.com/drivdet?...=1969&series=W
Old 06-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Inactive User

I have a feeling that Sprint cars are going to be the popular form of racing.
I know Toyota has gotten into 4 cylinder asphalt cars, but the fans were in an uproar over that deal.
I think the rules are not jamming parity down everyone's throats.
Besides that, the tickets cost about 1/3 what Nascar tickets do.

If I watch roundy roundy next year, it will be at a dirt track.
WOO would be wise to get a TV deal in the works.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelvik
Actually the King drove the Magnum for the first 19 races of '78 and the Chevy the last 11 races of '78.
Niether car performed much better than the other judging by his finishes.
His best finish was 2 nd in the Magnum and in the Monte Carlo. I think it was more of an off year for the Pettys more than it was a manufacturer's fault.
Last I checked, my Magnum was about the same size as a Monte Carlo or a T-Bird or Montego for '78. It just wasn't a great car when you compared it to the '74 Charger that the racers were finally forced out of. There were only three or four Magnums running in '78.

In a TV interview he stated that Nascar would not let them run a Mirada in the '80 Daytona 500 and that they wanted him to run the Diplomat. Due to the Diplomat's square nose, it was 15 mph too slow.
Both Chrysler and the King initially tried to maintain thier presence in Nascar but as normal, Nascar hosed Chrysler.
Eventually the Mirada was apparently allowed, because Arrington ran one at later races.

The King won 9 races with the Ford.....including his very first race in it.

http://racing-reference.com/drivdet?...=1969&series=W
The Magnum was fast enough to compete with the other brands but did not handle like the Charger, the fenders were too rounded and air would not lay on the car at speed. Neil Bonnet drove one and it was worth the price of admission to watch Neil broadside the car through the corners, you could read the right side numbers from the infield.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

if they go with toyota i want support them anymore i still dont like jap cars no matter how diverse our country is.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 PM

the fact is they (the Pettys) got power, cause Kasey is doing a fine job, where was that, Cal.? nascar took their engine, off to the dyno.3 Wins!!! And Pettys uses Evernham engines, right? Bobby Labonte is getting faster. It's great what Kyle does with Victory Junction, and I wish he was a front runner, but I don't hink he will, no matter how good the cars get. But I believe the equipment is not the problem, in cup racing.Not if they have the same stuff Evernham has! (Go ahead, prove me wrong, while you are still in a Dodge!) You gotta wonder what Nascar lets the Toyota bring out and race, why are they so good this year in the trucks, I haven't seen Bobby Hamilton jr winning much (hope Bobby sr. hangs in there) and I would like to see Brenden Gaughn running like he did, and I would be on my feet cheering when Erin Crocker wins. Gotta wonder what edge they have in the trucks. Are they ever going to allow the Hemi back in? And lately Richard Petty has said that the big tracks are the way for sponsers to go, well, if I'm going to spend my money on tickets (you get ripped off at the track anyway!) It would be at Richmond, Martinsville, or Bristol, most likley. So, stay Dodge, and keep the short tracks ! That's my 2 cents worth!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

The Petty Enterprise cars are generally running better than Evernham's #19 car.
I think that like the Penske cars, they wasted too much time messing with the Intrepid at the beginning of the year.
They still do thier own cars. That is where they are hurting.
It seems as soon as Bobby really has to push the #43, the handling just goes away whereas if he is doing a long run without having to really run against someone, he makes progress forward.
His pit crew is still sporadic in thier performance on stops.
I like Kyle and I want him to do well in the #45, but I don't think his mind is on racing as much as it should be.
I think a part time deal for him would be best.
Don't get me wrong, the #45 is still my pick every week whether he is running good or not.

I don't see Petty Enterprises going to Toyota.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Inactive User

Im really starting to lose my interest in Nascar. Not because Toyota is coming in but just because it seems like no driver, team, owner, brand etc. have any loyalty anymore, everyone just goes to whoever offers them the most money. Im a mopar man obviously, and i like to cheer for Dodge teams, but I dont even know what driver to cheer for anymore cause it seems like there always walking whenever they get the chance, example, mcmurray, mears, etc.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Inactive User

Why is toy so good in the truck series good question,my take. From every thing i have read remember when bill davis got caught with a tundra in the wind tunnel with the dodge engine and his name on the truck, and mopar cut off his factory support for doing research for toyota while contracted to dodge. Of course toyota played ignorant about the whole deal.Dont cha think davis was directing engine info and specs to toyota. Also from what i understand toy. would not sell the parts to assemble an engine,thats straight from nascar. Nascar supposedly told them they did not like the idea of T.R.D building the engines for all the teams.But who knows if nascar followed thru,doubtful. I can remember when they announced toy coming to nascar,jack roush said if nascar didnt control them they would spend as much money as it took to dominate.They have done that in every series they have been in.When they can no longer dominate they will pull out, just like they and honda have done in other series.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 AM

im just plain ole pissed off about yota in nascar it needs to be the big three liek back in teh real days of nascar
Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1 only
if they go with toyota i want support them anymore i still dont like jap cars no matter how diverse our country is.
How do you "support" the Petty team? Do you buy their merchandise, and sit in the stands an yell the drivers name?

NA$CAR couldn't give a flip what color hat you wear, as long as you buy a ticket to sit in the stands, or watch the race on TV (market share), they are making their money. If you enjoy NA$CAR, and attend or watch the races, wearing a Petty hat, a Jr. hat, a Dodge hat, a Ford hat, or a Daytona hat, they are still getting their cut.

NASCAR turned their back on ESPN, the very people who put them on the map, do you think they care if Petty is running a Dodge or a Toyota? Or even if Dodge or Ford are there next year?

NASCAR has become it's own entity. It's a show for people who enjoy watching race cars, but are not racefans. It's much lie the Indy 500. The last time I was there, it was difficult to find anyone who were true race fans, in the stands, and even in the pit area. Besides the racers and their people, most otf the spectators walking around the pit area are people who work for the cars sponsors, or were invited to attend. Not race related people, not real racing fans. Just people who are licky enough to know someone.

NA$CAR is slowly, but surly, becoming the same as IRL. Highly overpaid drivers, racing with spec cars, for people who are more interested in being seen at the track than watching the race. Yes, there are some true race fans at the tracks on Sundays too. We haven't all been pushed aside. At least not yet.

Race teams are going the same way. What loyalty should Kyle Petty have to MoPar? Most of his racing carreer has been in Pontiacs. Kyle is essentially running PE, now. Dodge went to PE because of the relationship between them, and Lee and Richard. Not because Kyle has a history with them. Think of it.. Who'd of thought that STP would ever leave PE? But they did. Loyalty play a distant second to financing. I seriously doubt that Kyle will be driving a Camry next year, but if he isn't, you can bet it's not due to any loyalty to MoPar. Rather, it will be becuase Toyota didn't make the right offer.

I really can't say that I'd blame PE for switching, if they ever did, it would definately be because of money, not shifting loyalties.

If and when NA$CAR goes to the "Car of the Future" Spec Car, it won't matter what brand they are racing anymore, anyway. If you ask me, that is the way NA$CAR is heading. Then, and only then can NASCAR fully legislate the speeds, and racing, it's self. IMO, it's just a matter of time.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM

I also heard that nisson is trying to come in and when that happens i will probably never watch another race that has anything to do with nascar
i will go to my local dirt track every saterday night but never a nascar race
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Inactive User

I hate jap crap. The thing I really hate about it is the punk kids, who are mostly in my age group, who drive around in Hondas of all things with stupid fart can mufflers and a tip that looks like a polished coffee can and neon lights under the car. Then they want to talk crap to you when they didnt do anything to their engines. Oh wait, im sorry, some add a K&N air filter and they are running like a 16.8 second 1/4 mile. Then theres some with the ones that were supposed to be made fast and they get to like the 14s and tell you "Oh I blew away a Mustang 5.0, my car is faster than any musclecar. They have no idea what a musclecar is about, know idea how an engine actually works, and then will sit there talking about how fast their car is and how they dont need displacement. Then you race them, beat them by about 10 car lengths in about an 1/8 of a mile race, and then they are like "Hey, you got 4 cylindas on me bro." I know that a limited group of them know what they are doing and actually have fast cars, but I hate those cars too because they dont make sense. They spend 20K on an engine to give them ETs that I need to spend 10K on an engine to get.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

well all you dodge and mopar guys and gals know time and unforseen things affect us all if you want to see real stock car racing today you will have to watch back in the day with bud and dale jr
Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Default racing

well all you dodge and mopar guys and gals know time and unforseen things affect us all if you want to see real stock car racing today you will have to watch back in the day with bud and dale jr
Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Default racing

well all you guys and gals who like racing today realize that time and unforseen things affect us all if you want to see real nascar racing todayall you have to do is watch back in the day with bud and dale jr
Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolGrip440-6
I hate jap crap. The thing I really hate about it is the punk kids, who are mostly in my age group, who drive around in Hondas of all things with stupid fart can mufflers and a tip that looks like a polished coffee can and neon lights under the car. Then they want to talk crap to you when they didnt do anything to their engines. Oh wait, im sorry, some add a K&N air filter and they are running like a 16.8 second 1/4 mile. Then theres some with the ones that were supposed to be made fast and they get to like the 14s and tell you "Oh I blew away a Mustang 5.0, my car is faster than any musclecar. They have no idea what a musclecar is about, know idea how an engine actually works, and then will sit there talking about how fast their car is and how they dont need displacement. Then you race them, beat them by about 10 car lengths in about an 1/8 of a mile race, and then they are like "Hey, you got 4 cylindas on me bro." I know that a limited group of them know what they are doing and actually have fast cars, but I hate those cars too because they dont make sense. They spend 20K on an engine to give them ETs that I need to spend 10K on an engine to get.
Well, I don't, necessarily, disagree with you, I'm just not sure how that has to do with rumor of Dodge leaving NA$CAR.