Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Biggrin Just bought a Neon!

I got it from my nephew in law! It's a 99 R/T 5 speed DOHC with 108,000 miles.
The only thing wrong with it is he got into a minor fender bender with it and got rear ended. It popped the right corner of the bumper off the clip, broke the gas door and wrinkled the corner slightly so that's when my niece started talking minivan and they needed to get rid of it!
He took good care of it, the interior is nice except where the door hinges on the driver's door sagged and it pops off the door panel when you open the door. I'm going to head for the local dealership and buy a pair of door hinges and a gas door. Now I only have to decide if I'm going to put it back on the road or stick it on my trailer and go parking lot racing with the SCCA guys in Charleston WV!
BTW, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get a windage tray? I expect the DOHC has the same pan as the SOHC 2.0 which is a flat flange like a big block Mopar and a windage tray should slide right in with an extra gasket.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

Cool Phil! Have fun with it!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Wink

Find out if the timing belt has been changed. If not do it. And change the water pump while you have it apart. My water pump seized & took out the belt. Bent valves are not a pretty site. I loved the '97 Neon I had and willl buy another.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM

It's had one belt change, but I expect it's due for another. He neglected the belt change and ended up putting a new head on it. I expect a belt and a water pump will be the first thing once I put it on the road.
I've always wanted one and this one kind of fell in my lap. I'd always told him that if he ever wanted to sell it, I had 1st dibs.
He had a DOHC 4 door before this one, but that one got sideswiped and totaled. Unfortunately the insurance company got away with that one before I got to make an offer on it, I'd have liked to put that engine in my 96 Breeze.
Oh, one last thing, it's black and most of the paint is still good except for the top of the spoiler, an easy fix.