Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

Default spedo don"t work & wont shift HELP

Hello all
Im atempting to buy a 02 Neon and the trans will not shift out of first to second, weather you manually shift or go to 5 grand RPMs it will not even try to shift. The speedo does not work either.
The owner said that they changed the speed sensors and modgual, they also said that they changed the computer which was not for that car etc and it didnt work either <<<<< but it was not for that car.
Can any one tell me where to start??
Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Thumbs down

With the trans problem I'd start with a differen't car, Don't buy it.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 PM

If the speedo isn't working then that's why it's not shifting. Sounds like they threw all the parts that the system has at it except for the wiring.

Get it cheap especially if they don't fix it. And check the wires I bet they are shorted or open.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Thanks JVM,,,, Since I could tell by the pan gasket, the fluid hadn't been changed,, It looked good and didn't have an odor to it, I bought the car which seams to be in great shape other than the trans prob for 800 bucks.. even though I could see that the speed sensors had been changed I pulled them out and used an ohm meeter on them which tested the same as a new one. so I talked to a few trans shop guys one of the best tranny guys told me to change the plug ends that goes to the speed sensors, It will be thursday before I take it to him to fix.
Well see then, and Ill post the results.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM

I think your on track as I do remember that some had problems with the terminals inside the connector. Duh you can't always remember everything I guess.