Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM

Question '97 dohc Neon timing belt

My wife's 97 Neon (DOHC) seems to have jumped a tooth or 2 on the timing belt The car will not start. I know these are an "interference" engine. What do you think are the chances that the valves are not bent? The belt did not break it still turns on the cam sprokets (as viewed thru the access "window" on the belt cover). How hard of a job is a timing belt replacement on this engine? -Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM

They are probably bent. The belt isn't horrible to do but there is a special puller for the harmonic balancer. I believe the waterpump drives off of the timing belt too. I always try and install a new pump when I do a timing belt. You can do a compression test or cylinder leak down test after you get the timing reset to see if the valves are bent.

You may be able to see the tops of the pistons through the spark plug hole. If you can look for valve marks on the pistons. If there are marks they are bent.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

I've done a couple of these, the lugs were stripped off the belt at the crank gear. Both happened while the engine was idling, no damage resulted. Just lucky maybe?