Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

Default Vatican OKs Aliens

Doctrinal evolution:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080514/...mgYwxVEnMPLBIF

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's chief astronomer says there is no conflict between believing in God and in the possibility of intelligent life on other planets that is perhaps even more evolved than humans.

"In my opinion this possibility (of life on other planets) exists," said Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, a 45-year-old Jesuit priest who is head of the Vatican Observatory and a scientific adviser to Pope Benedict.

"How can we exclude that life has developed elsewhere," he told the Vatican newspaper in an interview in its Tuesday-Wednesday edition, explaining that the large number of galaxies with their own planets made this possible.

Asked if he was referring to beings similar to humans or even more evolved than humans, he said: "Certainly, in a universe this big you can't exclude this hypothesis."

But, in the interview headlined "The extraterrestrial is my brother," he said he saw no conflict between belief in such beings and faith in God.

"Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures on earth, there can be other beings, even intelligent, created by God. This is not in contrast with our faith because we can't put limits on God's creative freedom," he said.

"Why can't we speak of a 'brother extraterrestrial'? It would still be part of creation," he said.

Funes, who runs the observatory which is based south of Rome and in Arizona, held out the possibility that the human race might actually be the "lost sheep" of the universe.

"There could be (other beings) who remained in full friendship with their creator," he said.

The Vatican Observatory is one of the world's oldest astronomical institutes. As early as the end of the 1700s, three Vatican-sponsored observatories were studying the stars from Rome, and in 1891 Pope Leo XIII formally established the Vatican Observatory inside the Vatican behind St Peter's dome.

By 1935, Rome's urban sprawl made stargazing difficult, so Pius XI moved the observatory to the summer palace south of Italy's capital. Since 1981, the principal observing site has been the Vatican's research institute in Tucson, Arizona.

Funes, an Argentine, said he believed as an astronomer that the most likely explanation for the start of the universe was "the big bang," the theory that it sprang into existence from dense matter billions of years ago.

But he said this was not in conflict with faith in God as a creator. "God is the creator. There is a sense to creation. We are not children of an accident ...," he said.

"As an astronomer, I continue to believe that God is the creator of the universe and that we are not the product of something casual but children of a good father who has a project of love in mind for us," he said.

(Reporting by Philip Pullella, editing by Tim Pearce)
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM

It would be interesting watching E.T. genuflect.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

"Funes, an Argentine, said he believed as an astronomer that the most likely explanation for the start of the universe was "the big bang," the theory that it sprang into existence from dense matter billions of years ago."

Maybe Gabriel can tell me why none of this is mentioned in the Bible and also give his views on what existed before the "big Bang"? Did God cause the big bang or was he a result of it? If he was not a result of it where did God come from/when? -Bob
Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

Well, in parochial school I was taught that man was created in God's image and that there are no other beings in the universe other than humans. That we are God's ultimate achievement. It would therefore be quite the theological contradiction if aliens were proven to exist via eyewitnesses or physical evidence. I'm a firm believer in life outside our solar system and subscribe to the Drake Equation.

I expect to see more of these types of preemptive shifts by the church to counter the eventual contradictions to their doctrine.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 572 View Post
Well, in parochial school I was taught that man was created in God's image and that there are no other beings in the universe other than humans. That we are God's ultimate achievement. It would therefore be quite the theological contradiction if aliens were proven to exist via eyewitnesses or physical evidence. I'm a firm believer in life outside our solar system and subscribe to the Drake Equation.

I expect to see more of these types of preemptive shifts by the church to counter the eventual contradictions to their doctrine.

Ironically it can be looked at as dogmatic evolution. I humbly predict that this will become much more commonplace as advanced technology reveals more and more about the makeup and genesis of the universe. Look for some real good information to come out of the new European super collider. -Bob
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

There has to be intelligent life somewhere else in the universe... There's far too many idiots on this planet! lol
Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Don't forget that memorable story in the Weekly World News about how "Aliens Back Clinton" back in '92. I wonder if the'll back Shrillary?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Well it figures that the only ones that would be foolish enough to vote for that commie b*tch would be a non-citizen! lol
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

So many aliens, but no flying s......