Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-26-2002, 12:56 AM

Default High School Auto Shop memories

Man, thinking back to my high school days, I faintly remember my two years in auto shop. We had some cool stuff. A Sun distributor machine, a valve grinder, a rotor and drum turner, an armature lathe, about 6 Mopar Big Blocks ( I remember the skirted mains) 4 dual cylinder lifts, The "steamin Demon", a scary gas fired steam cleaner that had to be warmed up for 30 minutes, and alot of Snap-On tools. Boy, the fun I could have in there now for 2 hours a day! I also remember how old all that stuff seemed to be, like antique old....We had a piston knurler! when was the last time you knurled an iron Model T piston??
Old 10-26-2002, 01:54 AM

Yeah, I remember those days... I used to spend all day in the Auto Shop working on my 70 Firebird.. I spent 3 years building and putting a 396 Chev motor in it, Turbo 400 and 12 bolt posi with 4.11 gears... Then I finally finished it with a couple weeks left in school in my senior year... I took it out, broke it in.. and then got SPANKED by a 1970 440 Challenger.... That really irked me..

So what did I do....

I now have (1) 440 Cuda and (2) 440 Challengers.. One Cuda and One Challenger are Strip only... and of course my 440 6Pack Hemi 4 speed clone is for the street so I can go looking for Firebirds!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:51 AM

I remember auto shop. We (OK I) would charge up a condensor coil and then toss it to someone and say 'catch'. It was always fun to watch the expression on someones face, when it would dis-charge.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

I am only 21, so my high school auto shop was filled with small block shivvys and a bunch of outdated POS equipment. I actually saw my instructor knurl a set of 350 pistons, run brass welds down the sides of connecting rods to balance them, and build the turd outside with the leaves and sand blowing into it while he left it uncovered during 15 minute break. His favorite saying: "You bore those 305s .030 and they'll run good." Some of the other guys who knew better and I spent most of our time laughing at him and trying to blow the donor vehicles up in between the shop and the parking lot. I had to learn how to do it right from an old guy with a couple of R-code clone Galaxies. Mopar or not, those things were pure evil.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

Default lessons learned

One of the things I'll never forget is when my instructor pointed out the varsol soaked rags someone had inadvertantly placed on a window sill in the summertime. After a short while in the sun, they were smoking and ready to start a fire, and right next to the varsol parts cleaner too. To this day, 28 years later, I still am very cautious with rags or paper towels with any sort of chemicals on them. I may want my mopar hot, but not THAT hot.

Bruce
Old 10-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

Auto shop, you mean they actually exist?! I thought that was only on tv shows like saved by the bell. My high school had a huge woodworking shop with lots of working equipment, but the sucky "shop" teacher hardly ever allowed students to go in there. Instead we just copied word definitions out of textbooks that were printed in the mid '70's. I remember one of our few projects, the principal made us build a bunch of bookshelves and a big wall in the kindergarten classroom. Too bad no-one ever taught us how to use a square, you can imagine how those projects turned out.

I graduated in 2000 by the way.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Inactive User

Default Shop classes? Can't have High School without....

...shop classes! Welding class, machining class, woodworking class, auto-body class, auto-mechanics class and electronics class!

Our grade nine auto-mech project was to make an ash-tray out of an old piston. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! Later on, we also rebuilt engines, and did brake jobs. So much fun, I miss my youth.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

My auto shop teacher had a little business going. I would do 1 or 2 brake jobs a day for him, maybe a tune up, and he would charge 40 or 50 bucks over parts. I worked on every teacher's car (and the principal and vice principlal). I scored a steel 440 crank out of there and a 3.55 8 3/4 sure grip and lots of chebby parts that I sold off, so I couldn't complain much. Something very satisfying about doing a brake torque in your teacher's car...
Old 11-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

Default auto shop

They still exist. In fact that is what I'm going to do when I get out of school very shortly. I'm going to teach classes like that to kids. woods and auto shop stuff like that and also attempt to save programs that might be going under.

Back when I was in highschool we had a very nice auto shop and I graduated in 1997. We had a mohawk lift like the dealers and diagnostic scan tools, headlight aimer. Complete engine rebuilding station, all kinds of nice tools. We did oil changes,brake jobs, exhausts, suspension, etc etc for $$$ for this program. I'm not sure if it still exists because they guy who ran it retired a year or two ago and it might be gone. I now am at college and we have the same kind of lab here.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:15 AM
Inactive User

I was in Refrigeration and heating but my buds were in Automechanics. my favorite memory was of a friend of mine was working on this kids 71 Cuda 383 automatic car. he put a shift kit in it and was taking it around the school for a test run. Got to the otherside of the school and decided he was gonna do a burnout!!!
BIG MISTAKE!!! he mashed the gas dropped it into first and the guts puked out the bottom!!! it was even funnier as the owner was standing right next to me and he was egging him on hooting and hollering at him. Till his tranny puked on the road!!!! LOL!!! Went from smiles to tears in about 15 seconds!!! LOL!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:27 AM
Banned

We had a teachers aid or test stand if you like. This was pro built and bought by the school. It had a motor underneath and a control knob to adjust how many rpm the motor would spin the hei dist. that was visible to us. looked almost like a dist. set up machine
It had all 8 wires and plugs mounted on top so you could watch them fire. I thad a covered box with throw switches to create a problem for the student to diagnos.
We had a better use for it. It had a short a/c cord so it took a min. of 3 people to do this. The guy in the middle had the best spot and the guys on each end had the worst.
We would take the plug wires off and one guy would hold them. Then 2 or more would form a chain holding hands real tight so spark don't jump. The last guy in line would hold the door knob (brass). Turn the machine on and you could see our biceps jump. First guy back from lunch got zapped !!!! HEHE !!!
Then it happened one day. First guy back was shop teacher. We heard him cus for the first time when it through him back against the hall wall (narrow hall). We got to our seats in time, but that ended the fun right there.
I never said I was involved with that, and that's my story and I'm stickin to it.......................
Old 11-10-2002, 06:29 AM
Banned

P.S. I don't think Sanborns too much older than I so he might remember that machine. If not I know he knows "Buck" Carroll and G. McDonald...HEHE...shop teachers....
Old 11-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Inactive User

Default .509 cam install

.509 cam install
Old 11-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

Default shop

I remember auto shop. there was one teacherwe hated, someone put his oil filter on with an Ingersol gun. That was also where I learned the hard way about LH lug nuts. At least it wasn't my car
Old 11-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

lmao!!! poor shop teacher... I can just see the guy getting thrown across the hall when he touched the door knob... Wheee!

I wish my school had a shop class. I'd even let them wrench on my '65 f-100. Oh wait, no i wouldn't... people in my school are idiots. nevermind!
Old 11-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

True story man. Given you guys bad ideas aint I. I did not do it.......That's my story and I'm sticking too it........ hehehehe
Old 11-22-2002, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

I had some friends trying to swap carbs on a jacked up Ford one time in auto tech. The replacement carb was way too rich and had caused a carb fire when they were trying to restart the truck. I saw a guy throw a gas soaked shop towel on it by accident. You have never seen so many rednecks come out from under the hood so quickly! LOL After that, most of them gave up and went back to standing in the corner and telling lies about their relative's "bad ass" cars that nobody had ever seen.