Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default Mini Starter

As of right now, I have a problem fitting on the wires to the tranny and lack normal key starting operations. So as a quick fix, I borrowed a racers trick and have a puch button. The question is;

Would/can I burn something out on the mini starter quickly?
Seloniod inside?

I might be due for a battery. It's been awhile. However, the story goes like;

Went to start Duster 2 days ago....click click click. (Damn!)
OK, Jump battery with charger starter. Read voltage @ 20 volts. Go to start car....click click click.... (Damn!)
Swap out mini's and Va-Rooom. (ALLLRIGHT!!!!!)
Move car to work on Dodge, finish Dodge (For now) and hop into Duster, Turned over twice. 1. Forgot to turn on key. OK 2. Turn on key, forget to pump gas once. OK Still turning. Pump gas once, nothing but click click click... DAMN! Tryed again with charger starter on there. Click Click Click. Double damn.

Whatcha think? Starter?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

Load test battery. It can and will show good voltage until you load it, then voltage will drop to nothing and car will do as describe.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

Bad connection somewhere.
I have push button for my starters in my race cars, there isnt a problem there, but those push buttons do take a crap once and a while.
I suspect a bad cable connection, did you disconnect the battery when you took the starter off, maybe the terminals are dirty is all, and messing with them made it start a few times.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Cables are tight. There old and crappy, but there on tight. I took the old starter down to AutoZone for a test and the kid said is was bad. There replacement starter was under $75.

The battery had a basic voltage tester on it and it dropped like a stone when I tried to start it up.

Bad switch....hummm. I'll have to get the screw driver oput and do it that way. Cross the terminals on the starter relay.
Thats how I have the push button start hooked up on the Duster.
On the Dodge Magnum, the relay is different, I went right to the starter.

Which way is better ? I don't know?

I'm not due for a battery. But we all know that could mean squat. (I think I'l be getting one soon.)
Old 06-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Take your battery down to Autozone and have them load test it, like it was said,you can have <12V at battery but when you put a load on it, (60A+ starter pull) and itll go down to a level that cant turn the stator. I dont know if the small starters pull any more amps than the normal Mopar monster starters (not likely) but your cables and connections are very important in this high amp circuit. I had a great looking + cable in my Suburban, clean ends, etc. would crap out as soon as a load was put on it, new one solved that at 2.99, cheap! Nothing wrong with jumping the starter with a screwdriver or a pushbutton, but get one rated for the amp draw.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

Had a battery do that from O'Reilly's less than two months old. :-)PCRMike
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Well, I went to Auto Zone and there machine just said "BAD, Replace" I'm going to take it apart.

Heres a kicker, I installed another mini starter, and that gave 3 tries to start and quit working as well. (Psssssssst, I think there union and it's a wildcat strike)
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Inactive User

Are you sure the relay on the fender is tight(grounded).? I had one loose not grounding to the inner fender and it started when it wanted to.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Inactive User

A battery should not go below 10.6 volts when cranking engine. This is from the NAPA Bear battery tester we have. You said voltage dropped like a stone when loaded, this is part of the problem. Cables that look good, sometimes aren't. They can have a lot of resistance from old age and use. Push button start is ok if switch is rated high enough for amp draw. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

Sorry accidental entry. Can't figure out how to delete this reply