Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Ghost Pedal

I've got a Holley 4160 with the fuel transfer tube. When driving normally it's great. On the highway you let off the throttle the gas pedal returns great. The return springs are in good shape with good tension. But when at a stop if you goose the throttle and let off it takes off. Goes for 300 ft before it settles down. The gas pedal literally leaves your foot before returning. Kinda scary when it first happened now I drive two pedal.

Anyone have any idea's? I'm kinda thinking that the secondary spring may be too weak and when the primarys are snapped shut the vacuum raises so rapidly the secondarys are sucked open.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Confused sticking?

If you only have a spring on the top pulling forward try puting a spring on the lower half pulling rearward. Some times the shafts will bind when they are only being pulled one way. I had something like this happen on one of my old holleys and the extra spring pulling the other way fixed it.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 AM

Carbs gone wild! I would try the counter acting spring too. I had a carb stud fall out into my secondaries, jamming them open on a Carter AFB. As I was already at WOT passing somebody on the hiway, I didnt notice it until I let up and I kept going. Turned the ignition off and coasted to a stop. Glad it only went that far. I was young and thought that running an open carb made you go faster...
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM

Checked your motor mounts? Torquing of the motor when goosing the throttle can put the transmission linkage in a bind and cause what you are describing.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM

I'll take a look. It's weird because the only time that it happens is from a dead stop. If your cruising it's just fine just.

It's even happened once just pulling out of a parking lot and I didn't give it much throttle, just hammer the brakes and let the tires chirp. It is kinda scary.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD View Post
Checked your motor mounts? Torquing of the motor when goosing the throttle can put the transmission linkage in a bind and cause what you are describing.
Same thing happened to a car I had one time. Drivers side motor mount was bad.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD View Post
Reminds me of when I was about 16 had the same problem. Step on the gas just hard enough, the motor would jump up and suck the gas pedal to the floor. 55 chevy, (sorry guys my pre mopar days) had a solid rod to carb linkage. Scared me at first, but just push in the clutch and back down came the motor and back to idle. So you could try that, or pop into neutral with a auto tranny. But kind of doubt it would be that with mopars cable carb linkage. OH and yes I did fix that broken motor mount right away......
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

LD, has the point!!! Check the mounts!!
Ray