Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 AM

Default fired up the 340

Got the 340 running tonight. I had a friend helping. It fired right up and I adjusted the timing. We ran it up to 2500 RPM and ran it for 20 minutes. No leaks! I had sealed the timing cover bolts that go into water jackets that were not sealed at the machine shop that were leaking. The freeze plugs quit leaking on their own. I guess they expanded or something but they are not even seeping anymore even under pressure. I will keep my eye on them though. I didn't have to use stop leak after all. (so far anyway) Motor sounds good.
I would have taken it out and drove it but it started snowing. Bummer!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

Snow is no excuse! 1500+ hp works just fine in snow too, don't have to use them all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAT1V-wKnKs
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartGT66 View Post
Snow is no excuse! 1500+ hp works just fine in snow too, don't have to use them all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAT1V-wKnKs
How about cold? We just had a -40 night. And yes that is the temperature where Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same. Even my heated garage can only get to 45. Let alone the 4 feet of snow between the door and the street. (The Hot Rod garage is in the back yard.) January in Minnesota is not fit for man, beast or machine. I'd trade winters with a Finlander any day. Although after a little research you all are not much better. Anyone from Mexico?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

Default There is nothing

(Almost) as thrilling as the first fire lit in a new engine. When we fired the 365 in The Demon, with no exhaust plumbed after the headers, it was a spiritual experience. I think that's why we do this stuff. Goose bumps!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Yeah I broke my engine in without mufflers. Kinda hard to communicate with the others :-) WHAT???
Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kinsley View Post
Yeah I broke my engine in without mufflers. Kinda hard to communicate with the others :-) WHAT???
I did the same. I think one might hear a problem better with mufflers. But it is exciting. You know the fun part is getting close. But again it's a little stressful. Like your kid's first day of school. It’s sometimes hard not to have bad thoughts, like "Wonder if the cam is chewing down" I have swore I even hear things that are not there. It's totally different when it's your motor and money.

I hope the very best with your efforts. And may all Chevy owners continue the drooling. They secretly want a Mopar! Fear is the only thing in their way. So they saved a couple of bucks to be a Chevy pack member. Both Nascar and NHRA did not change their rules because for any GM. It was so GM could compete. OK, sorry about the rant. It's already been a long Winter.