Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Default Super easy way to get your oil pump driveshaft out

I'm getting ready to put my freshly-rebuilt 5.2 into my Dakota (doing a 3.9-5.2 swap) and one thing I want to do is prime the oil pump before starting the engine. However, on the LA and Magnum engines, the oil pump driveshaft (AKA intermediate shaft) is a pain to remove because it is geared to the camshaft; on most engines, the gear is on the distributor so with the distributor pulled out, the oil pump shaft removes easily. Another reason I might need to pull the intermediate shaft is if I need to change the gear setting when I'm setting up the initial fuel sync (I marked everything when I pulled the distributor out).

The suggestions online for how to remove the intermediate shaft tell you to put a screwdriver in the drive slot and use it to turn the gear backwards, forcing the shaft to climb up the cam gear until it disengages. Then, you need to put something underneath the gear to pull it MOST OF the way out (hook made out of a coat hanger for example). Then, once the shaft gets up high enough that the gear gets close to the distributor hole, you can't get it any higher since the gear is a tight fit in the distributor hole; the gear won't go through the hole with your hook tool attached to it. At this point you need to grab the gear with something else (snap ring pliers in the distributor drive slot, for example) and then you can remove your hook and pull the shaft the rest of the way out.

After thinking about it for a while, I finally hit on the super-easy way to pull the intermediate shaft out; I tested it this morning, and it works! Just put the tip of your shop vac on it and pull it out! It comes out in just a few seconds! I thought about using a magnet, but apparently that's a bad idea since it might permanently magnetize the gear, which would attract metal particles and possibly cause excessive wear.

Last edited by goose; 05-20-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Never thought I'd that

Tags
distributor , gear , intermediate , pull , shaft