Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 PM

Default 727 whine...?

Hi guys, sorry first post being a question and not help.....

I have a 1952 Willys/Overland Pick-up I have on a Grand wagoneer chassis, late 70's vintage. It is using a well built 360, mated to a two wheel drive 727 tranny with a reverse manual slap shifter system.....it has been releatively babied with little hard labour applied to it. It has been shown off a few times etc etc....wasting rubber is the result..lol. So after last nights little show merging into cottage traffic I am noticing a whine coming from underneath in the tranny area that comes mostly when I let off the power and stays around for a bit then gets noticable quieter until I load it back and it disappears, then repeats after loading etc.
The tranny was built by a well known in our area tranny builder who specializes in drag cars and sends his trannys all over North America. He says it's good for 800HP I may have half of that...just guessing. But the truck is heavy and the tires are large and also heavy. Just truck tires not mudders....something to fill the wheel wells correctly. They are hard to spin up well with the HP I am using or what is available to me. That should give you the idea of how much HP I actually have to break stuff with...?
What are your thoughts? This is a new sound from a normally very strong running set up. I'm getting older now and really don't need to start tearing into a tanny if it's the rear end side gears etc..? It's an open diff and usually just one tire spins. Sorry....It wasn't built to be a racer or drag vehicle, just a good solid engine mated to a better tranny. Always the weakest link that breaks. So make that the engine.....not every other part the engine can destroy.

Thanks in advance...any and all help is greatly appreciated...

Willys
Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM

Sounds more like a pinion bearing noise. They tend to whine more under load and coasting. If you had the tires and drums off the rear axle you should have about 30 in lbs of torque to turn and keep the pinion in motion. Measured with a beam style torque wrench.

New pinion bearings alone should have 30 in lbs, Used 10-20 in lbs. Same really for the carrier bearings.

If the pinion has lost it's preload the correct way to repair is to replace the bearings, but If the bearings are just worn and not pitted I have just tightened the pinion nut a bit to make pinion bearing noise go away.

Tags
built , engine , hard , heavy , tranny