Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Default my plymouth is too hot!!

I live in sunny and HOT Florida and have a 56 Plymouth with a 408 stroker small block, with headers and have a temperature problem. Today was in the high 60's and the Plymouth ran like a dream never even hitting 180 degrees. During the summer it runs cool enough if I'm moving but heaven help me if I have to stop at a light. The temperature quickly tries to go north of 195 degrees.

I have an aluminum radiator that spans all the available space on the radiator support and a pair of electric puller type fans in a shroud. I'm thinking the fans just don't pull enough air and I need to put more powerful ones in their place. Am I on the right path or should I be looking at something else to keep the temperature down when I stop moving in 90 degree outside temps?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by dougsoldcars; 11-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Seems like it keeps up when you are moving, so how does the air move through the radiator when you are stopped? Can it escape the engine compartment, or does it back up and prevent flow through the radiator?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:50 PM

good point.I'm not sure but what the engine compartment is confined enough that the air may not escape and having tubular headers probably doesn't help.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 AM

I know engine compartments in those days were pretty big, but the engines were lower reving and made a lot less power. You are right the amount of heat from the headers is compounding things. You might look into a thermal wrap also. I think that is an easier project that getting the hot air out.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Similar problem, I found the car was running very lean, and timing was off. I put in the aluminum radiator with electric fans and 165* thermostat and still heated up in traffic. Fattened the carb and got timing right, problem solved.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Definitely things that need to be checked. Timing retarded or too lean both generate extra heat. Great suggestion.

Last edited by Lostviking; 11-19-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 PM

Properly venting when filling the radiator eliminates air pockets. Disconnect heater hoses at fire wall to vent air when filling system. Or drill small holes in thermostat so air vents out when filling. Over heating problem should be gone.

Tags
moving , plymouth , radiator , stop , temperature