Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 AM

Default 360 balancing act

I'm ditching my 318 for a la 360 in my 85 RC. The new 360 is balanced but not sure if it affects what harmonic balancer I need. The machine shop also suggested a flex plate that will work with both the small and large TC. Sure would appreciate some balanced comment.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Balancers are designed to self adjust to dampen rotation wobbles that occur with all engines. To a point that is. Balancing a motor assures you are within a balancer's performance threshold. Aftermarket performance balancers have tighter tolerance and thus tighter harmonic vibration curve at higher RPMs. I have never had any issues with Mopar Performance balancers. ATI is the leader in aftermarket balancers that I've seen.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Find out if the engine is internally balanced or externally balanced.
If it's internally balanced then it's the same as the 318 or 340 engine and a neutral harmonic balancer is required.
If its externally balanced then you will need a weighted balancer as well as a converter with a weight on it. This way you can use a neutral flex plate.
Romac is another good balancer manufacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Romac balancer.JPG (21.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM

The fact that the machine shop recommended a specific flexplate tells me it's externally balanced. The 360LA has the largest amount of external balance of any Mopar, so balancing internally is way expensive.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 AM

While ATI have the name, BHJ Dynamics in California also do some excellent harmonic balancers. A quick look on their website didn't show up a balancer for the 360 but I'm sure they do one.

The harmonic balancer's job is quite complex. This 'White Paper' from BHJ gives a lot of information about the many variables and different types of balancers used in all types of engines:

Damper Technology White Paper : HarmonicDampers.com by BHJ Dynamics, Performance Harmonic Dampers, Harmonic Balancers and Specialty Crankshaft Vibration Dampers

Tags
balanced , flex , plate , shop , suggested