Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:13 PM

Default Big block 383 stock initial timing settings?

I have a 70 RR with a stock 383 only changes are a Holley 750 and Pertronix electronics distributor change over. Just wondering what anyone else is setting their timing numbers at?
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2022, 10:13 PM

you should set your timing to about 36° btdc @ 3000 rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected and the hose plugged.

for the initial startup, 12° BTDC static timing should get you running.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I don't at the moment have a way other than by ear to tell when i'm in the 3000 rpm range.But i heard that the total advance is pretty much all in at 2500rpm but i don't know that for fact.My initial setting at idle is probably leaning towards the 15degree mark and it fires right off cold and warm and no pinging on hard acceleration.So maybe i got lucky and this is where this 383 likes to run.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:31 PM

in all probability, timing IS all in at 2400-2500. the 3000 is simply to make sure that any modifications to the distributer curve (through design or sticky parts) is accounted for. 15° initial is probably a bit much, 440 engines typically range from 8 to 12° factory specs. a 383 won't be much if any different. my engine has 12° btdc initial timing. this gives me 36° btdc 'all in'. some engines run as much as 38°, but you have to determine your engine's best testing and tuning. i wont run mine that high, its performance drops noticeably when i do. you also may run into heating issues with 38°. and you can't really trust things like stock gauges or fan clutches to indicate how hot an engine actually is getting. at least i can't. i added the holley sniper throttle body FI system to my truck, i was SHOCKED at what was going on temperature-wise. it would probably be very much worth your while to beg, borrow, buy, or steal a dial-back timing light and set your 'all-in' timing. then record your idle timing (with the timing light in regular (or default) mode so you don't have to do all of that again unless you change distributors. timing rarely changes unless you do something to change it. the distributor curve is what determines what your initial timing is. the "all in" timing thing sets the MAXIMUM amount of advance the engine gets. idle timing is pretty much not changeable without recurving the distributor. set the 'all in' and the rest is what it is.

Tags
change , electronics , stock , timing , wondering