Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-03-2000, 05:10 AM
Inactive User

Would it be possible to use a turbo off of a vehicle other than a ram, for my ram 360, or a turbo off of a cummings. I have heard that you can pick up used turbos at junkyards for cheap and was wondering if you can inter change turbos between different vehicles? If so what kind of fabrication would I have to do in order to use it?

Thanks Justin
Old 04-03-2000, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

Justin: Turbos don't care what engine they are on, but have to be the correct size for the application. I you go for a used one, try to find an application that is the same airflow (rpm and dispacement)and boost level that you want. It is usually easier to find two four cylinder turbos that are right for a v-8 than a single one, and they work better. Be careful with junk yard turbos, they are famous for being 98% worn out. Have a turbo or diesel shop check out whatever you plan on buying.

Be aware that the mounting of the turbo is probably one of the easiest parts of turbocharging a vehicle, with proper fuel delivery being the most important.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by turbododge (edited April 03, 2000).]
Old 04-03-2000, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

Do you know of which vehicles have a turbo that is suitable for a 360. Or with the twin turbo thought in mind any four cylindar factory tubos that would work. Is there any danger in using a turbo that is to small, such as using one turbo off of a four cylindar, or would the horsepower increase be worth it.

Thanks Justin
Old 04-03-2000, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

At my local library, there is a book that lists cars, trucks, and bikes that have turbos, as well as how to install turbos. It was kinda old (I think is was published in '84), but it listed specs about the engines the turbos were on (also since it was old, you'd be more likely to find them at the junkyards). Unfortunately, I don't remember the title of the book, but you could probibly find something similar at your library.
Old 04-03-2000, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

I may still have that book at home, I'll look for it later. The biggest engine that comes to mind as a 4 banger would be the 2.3 Ford turbo from the Mustangs and Turbo coupe T-birds. With them I think you would be very rpm limited. If you go too small on a turbo, you will overspeed it and/or develop way too much exhaust manifold pressure, without getting adequate boost. If I remember correctly, you want about 3 times as much exhaust manifold pressure as inlet pressure. Anybody out there know of a turbo engine in the 2.6 to 3.0 liter range?
Old 04-04-2000, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Thank you everybody for the help if you think of anything else please pass it on to me or if you get a chance and don't mind email me at Jsitz69@aol.com.

Thanks Justin
Old 04-04-2000, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

A friend of mine has been making and just started to look at marketing turbo kits on the net, they are a complete system to go with fuil injection that is part of the kit and are of stanless steel construction if you are interested I'll get his number for you.