Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-28-2001, 03:08 PM
Inactive User

I got it to idle pretty good, put in 6.5 PV,AND SET BACK CARB AT 1/2 TURNbut still is running like crap.i think maybe its my dist.(msd). it doesnt run smooth ,not even at 3-4000 rpms ,still lopeing,i changed timing while running at this rpm,still doesnt help.got blue springs and blue stopper in dist. which lets dist. timing go in at 2800 and 18 more on timing. with timing set at 14 gives me 32 total.like i said i gave it more and less total and it runs irradick,and i can hear exhaust tone sounds different at 3-4000 ,like motors working hard.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:15 PM
Inactive User

well i went back and put on a different set of wires and pulled a couple while itr was running and #7,8 wasnt firing at a idle so i cleaned the carbs and no difference so i opened mixture screws to 1turn on rear carb and it run better,took it for a ride and ,now on front two cylinders but mixture screws on front seem to work fine but front are still not firing at idle and it seems to crackle out tail pipes at idle and engine kinda shutters at rpms.
i was wrong about 6.5 PV.it was a no name in it .it looked like the venchuri's can get some fuel then when vacuum falls PV opens to let it have even more through venchuri's ,is this correct.
im seem to run 10-12" of vac. at idle .but isnt idling very nice .
Old 04-29-2001, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

There shouldn't be any fuel coming off the venturies during idle. Idle fuel is discharged from orifices by the butterflies. There is also a vertical slot near the idle orfices, that's for the transitional fuel discharge. If the idle rpm adjusting screw is turned in too far, too much of the slot is exposed. No more than about .040 should be visable. If more than .040 is exposed you will draw fuel from the transitional circut during idle, causing it to run rich.
Does adjusting the idle mixture screws have little if any effect?
You say you tried different total advance settings, what about initial advance? Experiment with that too?
I remember reading about your set-up but I don't recall the details. Maybe you could refresh my memory ....
Old 04-29-2001, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

amporguy ,its 440 +.040 ,INDY S/R'S ,266@50,.600 lift,ross flats ,eagle rods,6pack with 76 jets.10.8 to 1 actual.
this thing ran great on dyno 601hp and608torque.
i checked all plug wires,ok.still skipping even at high rpm on two rear cylinders so did compression check 180psi. looked at plug and was black from carb problems in the beginning.i filed it a little and boom she fired no problem,i did them all but 1 plug wont fire. ill have to get a new set and try it.i would have never believed it would have fouled new champ plugswithMSD ignition. i can run c57 cold to c63 hot ,i put in c61's.
its always the simplest things.
iknow venchuri shouldnt feul at idle.what i would like to know is , does the powervalve control ALL fuel to venchuri or is some aloud to pass then when vac. drops powere valve gives it even more?
Old 04-29-2001, 05:43 PM

I had some champions RJ12Y that ended up the same way , I turfed them and got another set ,started using accell plug soon after. My old six pack took a dump one day some dirt got in a carb and flooded it ,at that time I was running an old MSD 404BC and an accell coil. I did discover at that time that the MSD blaster coil puts out better than the accell super coil. The blaster cleaned out a couple of the plugs. The power valve adds extra fuel to the venturies. The main jets control the fuel until you get a vacume drop low enough to open the power valve then it alows extra fuel.
Sounds like a nice engine!!
Old 04-29-2001, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

thanks i thought that was how it worked.rat roaster i emailed to get a copy of those instructions
i have msd blaster and let me tell you something , the car does not have to be running to get blasted.if dist stops i line with a cylinder that thing sends constant spark ,just put my hard near the dist #4 hole ,like putting in wall socket.thanks