Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-29-1999, 02:40 AM
caveman

i know this has been done to death ,but here goes,When is chrysler(dodge)gonna get back to winston cup????They have made all the excuses i want to hear.They got a real good small block race platform now.Who else would like to see this happen?
Old 01-29-1999, 02:56 AM
Orange Bee

EVERYONE WHO LOVES MOPARS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-1999, 01:32 AM
caveman

I wonder if any of the MOPAR big shots ever come down to these boards,just tolook around,after all they own em. If they do I hope they GET THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!%^&()@!!!!
Old 01-30-1999, 04:18 AM
oe812

Probably as soon as they bring back the total rear wheel drive two-door coupes. Otherwise, it seems chrysler loves FWD which really bites in my opinion.
Old 01-30-1999, 06:14 AM
Dave

Has anyone seen the new Charger R/T? It would probably win races on pure intimidation alone!! What a wicked car!! And guess what kid's, it IS rear wheel drive!!!! Sign me up!
Old 01-30-1999, 06:14 PM
caveman

I haven,t seen one yet.That front wheel drive thang has been one of there main excuses for years now.The ford and (i think)the chevy(also grandam)are front wheel drive.i think a lot of it was that small block parts program wasn't up to it'IE special blocks,heads,ect.Those aren't exactly street engines.(not to put down anybody who is into sb mopars i've had pleny)When they got out of it years ago,the others kept on with it,so mopar lagged behind.
HEY CLIFF what did you mean?Do you got info?
Old 02-01-1999, 01:38 AM
Dave

I believe The reason they didnt want to get into NASCAR is that it uses V-8 rear wheel drive and as a race on Sunday, sell on Monday thing there were none in the show room on Monday. As I understand it, the reason that Mopar got out of IROC was the grief that they got when people came to the showroon and not only didn't find a rr drive Avenger (minor problem) but didn' find an Avenger with even enough power to blow it's own nose let alone make a Mustang or Camaro care(BIG Problem). But now they don't have any excuse as the new Charger R/T has rr drive and the 4.7 litre V-8 from the Grand Cherokee. According to the article it will put out 325hp!!! If it goes into production I think it will be a hit. 4doors of not.
Old 02-07-1999, 01:56 AM
caveman

HEy cliff.I hear those rumors about nascar every year just before DAYTONA,i havent found any thing to prove them as anything but rumors.Ido think that mopars return to nascar will happen but who knows when.If you know something speak up.
Dave i agree with what you say!
Old 02-07-1999, 02:02 AM
caveman

Also,they should go back to WIN onSUNDAYSELLon MON.ideas.
Any body going to the glen for theNascar trucks/Buschcars june 26/27?I'll be there look for my purple dodge 73 dodge truck and stop over.
Old 02-23-1999, 09:22 AM
Brian Mac

Gentlemen, There's no reason why MOPAR couldn't be in NASCAR. They are already there in the Truck series. As far as the FWD question is concerned, all of the current models run in NASCAR are based on FWD cars. FORD TAURUS, CHEVY MONTE CARLO, PONTIAC GRAN PRIX, are all FWD. MONTE CARLO is the only model that I know of that comes in a 2-door sedan version. The others are 4-door cars. Why can't there be a DODGE INTREPID out on the track? Can we find some answers?
Old 02-24-1999, 04:38 AM
moparmaniac

I totally agree on this as well. All of the articles I've been reading say that since Dailmer-Chrysler is gaining recognition as a merged company, that now is the perfect time. Look for them in 2000-2002 I'm guessing.
Old 02-26-1999, 07:15 PM
dowling

First I would love to see an Intrepid on the banks of Daytona! If Chrysler is hung up on this front drive -rear drive thing then someone had better inform them that the two Pro Stock Avengers they sponsor for the Dodge boys Alderman and Geofrion in NHRA drag racing are V-8 rear wheel drive cars. Therefore what is the problem with a rear drive V-8 powered Intrepid? There may not be one in the showroom but there isn't an Avenger either but they sponsor the drag Avengers don't they? There were some rumours in Mopar Muscle magazine about Chrysler building and testing an Intrepid for NASCAR to inspect and approve but there was never any hard evidence such as photos. However the prototype Taurus was kept pretty secret for some time and the security is also pretty tight on the new 2000 Monte Carlo, so maybe one does exist under tight security. Has anyone else heard these rumours? The trucks have now won 4 times so the engine program must be improving. There have been several artists conceptions of Intrepids, specifically Richard and Kyle Petty schemes as well as Circle track magazine showing a Penske - Miller scheme (due to their Mercedes involvment). Lets hope that these rumours are true and maybe the 2000 Daytona 500!
Old 02-27-1999, 12:56 AM
caveman

I totaly hope and agree.Lets hope the corp. eggheads rethink there policy.Nascar is one of the biggest sports in america right now.Chrysler would get a good return on there $ there,and its not as boring as watching a golf turnement
Old 03-11-1999, 05:52 AM
dowling

I was watching the sprint car races on the Nashville network this weekend and the Mopar sprint car is doing well. Chrysler and Stanton racing has teamed up with the Kinser family to run a Mopar powered sprint car with Mark Kinser doing the driving. In the last three outings the car has finished First, First and Third. The third came after a lapped car held up Mark dropping him to third from a sure second place finish. Still not a bad record. Mark decided to switch to the Mopar after dyno tests showed the Mopar engine pulling better numbers than the Chevy that Mark was currently running. Great to see another Mopar back in the winners circle!
Old 03-14-1999, 08:03 PM
Christopher

C'mon guys!!! Lou Patane has said that Chrysler IS NOT contemplating a return to Nascar W.C. any time soon.His words were(Iquote)"We do not belive in the Win on Sunday,sell on Monday theme"And frankly, I don't blame them. Everytime MoPars start winning they get slapped with some kind of rule that benefts Henry and the General.(History DOES repeat itself)Look at the NHRA Pro Stock trucks, they are having all kinds of problems with the new block(the pistons are coming out of the bottom of the bores!)and during the inagural testing of the catagory,the Dodge trucks actually had Dart GM style blocks using Mopar heads.They are getting a handle on it,but it's going to take some time.I don't mean to sound so negative but we have to face facts,Were behind and have alot of catching up to do.
Old 04-12-1999, 05:51 PM
dowling

This past weekend the Dodges in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series enjoyed a good race with all 5 trucks entered finishing the race on the lead lap. All were in the top 13 finishers, with 4 in the top ten. It looks like the Dodges are gradually getting competitive, and if the engines are getting better then maybe they will be ready and competitive shortly for Winston Cup!
Old 04-18-1999, 04:52 PM
caveman

congrats to jimmy hensley,and to the petty dodge team,for the win at martinsville
we have run real good this year,i watched 4 mopars in the top 10 last weekend,and 1 in 12 th place,,this is going to be a banner year,,so lets go cup next
Old 04-18-1999, 04:55 PM
caveman

its got to do with the new light weight engine components,,you can put the weight were you need it.it took ford awile to get it right also,the cleveland makes more power than the chevy,and the weight is better also,thats why you see many fords running well
Old 04-20-1999, 05:29 PM
dowling

Mark Kinser and the Mopar sprint car have won 4 "A" main features in 10 tries, and have 8 Top 5 finishes in the ten races. Mark's team now leads the point race and also is the series leading money winner. With Stacy Compton now leading the NASCAR Truck series we have Mopars on top in two major racing series. Take note Ma Mopar!!
We want a Winston Cup team now! Lets show them that Mopar can win anywhere.
Old 04-20-1999, 08:30 PM
Christopher

Hensley and the Petty team did a superb job!!!Hopefully NASCAR will let Chrysler do the same as they did for "Henry" and the "General".Who does everybody think would run Mopar if this comes to life??? (driver/team owner etc.)
Old 04-30-1999, 03:16 AM
STICK66

CAVEMAN GO OUT TOO YOUR LOCAL NEWS STAND
BUY THE JUNE VOLUME 52 NUMBER 6 COPY
OF HOT ROD AND TURN TO PAGE 16 KIND
REMINDS YOU OF THE OLD DAYS DONT IT
Old 05-02-1999, 09:17 AM
ViperGod

okay, everone go buy a June 1999 Hot Rod mag.
on page 16, there are two story one on Mopar Whispering about Winston Cup, Im just going to type here for you guy/gals to read it,(holy $h*T) some mopars in hot rod, cant believe it! here we go.

More evidence that Daimler-Chrysler is contemplating a return to NASCAR competition has come bubbling to the suface. Daimler-Chrysler Vice Prez of Motorsports Operations Lou Patane recently told us about a new small-block engines are Mopar aluminum cylinder head that is "{intended for racing where canted-valve small-block engines are legal. Draw your oun conclusions." Ours conclusion is that Mother Mopar is closer thean ever to returning to the ultracomptitive NASCAR arena. At the same meeting, Patane announced a new 8 3/4-inch rear axles (including an aluminum center section) and the double-tough automotive Dana 60 rear(with enough meat for a pinion nsubber)were coming soon as well.
The strategic march toward Mopar's potential return to NASCAR has been inching forth for several years now. The Dodge Ram Truck in the craftsman Truck series are among the explorations, and thing have only gotten easier now that four-door body styles are allowed in NASCAR, opening a loophole big enough to drive a Intrepid through. Couple thiswith the retirement of engineering chief Francois Castaing a few seasons back, who was never a fan of NASCAR, and some of the last bridges toward a return to the high-banked ovals may have been crossed.
Fans are encouraged to register their opinions online at www.mopar.com

story by---Steve Magnante

well here you go? can those other companies handle us coming back or are they going to make some new rules again like what they did to us back in the 70's?

Old 05-02-1999, 07:15 PM
DoubleAre

although chrysler is only building and selling FWD cars there is still no reason for them not to get involved in NASCAR.the pontiacs are FWD off the showroom floor and I do believe so are the ferds. besides aren't the dodge avengers used in scca competition rear wheel drive for the races? if you ask me the only true reason mother mopar hasn't gone back to nascar is the obvious reason, every time they do nascar finds a way to outlaw there cars or engines so they can't constantly whip chevys a**!!!!
Old 05-04-1999, 08:01 AM
sanborn

In order to have a viable NASCAR program, four things must be in place: 1. The corporate financial resources 2. A competitive engine program 3. A body that can be approved by NASCAR and most importantly 4. The corporate commitment to make it happen. The engine program started about five years ago with the introduction of the R block. This was nothing more than a modified X block- twenty year old technology. They have made improvements with the R1 and now the R3 is probably adequate to handle the strain. I promise, the earlier R blocks were not. The same story applies to cylinder heads, the first attempt was the Arrington head, definitely down on flow and the chamber did not make enough power. The next pass was the W7 head, slightly better flow with a much improved chamber. But frankly, the W7 could not produce the power of the other two brands. At this point in time, it would not have made sense for Chrysler to jump into NASCAR Winston Cup without a competitive engine program, even if every thing else was in place. The W8 cylinder head is competitive both from a flow standpoint and power, but it has only gotten there this year. There is a W9 head in existence, but I don't know how good it is. Chrysler has taken 5 years to catch up on a 20 year technology lapse. Frankly, that isn't too bad considering the competition hasn't been sitting still. And I promise you, the competition will have all sorts of developmental engine components running on dirt tracks this weekend. With all that said, I have only talked about just the engine program. I am sure the body program is much more involved since it affects actual production cars. The cost is probably much more than we could ever imagine. How committed is corporate, who knows? But at least we can see the results of the engine program.
Old 05-04-1999, 05:01 PM
moparmaniac

Well, We all want to see Dodge back in Winston Cup but for now, let's make the best of what we got!!!

Dodge got the Last win in the Craftsman Truck Series and The Championship Points lead.

I urge all to watch and support these great Dodge drivers and what they're doing for their fans!

Old 05-05-1999, 04:16 AM
Christopher

The new W-9 head is the canted valve head.This was being R&D'd at Mopar due to GM having a canted head for there small block engines.The Pro stock trucks will get it soon or already may have it.I'm sure the Dodge NASCAR trucks are in the same situation.We'll see what happens.
Old 05-07-1999, 05:48 PM
dowling

Mopar announced they are ending their sponsorship of the Mike Dunn NHRA top fuel dragster. Is this to possably free up more development money for a run at Winston Cup?
The top fuel cars all run basic copies of a Mopar hemi engine so they are not really competing with anyone but themselves in this class. With the small block engine program doing well and small block Mopars leading the Craftsman truck series as well as the World of Outlaws sprint car series, now is the time to look into Winston Cup. The dropping of the Top Fuel sponsorship, as well as Mopar getting screwed around by NHRA over engine rules in Pro Stock Cars and Pro Stock Trucks may have Mopar wanting to shift their focus to another series where they know they can be competitive. The money would look real good going into a NASCAR Intrepid or 300M!
Old 05-08-1999, 03:19 AM
caveman

sorry i havent been around much guys,been busy as a beaver getting my **** together for spring(everything was put away for the winter).anyhow i will check out the june iss. of hot camaromag,,oops i mean hotrod mag.tell you the truth i dont buy them much anymore,to much gm junk in there.i saw pettys dodge take the win,the pettys wc car the next day.id say they got the set up down for that track ,right?.anyhow things look better than ever for a return to the high banks.i cant wait,to watch a dodge kick some gm tail.that would mean i couldnt root for my driver though,mark martin drives a ford.but you got to do what you got to do,right.i see this little thread is kind of popular,im glad,becuase nascar racing is a big thing to me. cya
Old 05-08-1999, 05:17 AM
DoubleAre

yes mother mopar back to winston cup!!i don't know about anty markie martin, but i sure would like to see jeffro gordon in a intrepid. he's damn near unstoppable now just think of it, him behind the wheel of a mopar......
Old 05-08-1999, 03:17 PM
caveman

that wont happen,probably.His boss and owner Hendicks,owns chevy,,GM dealerships.I dont think Jack Roucsh would give up his succesful relationship with FORD either.I just said that i would have to root for the dodge over my driver mark martin.If they get serious about it and spend the money who knows who would Drive/own.