Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-27-2001, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

Question

Anyone know the approximate weight of a small block Tradesman 200? I have found one rather cheap and, of course, it got the gears grinding in my brain. Will a big block fit in there? Will I have to change the cross member?
Has anyone tried to get any kind of "speed" out of these? I would love to get her into the 12's with an intercooled supercharger on a 440 with 727. Can I get headers for this?
I could not get the VIN, so I do not know the exact year. I am guessing around 75. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:04 AM
Inactive User

You can buy mounts for a BB for these vans. The owner's manual for my 79 lists a 440. If you think about it this same basic body was used in motorhome/vans. Many had BB's. There is a guy @moparts.com that has a SB that he has got into the 12's. His handle is Alikazam. Or Mike Vango he is putting a 380hp Crate motor in his.
Old 05-27-2001, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin Well, I feel silly....

That's a good point. Thank you very much! I am afraid my mind no longer works as well as it used to and, to be honest, it wasn't that great before. Nice to hear some people are doing this. Around these parts, folks don't vary much from the norm, so my knowledge is quite limited.
I appreciate the info very much. This is just about the only vehicle which I did not see at the Classic. Maybe that will have to change.
Old 05-27-2001, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

You mean I could have taken my van and won "Best of Show" in the van catagory and mot even wash it?lol
Old 05-27-2001, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

I am about one month away from finishing a complete performance buildup for my B100 (Tradesman 100). I have also done a 200 stock.

I weighed both at the local dump. 4000 lbs. even both. Just slightly more than most musclecars. My ex-wife had a 68 Chevelle that weighed 3800.

I am doing a complete performance rebuild and this thing will be tricked to the max. No supercharger yet...but like you said, the gears are grinding. I fully expect to run 12s with this, just to show everyone that vans can be respectable. And the Tradesmen are just f-ing cool looking.

I really think tricking out vans is going to be the next big trend. Not conversion vans like the 70s but more lowrider/muscle car style. I have the front dropped 2.5", the rear 4". 318 with 9.5 compression in the works and just finishing a 727 with a Gear Vendors 6spd. adapter on the back. Big fatty BF Goodrich 295s, etc. Hell, 10 years ago, who would have thought of tricking out like a Dodge Ram. Now everyone and their momma is doing it. So you never know.

I also have developed, or am developing a few custom parts, like a bracket to keep the part of the frame by the steering gear box from tearing. And a see-through engine cover that lights up at night. My website is vanparts.cc, still mostly ideas, but you'll get an idea of what I am after here.

So, go for it. Just be warned, finding good parts is hard. I had to have the drop coil spring custom rolled. Big bucks. I have some people helping me develop a lowering kit that I plan to sell on my website. I would have done the 440, but it's also going to be my daily driver, so I figured a small block more appropriate. Plus, I'm a 318 fan. It's one of the most underrated engines. So, if I can do 12s with the 318 it will really open some eyes. If you need any help advice, I have just spent the last year doing this project, so I might be able to help.
Old 05-27-2001, 10:00 PM
Electrician Dude

Unhappy Now I REALLY feel bad

tsteiner61, I had a 1977 Tradesman 200, 318 automatic when I was in high school. I traded it in on a 1986 Ford Ranger- biggest mistake of my life!!! It had 165,000 miles on it and ran great! A small puff of smoke from the left side pipe when I started it but that was all that was wrong with it. I've regretted letting that van go for many years. I'd trade a lot of things to get that van back. It was a conversion and was black with red/orange stripe outlined in silver. It had a red/orange pyramid on the hood. Ok if I live vicariously through you for a while?
Old 05-27-2001, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Going fast in a shoe box! Airdynamics is one problem. I do remember a chopped Tradesman back in the 70's, painted with a flaming American flag on the side and the base color was white. I ran a blown Hemi!
Old 05-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Inactive User

MoPaul, here is a address to go to for Alikazam. http://www.concentric.net/~aliko I was wrong on this guy 1/4 times. Still he caqn whip as on lots of streeters. As far as weight take it to a truckstop that has scales. I weigh mine at the dump. Mine is a maxivan it is usually loaded with my tools and supplies. 5750 to 6200 lbs! Then add carpert and padding. It is my my daily driver.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin The funnier the idea.....THE COOLER THE RIDE!!!

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how 'unsporty' it is; NOTHING is cooler than taking something most car guys would laugh at and BLAST THEIR DOORS OFF!!!! A Muscle VAN would be TOO COOL to cruise in because it would be one heck of a sleeper!!! I was at the local WalMart Yesterday and was blown away by a ROOTS supercharged 62 CADDY sitting in the parking lot.
The guy was loading his consumer goods in his go fast grocery getter and I had to ask him about his wild combo; He said he did it because everyone told him it was a stupid idea!
He had to MAKE IT HAPPEN because nobody made a 6-71 intake manifold for the engine it had. He had to fab it himself. TOO COOL!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, Rug_Trucker brings up a good point with the aerodynamics issue. It is something I have been thinking about. Chopping is, of course, one solution. But I am reluctant to do that just because I really like the way the thing looks as is, but who knows.

If I can come with a good way to cut wind (..uh, no wait, I already do that just fine.. ) I will let you know.