Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-21-2000, 06:01 AM
Inactive User

Chrysler builds pickups sport utility vehicles with rear wheel drive. They quit building autos with rear wheel drive. Does any one know when they will start building cars again? The last new cars I bought were Fords. The 2000 Mustang is a sweetheart. I have always been Mopar to the bone. But chrysler quit building cars. I despise front wheel drive. Does any one agree with not liking front wheel drive? If chrysler built a rear wheel drive car like the mustang and the full sized cars would any one buy them? I am sure the police departments would. Does any one have any comments on this subject?

Old 11-21-2000, 07:59 AM
Inactive User

You're ignoring the Viper! Also, the new Charger will be RWD. I guess the new management finally figured out how much business they're loosing to the Mustang and to the Camaro/Firebird.
Old 11-21-2000, 06:57 PM

If they choose to build them, the new Charger and the new 300N will be RWD. The last that I heard was that MB axed the two lines. MY 2004 was when they were supposed to go into production.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4
Old 11-21-2000, 07:51 PM

The only thing FWD is good for is driving in the snow. Other than that, they're worthless. I would love to see a new RWD Mopar out there to compete with the Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds. The Charger would definitely be a bad ride, but I got a feeling the price tag on it is going to be pretty bad too. It seems like when Chrysler releases something with performance in mind, they think they need to put price on it that you would need to take out a mortgage for. It would be really cool to see the Charger come back, but I'm not all that excited about it because I'm not going to flip the BIG bill to buy one. I'll stick with the older ones.
Old 11-21-2000, 08:25 PM

Yeah, for what a new Charger would probably cost, you could buy a nice Hemi Charger from '68-'70 for about the same price and have lower insurance and more fun. Chrysler would be smart to keep it under $30K, under $25K would be even better for big sales numbers. Which would maybe start more RWD cars being made by Chrysler.

Here in SW Pennsylvania, RWD is fun in the snow. Especially if you have a good Sure-Grip unit. I don't like winter and road salt and all that, but when else can you do donuts in the middle of an intersection, and if a cop is crazy enough to chase you, just say it was an accident? Even if I tone it down some, and am just making a left turn across an intersection, it is still fun to hang the rear end out there and just kind of drift the whole car sideways through / into the turn! That's probably the most fun thing I can do with my daily driver '71 Valiant, except for winning bracket race rounds at the local dragstrip.