Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Default Fire Burnouts

I was paging through some of my old mags reading articles and when I was going through the September '01 High Performance Mopar I saw the vintage drag racing photo in the back. It is of some year Charger doing a fire burnout. I thought the photo was really cool, but I'm wondering how the hell you do a fire burnout? No, I do not want to attempt one myself as I like not having me and/or my car on fire, but I still think it'd be cool to know what's behind a fire burnout. Also does anyone have any other good pictures of other people doing this kind of burnout?
Old 10-15-2001, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

No one has any info about crazy fire burnouts? Considering they seemed to be banned/shunned by dragstrips it doesn't surprise me, but when has banning ever stopped anyone from doing something crazy?
Old 10-15-2001, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

A fire burnout is done by mixing VHT trackbite and nitromethane and pouring it on the track and igniting it. Then burnout through it. Brian Kohlman with the Belle Dodge does them, but he puts Vaseline on the quarter panels to protect them. Just thought you might want to know!
Old 10-16-2001, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the burning nitro really cares that there is a vaseline on the quarter panels :--).
Old 10-16-2001, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

about 7 weeks ago jack sprage (craftsman truck race) won the race and did an ausome burn out and the rubber bits cought fire from the tire heat. it was spectaculer.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:24 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Go to the web site www.wediditforlove.com they have some great photoes of the early days of dragsters, one of the pages has some great fire burnouts. The trick to a great fire burnout was to have the flames roll up and around the tire. For reasons any one can see the NHRA and outlaw tracks banned them before anyone was killed, but the crowds loved them.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Fire Burnouts

I read that Garlit's fire burnout was accidental. They were pouring rubber glue on the tires and it caught fire once during the burnout. After that, TC would throw a match on it to catch it on fire.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

my dad used to doi bleach burnouts that would set the quarters on fire. he once ran a mid 12s with the whole undercarriage on fire. he got scared since the fuels lines were under there so he quit but this was long ago and im not sure of the legality now-a-days.