Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-29-2000, 12:50 AM

My car is making this wierd whistle type horn sounding noise sometimes. Its really embarassing cause people think its the horn and get pissed off at me. It's not constant but it happens quite often. When i mash the gas or mess around with all the fan and heater switches it stops. What's wrong. Also, i don't think my heater works anymore. Could the 2 be related?
Oh yeah, here's another problem for now, if i come to a stop or turn the car off after driving a while , steam starts coming out of the overflow hose like CRAZY? My upper rad. hose bubbles and steams at the waterneck after i turn it off and I've tightened the clamp and tried everything else. PLEASE HELP ME !
Old 12-29-2000, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

Bad thermostat?
Old 12-29-2000, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

A Plugged radiator will make a horn like noise and cause your overflow to piss off...PRO..
Old 12-30-2000, 06:52 PM

You say when you mash the gas the sound goes away? how about a vacuum leak somewhere? mash the gas, vacuum drops, sound goes away...mess with the vents, are those vents vacuum assisted? My friends 63 300 had a vacuum block with a bunch of ports coming off it to operate all the climate controls, possibly one is leaking. I had a bad carb gasket and it sounded like a trumpet!
Old 12-31-2000, 12:18 AM

i have no idea if the controls are vacuum assisted. I dont know if i care either. I'm loseing faith in my car real fast , almost to the point where i want to let it go. I can't even keep the damn thing going long enough to enjoy it. It seems like the more money i put into it, the worse it gets. The car is like Christine from the movie but it hates the owner/driver.
Old 12-31-2000, 12:51 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Your controls are not vac. assited/operated. There cable.
I have a Carter 750 AFB with a weird spring loaded dohickey thing in the center of the choke plate. That thing can whistle a tune. What the hell is that thing for?
Old 12-31-2000, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

Hey Challenger!
Hang in there buddy. We all experience roadblocks, just some of us more than others (i.e.-me!) Like Pro said, it sounds like its a problem in your coolant system...and you said it stops when the heater/fan gets going. When you check things out, I would suggest the easy/free stuff first like flushing out your cooling system. As far as your problems with your leaf springs, you just might be one of the many who have been "duped" by Mopar Performance quality control. Sometimes life is a bitch, but you got one thing going for ya....a 1970 Challenger RT.
Good luck to ya.
F.B.
Old 12-31-2000, 02:53 AM
Inactive User

That noise you are hearing is probably your radiator cap letting out pressure. Could be a couple of things, some have been mentioned; stuck T-stat, blockage, faulty cap, low coolant level, head gasket, cracked head or block. I hope it's none of the last few. And yes it's related to the no heat situation, sounds like you are very low on coolant, but the question is why. Do you have a temp gauge?
Good luck

------------------
99 Dakota 5.2l 5spd 3.55LSD
Old 01-01-2001, 01:22 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, but fortunately it was the easiest thing of all, a thermostat. It fixed the whistleing, the overflowing , and the heater problems. It was a little low on coolant too.
Thanks anyway.

------------------
M....massively
O....over
P....powered
A....and
R....rare