Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-08-2001, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hey, has anyone ever done a 4spd manual swap into an automatic charger? If you have, how much work is involved, and where do you get the parts from? I think it's going to be difficult to find a donor car, but you never know I guess.

I'm thinking about keeping the old Charger around for a while, especially after finding out that they might actually be road raceable...

-Joel Likness

------------------
1974 Charger 318 Auto
Big, Black, and Ugly
Old 01-08-2001, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

I have done this to a couple second generation chargers. It wasn,t hard, but did require some patience. Some of the parts you,ll need should still be available threw the Paddock, such as the torque shaft bracket, that needs to be welded to the frame. Year One and Brewers perf. should also have the parts you'll need.You might have to track down a 4-speed pedal assy. Brewers might be able to help with this also. The only problem i had, was getting the trans to mate to the crank. The hole in the back of the crank was smaller for the automatic trans. I had to have the pilot bushing cut to fit the crank, and grind a little off the pilot shaft, so it wouldn't bind on the back of the crank. The motor was already assy, before i realized there was a difference in cranks. Learned my lesson the second time. Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2001, 04:02 AM
Inactive User

did my coronet and love it! all that "SCAT" gave you are great places as for pedal assembly mine came from SAMSON $100 + $20 s&h perfect and complete - MPP also has a lot of the little pieces you'll need - i too found out about the crank the hard way just take your time except for welding the bracket to the frame the rest is all hand tools - there are alot of parts needed so if you can find a parts car you'll save time & money - good luck c ya

------------------

Fast Ladies (Very Slow Gin)
Old 01-09-2001, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Where do you guys get these catalogs from? I'm still kind of new to the Mopar world... I have a Year One right now, and they have some pretty good stuff, even though it's a bit on the pricey side usually.

Also, thanks for the crank info 69coronet, I'll probably have a new motor for the car before I have the tranny, so I will definetly keep that in mind.

Thanks!

-Joel Likness

------------------
1974 Charger 318 Auto
Big, Black, and Ugly