Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-08-2001, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Default B-body K-frame into Volare......anyone done it?

I have been thinking of a cheap way to put a lighter k member in my Volare and eliminate the torsion bars and go to some coil over shocks. I was thinking that if the B or even A-body k-frames have the right width to bolt to the rails, I would put one in complete with steering. I could easily weld some reinforcing in the front rails for mounting locations. Use an aftermarket upper arm and make some mounting pads. Then I could put a coil over shock in and make a upper mount for it. I figure I could lose around 150 pounds from the front of the car. I want it to handle so I'm staying with stock steering setup. All the rack and pinion cars I have seen are for straight line only cause they have some bad steering geometry. I can't spend like $6000cnd for a magnum force setup that looks bad for cornering. I could run a spring for racing and another for street driving.
What do you think? Any suggestions?
Will the stock lower control arm hold up?
Old 11-09-2001, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Give Magnum Force race cars a call, they make a tubular K-Member, coil over shock suspension, rack&pinion steering setup for the older B-Bodies.
They should be able to setup something like that for an "F" body?
Old 11-09-2001, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

Those guys want more than I have in the car for a front setup. $3500.......thats an unbelievable ripoff. My friend had a complete chassis rolling on wheels with narrowed 8 3/4 for $7500cnd. That was chassis, cage, front suspension and steering, rear suspension, narrow his rear, new draglight rims with tires and all made to fit his body. Cage is certified for 9.90's. Was done by a good chassis builder up here.
I'm looking for something on the cheap. It doesn't have to be fancy, but work effectively. No rack and pinion!!! there is no place for that in an old Mopar. It just doesn't work. I'll stick to something that works.