Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-18-2001, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb project fever(long)

Back in the day (a FEW years ago), I was a little bit of a shade tree mechanic on a very small scale. Never got to build a hot rod. Have always changed my own oil, water pumps, alts., that sort of thing, but not any serious gear head work for many years. I decided to completely rebuild the engine in my '79 pickup, and plan on totally restoring it. Having gotten the engine built and running, I'm now getting the fever to restore a Mopar muscle car (second childhood?). Not many Mopars in my fair little town. I've seen one Charger, a '72 I think, which looks pretty original, and is used as a daily driver. And I've seen one Challenger. An individual keeps about 10-12 cars & trucks in a little grassy area in front of his house. It is not a car lot, and there are no for sale signs. I guess he just buys and sells a few cars. There are a couple of Darts, and one Dodge truck. Most of the vehicles move pretty quickly, but this Challenger has been there over a year. There was nobody home when I went to get a closer look today, but the doors were unlocked, so I checked it out. The car appears to have original yellow paint with a vinyl top, which is in very good condition. Interior looks good, seats need reupholstered. Body seems to be very good. Some primer mixed in with the yellow, but I saw no rust in fenders or quarters. Engine is 340, with console auto. I think it had original 318. I'm including VIN#, would appreciate help with that. Looks to be a stock 4bbl. engine . Another man came up to check out one of the Darts while I was there. Said he thinks the man wants $4800 for the Challenger, which seems a little high if it's non-matching. Would appreciate feedback and info on VIN#. Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2001, 02:53 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default HA HA HA LOL you got the bug I have!

Well, first you got to include the VIN# for someone here to decode. My books are in box's due to the move. So sorry.
Second; If its not a # matching, ya it's high. But I'm not there. If she looks good, get her. Your choice.
3 rd; Were you thinking of a resto job or hot rod job. If it's a hot rod, a dart would do well. Not the eye catcher of an E body, but could do very well just the same.
A resto job is harder to do. Harder to find that # matching part. The H/Rder would skip it. If not fiberglass it.
OH yea, a 340 came stock with a 4bbl only. The 318 had a 2bbl back then. Only a 2bbl.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Question duh

They say when you start getting old, you lose three things. First is your memory, and............well, I forget what the other 2 are. The vin is JH23G4B166017. I did get an on-line decoder after I posted this and found out pretty much what I wanted to know. It is an original 318 car. I guess I would like kind of a combo resto/hot rod. That is, it would not be for show or race. I don't have the $ or committment to fully restore a matching car,( or for racing either for that matter). I just want something to fix up as I'm financially able, and be totally streetable. Something to break out of the garage a few times a year, let everybody see a little piece of history, and have fun driving.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:27 PM
Inactive User

dave is there any way you could take a picture? if its a 74, thats the last year they made em. its hard to tell ya unless i see it. the price sounds decent but a picture is worth a thousand words. oh buy the way, i got out today and played nine holes, yea i sucked. woody
Old 11-18-2001, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Hey Woody,
It's not about playing great, it's just getting out in nature and enjoying life. At least that's what I tell myself when I have a crummy round!
I'm going to have to break down and get a dig. camera. The car is what I would want to start with. Pretty much intact. My knowledge and experience is so limited, I just couldn't make an educated guess on the worth of the vehicle. I guess when it comes down to it, it's worth what you're willing to spend. I actually have enough $ to buy the car. But then I wouldn't have anything left to spend on it! Decisions, decisions! Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

remember e-bodies (70-74 cudas and challengers) are the most popular body style so prices are going to be higher. $4500 probably isnt to bad if the car is solid. check were the torsion bars mount to the transcross member for rust as well as around the hood hinges. These cars are fairly easy to find aftermarket and reproduction parts for so even though you may pay more for the car you'll save alot of aggravation in searching for parts. good luck