Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy bbq pickup

Not one of my best days today. Had the pickup running nearly like I wanted it except a little stumble at takeoff, and sometimes slight bogging on hard acceleration. Plugs were white, so I put different metering rods in to richen it up a little. Went for a test spin, went about 2 miles, smoke started coming out of the dash. I didn't have water, tools, or anything in the truck. Just as I started walking, a car picked me up and took me back to the house. I grabbed a gal. of water, jumped in my car, and headed back. Got about half a mile when I saw the smoke high over the trees. I couldn't do anything but watch it burn. Fire dept. came and put it out, but cab is pretty much destroyed. The engine is not damaged too much. Valve covers, dist., not sure about carb. I'm pretty sick about it, all that time and work wasted. Well, I guess it's good experience. Maybe I can find a little Duster, or another PU and drop this motor & tranny in. Life goes on!
Old 01-13-2002, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

I say visit your local boneyard for another cab and seat, wiring harness, and dash. Less expensive than a replacement vehicle and you get to continue with the project you already started. A and B bodies are nice, but you can't haul anything but a$& with them. Keep the truck, put a little more work into it, and enjoy what you started back when. Good Luck!
P.S. Fly by the seat of your pants, you'll have a soft landing every time. Everyone has bad days.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for your reply Ausydad. At first I just scratched this project off totally, but your response is making me think a little more. Just might be a little more than I'm willing or able to undertake. Guess I'll smoke it over a few weeks and decide what to do.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Glad you weren't hurt!!

I take it this was from a fuel leak, or the typical truck ammeter problem?

never mind just re-read your signature, guess it might have been the ammeter.