Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2002, 03:01 PM

Smile Can I make a fiberglass bumper?

I'm finally starting to work on my '74 Duster, and don't have much spare cash right now. Instead of spending $100 for a fiberglass bumper (either front or rear), I figure I can make one that will work reasonably well at least for this year. Anyone have any ideas on how to do it? What should I cover the bumper with to keep the fiberglass resin from sticking? Several layers of plastic? My Duster has a '73 style front bumper with no shock absorbers on it, and a '74 rear bumper. I figure I can cut out 50+ pounds with fiberglass bumpers and sheet metal mounting brackets. Should I use several thin layers of fiberglass cloth?
Old 03-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

car craft recently ran an article on how to do this very thing, I will see if I can locate the exact issue. It was nice, step by step complete with what materials to use and everything.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

Did you happen to find that article or what month the mag was?

Bob
Old 04-01-2002, 11:42 AM
Inactive User

Yes you can and it is easier than you think i made Fiberglass bumpers for my challenger for under $30.00 per bumper
you have to have a good straight original bumper i cleaned the chrome off mineral spirits and then applied PAM baking spray to Chrome bumper To make it nice and greasy so the fiberglass would come off after hardening. I took Fiberglass cloth and laid 4 pieces out across the length of the bumper then applied my first coat of Gel with a brush making sure everypart was even and ridges or lumps the i allowed it to dry not fully harden but get a little tougher and then i took strips of Thin Thin balsa wood and laid across length of bumper in 1/2 inch strips, applied another layer of fiberglass cloth over the balsa to Sandwich it in there and recoat with Gel. I let that dry a little longer about 1 hour then i recoated with another layer of just fiberglass cloth. I let it dry overnight then with some "Fanagaling" it will pop off original chrome bumper and is strong as any aftermarket bumper if not stronger. the key is to layer the Balsa wood or i imagine you could use screen door cloth in it also. it gives it a little added strength. drill holes and sand surface smooth and impress your friends with your HOMEMADE bumpers (and other parts if you get creative) Remeber its all about having fun! (and of course beating Brand X)
Old 04-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Inactive User

Your local fiberglass store should have something called "forms release" to be be used in place of PAM. It will make it easier to form the glass around the existing bumper, and it will be easier to lay the gel coat against as well.

You may want to consider making a mold (instead of the bumper itself) using the outside of your existing bumper. Meaning that you would build the bumper from the outside in, rather than the inside out. This enables you to have a mold to create more (better) fiberglass bumpers in the future. This is especially true if you want a nice finish, since the inside of the mold will be smooth already, and won't require the extensive sanding that the fiberglass cloth and un molded surface will require. A mold will allow you to have much more intricate curves and bends since your not building the bumper against a rigid surface like a steel bumber. This way will also let you get used to handling fiberglass, and let you perfect your techniques for laying 'glass.

Balsa is a good idea to help strenghten the bumper itself, and you can use strips of plywood on the "mold" portion since it will never be on a vehicle and weight is not important for a mold.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Know of any sites on this? Since my fav Mopar are the C-bodies, all fiberglass parts are made out of unobtainium. So I am left with "Made it myself" parts

Bob