Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-1999, 07:37 PM

Hot rodding an '85 Diplomat police cruiser might not be the most popular project, but I wanted a powerful, reliable daily driver that could corner, stop, and haul the family. With the H/D suspension and all of the oil coolers, I felt it was a great foundation.
The engine is the new MP pre magnum 9:1 360 shortblock with Hughes Engines stage 1 heads and their 224/230, 504/515 cam swapped in. The standard Edelbrock performer with a Holley 1850 600cfm on the intake. Sanderson blockhuggers, 2 1/2" Y and a 3" single exhaust.
The transmission is the A998 (police 904) with a Trans-Go shift kit and a lock up converter. This is where the problem starts. The tranny and lock up worked great until I installed a 2400rpm stall converter. Lock up used to come on at 42mph under normal driving conditions and hold off on the lock up when I got a high rpm 2-3 shift. It would then lock when I eased up on the gas slightly.
Now if the 2-3 shift occurs before 32mph , then lock up comes in AFTER 3rd gear. Low mph but I can live with that. If the 2-3 shift happens at or after 32mph, then 3rd and lock up come on AT THE SAME TIME. Even at WOT. Result, it feels like I went from 2nd to 4th. I think the extra stall speed is fooling the lock up some how.
I have since had the converter checked out and modified to give a 1900rpm stall speed (still well above stock) for beter driveability and in hopes it would cure this problem.
The 360 loves the extra stall and I don't want to give up the lock up feature without a fight. It's still great on the highway. A valve body modification is not out of the question if that's what it takes.
Thanks, Mike
Old 11-28-1999, 08:08 AM
Inactive User

MIKE IN ALL MY YEARS I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYBODY MODIFY A LOCK-UP CONV. I KNOW IF YOU DITCH THE LOCKUP YOU CAN RUN ANY STALL YOU WANT. I KNOW WHO HAS YOUR ANSWER TRY ALABAMA CONVERTERS IN ALA. OF COURSE. THEY ARE EXCELLENT! AND I KNOW THEY'LL TAKE THE TIME TO ANSWER YOU EXACT NEED.AND THEY HAVE SUPER RELIABILITY AND THE BEST PRICES...PRO..