Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-17-2002, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Confused AN Fitting Problems

Why do some of the AN fitting pipe threads gall up and tear up threads when taken appart? This is really P'ing me off. I use liquid teflon sealer or regular teflon tape and some still pull out the threads. I did notice that the threads do not enter very deep and I could tap the hole deeper if this would help. Also this problem is only happening with aluminum parts (fuel filter). Is there a better thread sealer to use or is this a common problem? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

If you are using fittings made of a dissimilar metal, such as steel into aluminum the situation you are discribing could happen. Very simply put, the two metals do not like each other much.
I do not think tapping the hole more will help any..
Another thing that could cause this is overtightening the fitting. If both the part and fitting are aluminum, and they are over torqued this could begin to damage the threads making it so when you take them appart the damage is completed.
Which threads were damaged? The ones in the part or the fitting?
Jim
Old 08-17-2002, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

The fitting gets the threads torn off. Both the parts are aluminium and there is not much thread depth. Maybe the last four threads are engaging and there is another four or five more left. I was thinking of tapping the hole deeper as to get more threads to engage and tighten the fitting less for a better seal. I am running 40 lbs of fuel pressure and some fittings leak at the pipe threads. Maybe I wil use AN threads instead of pipe threads; I have no leaks with those.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

If the tapped portion of your pump is not all the way through ( or not deep enough ) as it appears to be, it seems as if you are trying to compensate for that by over tightening the fitting, and with only 4 threads engaged it is to much torque for the threads to handle. Sometimes the fitting will not go all the way in.. if it is a pipe thread then it is tapered, and trying to go in farther just damages things.. usually the housing you are putting the fitting in cracks, so be glad that has not happened..
Try putting a fitting in only as far as it will go without any grunting... that means the gorilla torque has started, and do a leak check with it like that..
Jim
Old 08-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

MAKE SURE YOUR USING THE RIGHT ADAPTER FITTING FOR THE PUMP.THE PUMPS HAVE DIFFERENT THREADS AND USE INVERTED STYLE SEALS WHICH COULD BE WHY ITS LEAKING IF A PRESSURE SEAL FITTING IS WHATS NEEDED.SPECIFY EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE USING SUCH AS PUMP AND FITTING STYLE TO MAKE US HELPING YOU EASIER.IF YOU NEED A SPECIAL FITTING GO TO ANPLUMBING.COM TO FIND IT.ITS A GREAT SITE AND REASONABLY PRICED.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

The problem I am having is with a Mallory Filter. There is enough meat in the holes for me to tap it deeper which is what I will do. Just to get more threads to engage and tighten it less. If it still leaks I will tap them AN size. Thanks guys.
Attached Files
File Type: txt an to sae size.txt (577 Bytes, 19 views)
Old 08-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

i dont know if you are familiar with taps and what types to use but make sure its the correct pipe style and whether or not it should be tapered.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

The chart is for AN threads and not pipe threads. The filter that I am having a problem with has pipe threads but can easily be made into AN threads. Pipe threads suck because they rely on the sealing of the treads to keep the juice from leaking while a AN/straight thread uses a gasket to seal. AN with a seal never leaks and never ruins threads.