Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Cool F body sleeper

I have an -76 Aspen Wagon with 360/727 and have thougth to do something just for fun.
I can spend some thousands, 3 to 5 for it and would like to get bit advise from you.
My first idea was 408 crate, but after reading this forum I do not think so anymore. Whats the next best option?
Should I boost it with blower or build my own stroker with aluminium heads etc. I do not have to care about emissions here, but change to 440 may cause troubles as it propably was never a factory option
I can do all basic work by myself, have played with turbo BMW:s and all kind of motors from single to 12 sylinders some 30 years now, this is my first Mopar project and I do want to make it right!
Q2:
Whats the best way to get parts to Europe?
Should I just order thru web and wait if I ever get my order?
I had an idea to take contact to some local speedshop near NY or Vegas and then pick goodies during my business trip, but havent yet got any contact information. It seems that shop owners does not read this forum, or maybe they do not just want to make business with foreigners

Of course I can buy these from our local speed shop but I have seen that competition makes good for pricing and we do not have real price competiotion here
Old 12-28-2002, 02:33 PM
Banned

I read your other post but not being from the Vegas area I can't offer much help.

Suggestions...Your here on a business trip so transportation of big parts will be difficult in the overhead storage rack...as parts tend to move around during flight

Before you order any parts you need to do all the math...are you going to deck the block?

What compression ratio do you want?

Is this a race car?

My opinion forget the crate motor........

How much HP/Tork do you want to make?

What about the rest of the driveline? How much can it handle or are you going to slip a Dana 60 into it?

How are you planing to get all this power to the ground?

Will the Eddy heads out of the box work for you or do you want castings and someone to build them right?

The best way to ask this question would be like:

I have a 3600# '76 Aspen Wagon 360/727 and want to run in the low 12's, what will it take to reach my goal, who can supply the parts, and what other than engine changes will have to made.

Then we'll give you the answers you need...most American Hotels will accept UPS packages prior to your arrival. Airlines will take boxes as checked luggage but they will probably be inspected by Security.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

OK, thanks Cuda for your reply.
Maybe I m bit odd by building this F body wagon, its not the most wanted project car even here in Finland.

This going to be a street car, no racing but sure I will check how it goes on race track. I wanna go at least low 13 / high 12:s with street tires and low 12:s with slicks. Have done the same with my turbocharged BMW 2002. That one went very low 12:s , had 300+ hp from 2 liter engine.
Compression ratio... I do not know yet, I have to decide first between naturally aspirated or blower/turbo engine.
At the moment it seems that Stoker idea wins.
I think comp would be max 11 to 1 (counted by effective ratio).
We do have few good shops for machining work, they do what is needed. If I gonna build a stroker it means some machining work anyway, boring, honing, decking, balancing etc usual.
I gonna keep the 727, its allready prepped, but propably I have to change my 8,25 Sure Grip to something. Isnt the Dana bit overkill for this kinda car? Maybe I find 8,75 much easier.
I assume these Eddy heads are OK for my project without big work, valve job check and minor porting may only be needed.
I also thought if it would be nice to use some EFI system for this, if I still have enough money after other parts, if not, I gonna buy Demon carb.
Aspen has now Hooker headers with 2,5" double pipes out, it also has new MP distributor with Orange box and power coil, I assume these are OK?

I have my own company over here and do have an account for UPS, so that will be my shipping company after shopping. I just want to check parts when I buy something, had bad experience with mail orders. If you get wrong part its difficult to return it from here.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:12 AM
Inactive User

My experience about ordering parts from US are mainly good. Just have to choose the company you deal with carefully, lately I have used Muscle Motors and Straightline performance for my needs. And Summit racing for the bulk stuff.
Your goal, I feel, is not very easy to achieve. The Aspen is pretty heavy and has a suspension that needs work to be done to work properly. You need a stout SB for that kind of ET's and if natuerally aspirated the street properties will propably suffer pretty much. I believe that a 440 fits in the % limits, so it should be legal here. On my experience it's way easier to run those numbers with a BB and you can retain much of the original drivetrain, don't need as steep gears or high stall converter as with a SB. I believe that most cost effective would be doing that with a forced induction SB though, since you already have the trans, headers etc. for it.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:42 AM
Inactive User

I agree that RB would be nice, but my Aspen was originally equipped with slant six. So far I have changed engine, trans, rear axle, brakes plus some minor parts. Havent had problems with annual inspections and dont want these officers to look my car with % calculator