Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-01-2003, 02:08 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Arrow Motor Home Blocks and block Filler Ideas?

I just scored a low milage 76 440 Motor Home block. It has the extra row of cooling passages near the bottom part of the deck surface. Seeing I do not have the matching heads, I was wondering if filling them with the bloxk filler for extra strength? This will be a race engine. It was also a cast crank engine with a .020 factory overbore??? has any one every seen this before? Also it has 9:1 pistons with it. I thought about running the factory cast crank over a steel crank I have, they both need work, I thougth that the cast was lighter, but a quick check with my trust bathroom scales revealed almost exactly the same wieght. around 70 lbs. Actually the steel crank come in lighter, but has had some work done to it, be machined and balanced before, also the weight of the cast converter will make up some extra differance also. I know that the 440 engine had a cast crank, but where they internally balanced? I was think externally. Any way, being I have both and they both need work, the steel crank looks and will be much stronger. A well know machine shop, new to me down near Lexington can weld up cranks that were to under sized or what ever, maybe a 4.15 stroke crank can be made in order, just wondering if this would be ok for bracket racing seeing 6500 RPM's max. Also I would like to stay clear of expensive oil pans an swinging pickups. Maybe just some inlarged oil galleys, and a great balance job, most machine shops usually get aroung +/- a few grams, they stop at zero, like balancing a tire, pretty good price for $125, because i Know a few guys.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Inactive User

Too bad you didn't score the whole damn motor.. these motors carried a steel crank, 6 pack rods and the extra cooling around the spark plugs you mentioned..

Blygy