Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Inactive User

New Dart

Hey guys and gals, Long time for me since i Have posted last.
I just bought a new (to me) '73 Swinger Dart. It has a 318 sb, with a 3 speed auto. Anything about these cars and engines and trannies that I need to know about? It runs well for now, more power than I am used to than my '66 Dart with a slant6.

The car feels like it surges when maintaining a constant cruising speed in the top gear, but when I hit the gas it goes away. THe car had 65,000 original miles on it and EVERYTHING is original in the car, even came with a working 8track player.

It has an air conditioning unit, but that is going to be taken off as soon as possible, I never use it and it is zapping power.

Also one more thing the brakes lock up VERY easily, too easily. I have a power brake booster, discs up front with drums in the rear, any ideas why this is happening? The tire are also pretty old just as a side note.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: New Dart

Quote:
Originally posted by oibrownskin

It has an air conditioning unit, but that is going to be taken off as soon as possible, I never use it and it is zapping power.

Also one more thing the brakes lock up VERY easily, too easily. I have a power brake booster, discs up front with drums in the rear, any ideas why this is happening? The tire are also pretty old just as a side note.

Thanks for your time.
the A/C unit doesn't rob power unless it's on. if you take off the belt, you can freely turn the outer part of the pully. there is a clutch inside that engages when you actually turn the A/C on...

as far as brakes, if it has everything original and 65,000 miles, chances are nobody changed the brakes, but the only way to tell is to pull the tires etc and check em out. what could be happening is the pads are worn, and when they get warm they grab really bad. some brakes slip, and others have different characteristics...just depends on the materials etc... feel the rotors for any deep grooves, and get new pads. check the caliper and make sure the dust boot for the piston in the caliper aint torn or anything. pull the drums off and make sure the shoes/drums are ok, and replace the shoe's.

good luck!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch about the A/C, but I am also taking off the AC stuff to save weight and what not. So check the pads for grooves, and boots for tears simple enough.

I have a totally unrelated question:
I have a '66 slant six, and I heard that a head from a 4.0 litre Jeep will fit on the slant six, is this true?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Actually, even running the extra belts can rob some extra power, but that won't give you a measurable gain in perfromance. You'll get more of a pick up by flipping the air cleaner lid!

What are your intentions with the car? A daily cruiser? Drag Race?

I would definately change the filter and rebuild the 2BBl carb. Get a 1973 shop manual. It is worth it's weight in gold. Just do the basics and add on from there. First do brakes, Oil, Tranny fluid, Coolant, plugs, cap and rotor, new air filter, pcv, timing, and tune the carb. Sometimes a good tune up and dual exhaust can do wonders.

I wouldn't toss the A/C stuff just yet. You got a LONG way to go get your car going fast and shedding those extra pounds isn't the big secret.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Default 73 Dart

Check your fuel filter, Mine did that too.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the 360 cast iron intake..$25.00 at pick a part. Some like the Edelbrock's (me) others swear by the thermoquad or Holley...Thermo Quad is probably a better choice as they came stock on 340's and up and are cheaper. Change exhaust to a dual system with a crossover.
(That is where I am now with my 73 Dart)...Then get an engine stand and start building a 360!! All the parts I just mentioned will fit it.

My 360 on the stand is very nearly finished. All I have left to buy is a B&M flex plate to balance the 360 to my 904.

I drive the old 318 everyday and I like it alot..But a 360 with flat top pistons,441 lift cam and closed chamber heads should produce a blue steel erection. I am having a GREAT time building the engine myself too!!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Inactive User

If you decide to remove the A/C, keep it off to the side. There are people out there willing to pay a $ for A"C part for resto's.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Default great ideas

THanks for all the replies, those are all great ideas. Here are my plans for the engine and the mild bolt on rebuild.

360 Heads ( they have the same bolt pattern and will fit from what i have heard, also they have larger valves, just have to do a little work to make sure they clear the pistons)

New intake, not sure what brand yet, but for a dual plane.

I would like a thermo-quad carb

Dual exhaust system, but not sure about which company for headers, but flowmaster 2 chambers is what I am leaning to for exits.

Other than that it is all in my head so far, nothing on paper or material, need more research first.

Quick question, how can i run my belt system if I take off the AC unit?
Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

this is for the belt question. first we need to know if the alt. and the a/c are all mounted to the same bracket. if its all on the same bracket u may be able to find an idler pulley to replace where the a/c unit mounts at your local salvage yard. The idler pulley was installed on cars with this set-up that didnt come with a/c. I hope this helps. But either way just remember if you have that set up you will still be turning a pulley and might as well keep the a/c.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned

Why not just get a alt bracket from a non a/c car and a shorter alt belt and do away with it all. There's no need for a pulley.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Banned

Re: great ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by oibrownskin
THanks for all the replies, those are all great ideas. Here are my plans for the engine and the mild bolt on rebuild.

360 Heads ( they have the same bolt pattern and will fit from what i have heard, also they have larger valves, just have to do a little work to make sure they clear the pistons)

New intake, not sure what brand yet, but for a dual plane.

I would like a thermo-quad carb

Dual exhaust system, but not sure about which company for headers, but flowmaster 2 chambers is what I am leaning to for exits.

Other than that it is all in my head so far, nothing on paper or material, need more research first.

Quick question, how can i run my belt system if I take off the AC unit?
All 360 heads will fit with no mods at all. Piston clearence is not an issue. J heads have 1.88 valves and X heads have 2.02. You ned to have any machine shop install the 2.02 valves in your heads to get max hp from them.