Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Inactive User

Default little stuff the "new" motor WONT have

Can anyone give me a list or tell me where to find one that gives me info on what will not be included with a crate motor. (I am going from 318 to 440 in a 70 Challenger)

Like transmission linkage, distributor, plugs, wires, pullys, etc.

I would like a detailed list so I can begin purchasing the parts I need.

Thanks for the Info.

Chris
Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 AM

If you pick up a copy of the Mopar Performance Parts catalogue at the dealer, it will give you that list. You will have to buy more parts since you aren't swapping one for one. In a one for one swap, (360 to 360 crate), some of the old parts are reused, like starter, water pump, exhaust manifolds and so on.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Since you are going to big block from small block you will need lots of stuff.I take it tits an auto so the first thing is a big block trans,convertor and flexplate.Motor mount engine brackets,exhaust manifolds or headers,triple core radiator,all pulleys and brackets for the alternator and power steering pump,longer throttle cable,4 barrel carb,and lots of other little things that dont come to mind right now
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMarcIdaho
Since you are going to big block from small block you will need lots of stuff.I take it tits an auto so the first thing is a big block trans,convertor and flexplate.Motor mount engine brackets,exhaust manifolds or headers,triple core radiator,all pulleys and brackets for the alternator and power steering pump,longer throttle cable,4 barrel carb,and lots of other little things that dont come to mind right now
thanks, marc

You posted suggestions last week on my question of 440 vs 451. This question is along the same line. I have decided on the 440 due to the $ issue. Turns out the 451 was gonna be closer to $7000 than 4500. The 440 has about 3000 miles on it and since then, the builder has used it to test 3 carbs he has rebuilt. I have heard good things about him being trustworthy. He is more into race motors than street/strip stuff. I dont need the power a 451 is capable of - the 440 will get me into plenty of trouble. And the $ saved will be put into transkmission rebuild and rear centersection.
Thanks for your continued interest.
Chris