Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Crank but won't start - fuel pressure? Dying to start my baby-please help

I'm trying to start my Charger w/383 for the first time in about 1 1/2 years. Since it last ran I've rewired the entire car and done a myriad of other things to it. I've got it to crank, but it won't catch. I checked spark with the MSD box as per MSD's trouble shooting instructions - I've got spark at the coil wire. All the gauges are working properly, lights, everything is working perfect. There is fuel squirting in the carb. I did change from a mechanical fuel pump to a Holley Black electric, and it seems to be working fine. With the car key in the on posistion and the fuel pump on I've got 7 PSI dialed in via a regulator. When I crank the motor the fuel pressure drops to around 2 1/2 PSI. Is that normal? Can anyone think of any other things that I should check. Before I parked, and started heavily working on it over a year ago it would take a few trys to get the motor to catch, but it always did. Oil pressure is also good. I'm dying to start my baby again, any help greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

Bad Gas?
You check spark to the plugs?
Weak battery?
The fuel pressure is most likely dropping because your starter is eating up all of your batteries juice.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Brand new gas...

This is a brand new fuel cell, lines, and fresh, purchased today fuel. Battery was strong, but I killed it. Recharging right now. How do I check for spark at the plugs? Thanks
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Pull the plug wire hold it close to the end of the plug while a buddy cranks it over for you. You should see an arch if you have spark. I would venture to guess "timing" may be an issue as well. Loosen up the distributer and have someone crank the engine while you "slowly" move the distributer until it starts to turn over. Once running, tighten that sucker down and check your timing, then fine tune. Sounds like you have fuel and air.....just missing the spark.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Pull the plugs........

squirt a couple of shots of oil in each and re-install the plugs. Sounds like you have lost compression. Engines sometimes do that after flooding or long sitting.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

how do you have the fuel pump wired? If the pressure is droping off, it probably is due to voltage drop. I would suggest using a relay to control it with battery power straight from the battery. that should keep the voltage "more" constant. To check spark, you can get a spark checking tool that resembles a spark plug. You clip it onto the block, and put a plug wire on it. Spin the engine over and watch for spark. Did you try MSD's mag. wire trick? That may be possible if you are running the 6al or simular box.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:54 AM

You can also lay the plug in the wire on the intake and watch it arc to the electrode, as long as the case of the plug is grounded. I had a N50 Honda, a little 2 stroke motor and I could not get it to start, I had fuel, spark, but not enough compression. I reringed and honed the cylinder with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a wad of newspaper (it worked!) chucked in a drill. Anyway, back to a V8, Dont sweat the fuel pressure, that will not keep it from starting. You need gas, spark, and squeeze to fire a cylinder. Double check firing order and cam timing with the finger over the spark plug hole method to find the compression stroke, your rotor should be approaching the #1 plug wire. Careful turning the distributor while cranking as the MSD will light you up Multiple times if you get in the path! May want to check your rotor for internal cracks that can send the juice straight through to the distributor shaft, been there for about 2 hours...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

Default no spark

just stick a screwdriver i n your wire lay up close to some part of your motor you will see if there,s fire
Old 02-12-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
just stick a screwdriver i n your wire lay up close to some part of your motor you will see if there,s fire
You can test the plug too by keeping it in the boot, but the screwdriver works well for spark.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Inactive User

I also think that the color of the spark should be like a blueish white color. My friend had a problem similar to yours. His spark color was like an orange color. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

You may have flooded the engine .You might try pulling all the spark plugs and cranking the engine over a few times, this will clear out the cylinders. I couldn't start my 383 after it sat a few years and it turned out to be crud in the carb.