Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Are 1930s or older vehicles, either street rod or stocker, unsafe for today's roads?
No, they can hold up due to their tougher nature. 9 60.00%
Yes, unsafe and not designed for modern speeds/traffic. 2 13.33%
Unsure. 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Default Are pre-40s street rods and stockers unsafe for today's roads?

I never thought I'd ask this question, but some pics I've seen on the net from time to time make me realize most of the older vintage vehicles just can't hold up in a collision with something modern. It's easy to assume the older thicker steel would make them tougher, but the design basically amounts to a metal shed bolted on to the side of a ladder on 2 axles.
Most of the accidents I've seen with 30s or older vintage vehicles amount to the same as if you drove your car through a tool shed. Basically what happens is the newer car jumps the engine and front tires, then slams into the main body at the firewall, not pretty.
Maybe it's time we just towed these to the show, or only drive them in monitored cruises, which isn't all that safe either, but better than nothing.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

I dont think so. I drive my buddy's 30 Ford from time to time, and feel safe in it. His is on an original frame thats been modified to be stronger, and doesnt have much up front. I dont think Id want to get in an accident with it, but I dont really want to get in an accident with any car really. The biggest thing that I would worry about is the fact that its a roadster and has no top. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Biggrin

How safe would you feel driving a Prowler? How safe would it actually be?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Probably not as safe as the 30!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM

I dunno, at least the Prowler was crash tested and has some modern technology in it's construction. I wouldn't want to stuff one into the grille of a large truck, but I bet it would hold up better than something many decades older.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Inactive User

Probably would depend on the way the car was built and what hit it, not much will survive an impact with a large truck and nothing will survive when it gets infront of a moving train plus the way modern cars are made, I'm surprised they don't become write offs when hit by a taco fart so in that cases an older car (mostly post WW2-early 90's) may be OK. I think the biggest thing is to be overly aware of your surroundings and watch for every "Stupid Human Trick, Motorist's Edition" possible you may run across while driving.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 PM

older cars are made better, just dont get into any accidents you'l be tossed like a rag doll..
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

I don't know, I'm sorta with Stoga on this one. I don't think there's any question at all that new cars are a lot safer than the old iron. Crumple zones and designs to send the engine and transmission under (rather than into) the passenger compartment in a head-on collision are huge advancements, plus seat belts, airbags, side-impact door beams, padded dashboards, better door latches, etc.

That said, I didn't vote in the poll, because I didn't see a choice I fully agreed with. I stop short of saying they're "unsafe"; they're simply "less safe". But I'm also not unsure. And I certainly wouldn't want to force people to stop driving them, if that's what they want to do.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Wink

If the car has a modernized brake system and good tires I wouldn't think it would be unsafe. No more then any pre airbag car. Probably safer then a restored antique 1930's car w/ skinny tires and mechanical brakes.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
If the car has a modernized brake system and good tires I wouldn't think it would be unsafe. No more then any pre airbag car. Probably safer then a restored antique 1930's car w/ skinny tires and mechanical brakes.
Yup, although I'd add a good set of solidly mounted seatbelts to that list though.............
Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation no offence

id rether be hit in a model a ford then a motorcycle 4 wheels vs 2. its not the cars that are unsafe its the people. and hey look at todays cars there plastic lol.