Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Default Holley or Thermoquad

Alright guy's Today in the the over all scheme of things which carb is better suited for making HP.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Default You forgot the good one

Demon. Tq. Holley, in that order.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

well you didn't specify holley dominator, so i'll answer both ways:

w/ dominator:

holley, thermoquad, FARTS, demon

w/o dominator:

thermoquad/holley tied, FARTS, demon
Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Holley If you find a good Thermojunk your one of the lucky few.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned

No question, Holley!!!!!!
A booster in every barrel, even annular.
adjustable throttle plates primary and secondary.
4 corner idle, even those with out secondary idle screws technically speaking.
Easy to find parts.
Wide variety of cfm ranges/models ect.
Why it's a no brainer.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Until they leak fuel all over the intake. Other than that, a great carb. Carb selection is always application dependent, not brand name. Most all Mopar muscle cars of the 60's & 70's had Carter carbs, does this mean anything? Not really. Were they slow? Definitely not.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Biggrin

TQ hands down till you need something over 1000 cfm. They have better throttle response off the line than any holley and that's by design. And you can still pick one up at your local parts store for less than a holley carb too.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

I don't like Holley's much because if you hit the railroad tracks too fast, the floats jump off(on many models). The Demon is a much more modern design and atomizes the swill we call gasoline now better. You can always repair a Thermoquad, and they're easy to "dial-in". They aren't fussy about what size engine you have or what intake you're running since the secondaries work off engine vaccumn.And they do have great low-end response...something that can take lots of accelerator pumps to get right on a Holley. All those adjustments on a Holley are also places to go the wrong way with too. The car mags always talk about changing this and that on a Holley then getting another dyno pull to see what happened. Got a dyno handy and the time on it for free? See what I'm getting at?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Inactive User

holley is better for over all power. boosters in all 4 corners is the big reason easy to tune is anouther. if your carb leaks fuel al over the engine u need a better mech. (just a friendly dig hehe) ive had people say that the thermo qaud is more responsive well if that were true then we would be racing at part throttle and with a automatic trans with the wrong converter in it and thats not racing. when it comes to sitting at the line ready to go nothing beats the double pumper for lets get the hell out of here when the tree goes green. when those boosters are mixing fuel theres some extra hps for ya. the demon carb is basically a holley design and i love them there nice and precise. but the questoin wasnt wether you like holley or not it was for more power holley or quad ill say it again holley
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Holley's Rule!!!!
Ha Ha!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Just checking, Holley's still rule!
HA HA
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

Talk about trying to revive a tired thread! Are you trying to convince everybody else that Holleys are the best carb, or yourself? Ha Ha kidn. Two words to remember with carb selection: APPLICATION DEPENDENT. Not brand name, unless you're comparing Mopars to GM's, in which case it is a no-brainer!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Your right!, I should of said the Holley design rules.
Especially in comparison to other designs which are more like 'dribble boxes' that pose as carburetors.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3404spdvaliant View Post
Alright guy's Today in the the over all scheme of things which carb is better suited for making HP.

Making HP? You don`t see anything but Holleys on Pro Stock. Even though you see fast thermo`s and quadrajunks on Stock and Super Stock.

But, I wonder what they`d run if they didn`t have to run stock carbs?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 AM

i guess one thing is about holley, is that it is the most common nowadays, kinda like how when you go to the dragstrip isn't it usually 75% of the cars there are bowties?? or sometimes 90%, does that make a chevy better than a mopar?? i guess alot of people run bowties, are because they are cheaper, easier to find, and there's alot of people who've worked on em, and knows about em, and simple as well.

for thermoquads, i guess if you tune one right they can make good power, if it is for the street, and i was looking for economy, which i don't even know who would want to try and think about economy with a muscle car with the low quality fuel, and gas prices where they are at, and it just seems like the price is going up, and the quality is going down, man i wish i would've bought some oil stock a few years back........
here's a link for thermoquads, http://www.thermoquads.com/
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog426 View Post

for thermoquads, i guess if you tune one right they can make good power, if it is for the street, and i was looking for economy, which i don't even know who would want to try and think about economy with a muscle car with the low quality fuel, and gas prices where they are at, and it just seems like the price is going up, and the quality is going down, man i wish i would've bought some oil stock a few years back........
here's a link for thermoquads ......
For max WOT power ... the Holley is the most popular carb .. the numbers prove that. But then MPFI would blow that Holley away.

But what you say about the mix of power and MPG ? ... why would you not want the most fuel efficent piece you could get ? ... I have some experience with RV's in using both the TQ and Holley. Some people with a typical Holley were getting 5-7 mpg. With a TQ ... I have never heard of anyone getting less than 10 .... unless there was something severely wrong or they were just lead-foots.

And the only link you need to get the TQ "right" .. is a factory service manual. And there have been some decent articles published in a Mopar magazine or two.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

I'd take the holley, just a better carb when it comes to mixing fuel.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

I have found that the majority of the guys that are HOLLEY ONLY OR DIE have never really fooled with a Carter much.
I have known people to swap in a Holley and pull a Carter with WORSE results, but stick with the Holley.
Personally I have NEVER gotten a Holley to tune to my satisfaction (or stop leaking like crazy). Carters on the other hand have been simplicity. Extremely easy to tune. They don't leak and they are extremely reliable.
But still. People tend to stick with what they know. For me that is Carter and Edelbrocks now a days.
My favorite is the TQ. But certain models are extremely hard to find parts for. I have a 9800S that I have been hunting an electric choke termostat for YEARS and have never found one.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

9800 series is a Performance series carb. I like that Kunkel free.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century Cp Guru View Post
9800 series is a Performance series carb. I like that Kunkel free.
Yeah, and the 9800S is an aftermarket carb, not an OEM. So if you go to a parts house, you will not find it in any of their books. The thermostat is different than any other I have seen on a Carter. The ones of a AFB or AVS (or Eddy) won't work.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3404spdvaliant View Post
Buddy....Holley!:baby0:
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Inactive User

Carter and Edelbrocks hands down , in the right hands some one that can tune one they can be a hand full..........