Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Royal Purple or Amsoil?

I've looked around everywhere, and i'm trying to decide who to go with. Now I do you royal purple in my truck but I do use a Amsoil EA filter. I wanna get performance and reliablilty out of my oil. I'm impressed with amsoil 30,000 mile change interval, but know someone who uses it and has alot of burn off. I went with royal purple because I have seen in the independant test (horsepower T.V. and Trucks and whatnot) But the only thing I found from Amsoil was Amsoil sponosred tests. Like I said I'mlooking for the best and only the best. So what anyone else think? Stick with Royal Purple and Amsoil filters, or go full Amsoil?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 PM

Biggrin

I was all set to use Royal Purple in my 2006 Ram and 2006 PT Cruiser when I first bought them. It was a tossup between Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline. They are all good oils, but I narrowed it down to RP and Amsoil. The deciding factor for me was the fact that RP has moly as in ingredient, whereas Amsoil doesn't. Moly is a good ingredient as long as it stays in suspension. However, I had read where moly can sometimes break out of suspension and actually form small clogs. I went with Amsoil, although I didn't go with the extended changes. I stayed with the manufacturer's schedule of 3,000 miles per change until the vehicles were out of warranty, after which I increased to 5,000 miles between changes. I also use Amsoil filters.

One item of interest is that the Hemi and the PT 4 banger do not take the same viscosity oil. The oil required in the PT is actually a higher mileage oil than what is specified for the Ram. There is also a cost difference.

My last truck had the 360 and had 234,000 miles on Wallyworld oil and the motor had never been apart in the lower end. It still ran strong on trade-in day. Of course, it used a quart every 800 to 1,000 miles since the day it was new.

(Hide this thread from Shatto)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

I know about moly, I also seen that again in a Amsoil sponsored test that Cummins says it burns up valvetrain parts and what not. And if I was running a diesel I would go amsoil for that factor and extended drains. I know people when I worked for a truck shop that used amsoil for their rigs, and friends who used it on their bikes just no one i have seen run it in cars or light trucks. And my biggest problem is theres not much info other from what amsoil says about their oil. Anyone have any test results from them? Horsepower gain, scarring stuff like that? If I do switch to Amsoil i'll change it at half so i'm not worried about it lasting 30 because i'll change it at 14-15 anyways.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Simply put.

gas engine, Royal Purple.
Diesel engine, Amsoil 15w40 Diesel and marine.

Been running the Amsoil 15w40 for 18 years, never had a motor wear out on it, including Lister generators that ran 24 hours a day.
(Been running it since it was semi-syn, LOL)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Inactive User

I use Mobile One. Been using it for about 33 years. I know some people don't like it, but I have to go with what works for me. No issues with engine wear, or failures, ever. First started using it in my 76 Dodge B200 van (318). Sold that van in 86 with 328,000+ miles on it I replaced it with an 86 Dodge van (318), sold it about 6 years ago with 301,000+ miles on it to one of my employees who uses it as his daily driver. He says he put about 125,000 miles on it since. He's still using Mobile One. That's about 425,000 miles on a 1986 318 truck engine, with no major repairs. Still not smoking or running hot, either.

My 94 Ford Van (5.8L) is now coming up on 250,000 miles, with no engine related issues, either.
The 2000 Silverado (4.8L) also about 250,000 miles, and I drive it all over the South East without an issue. The 2008 Sierra only has 16,000 miles on it, but it's been getting Mobile one since the first oil change.

I use Amsoil 15w40 in my '07 Cummins Ram, as recommended by TK a while back. If anything goes wrong with it, Alaska will me minus one short person.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 AM

Biggrin

No such thing as Mobile 1. Read the bottle.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Dick has more the right idea. Use any good motor oil and change it often. If I had a Cummins in a Ram, I'd buy Delo-S or Rotella-S (or the newer versions). The cheapest oil you can buy, if it's the correct weight and is "SG" rated (most are) are certified by three independant testing organizations to provide all the wear restistance and lubricating properties any engine needs. (API, ASTM, ASAE) "Synthics" have some advantages over conventional oils as regards to heat resistance, absorbing water in the crankcase, not being as easily diluted by fuel in the cylinder and some other things, but they are alot more exspensive. All other things being equal, you'd be better off paying a 1/4th as much for oil and filters and changing them 4 times as often. PS: What ever brand you like, change out the OEM paper air filter for a "gauze" type "reusable" air filter (whether you re-use it or not). Intake air is the source of up to 80% of dirt that causes engine wear. Dirt + any motor oil becomes grinding compound.(Why do I run a triple air filter on my 45 year-old Lawn-Boy mower? Can you think of a much dirtier enviroment than a lawnmower?)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Default Glossed over

Redline synthetic in my Cummins. Have tried all the others, and it has the best viscosity retention in high heat environment. Switched from RP.
Mobile One in the 4.7 Durango.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Biggrin

Read post #6.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Banned

Whats the bottle say, Dick?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg leg View Post
Redline synthetic in my Cummins. Have tried all the others, and it has the best viscosity retention in high heat environment. Switched from RP.
Mobile One in the 4.7 Durango.
But doesn't last as long, and doesn't have the zinc the POA RP and AMS have...... And almost NO corrosion protection

Just like you give certain qualities from Dino the POA, you give up more than it is worth with the redline.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 AM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Whats the bottle say, Dick?
Mobil 1. Mobile is the thing above a baby's crib or the act of being movable.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

Geez .
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Mobil 1. Mobile is the thing above a baby's crib or the act of being movable.
Who cares?