Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: ETHANOL usage.
NEVER 20 43.48%
Sometimes 10 21.74%
If it is cheaper 5 10.87%
ALWAYS! 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
Inactive User

Default ethanol usage.

Just checking to see who uses ethanol blended gasoline.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Inactive User

The only time I don't is in the race car, and I'm not real sure why not. (i'm asking myself this as i'm thring to type something intellegent to say....) In my snowmobiles I ve had good luck with it and it's been fine in my older vehicles. I feel renewable energy is worth while and should be used more. I heat my business with wood pellets and I heat my home with a corn stove. People ask if it's expensive to heat with pellets/corn and I tell them what I'm spending, but when it comes to putting their mone where their mouth is, they buy another gas furnace or fireplace. My business heats on pellets for $600 a winter. The house for $300 a year. Yes, a corn stove is in excess of $2,000 but if you are installing something anyway, it only makes sence to put one in.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Alky is a little hard on the rubber hoses. That's why I don't think you'll ever see more than 10% blended into your reg. fuel.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Here it's a 10% blend no matter what you buy at a normal pump, so I just use 87 octane. On the trips to Iowa we've made in my truck I've used 89 octane with a 10% blend because it's cheaper by several cents than strait up 87 octane, I think I payed $2.01 a gallon in Ames last saturday at a BP near the campus and I think the difference was $.05-$.10 a gallon. If the prices were the same and not subsidized as much for the ethanol, I'd use the straight 87 octane while out there.

Quote:
Alky isa little hard on the rubber hoses. That's why I don't think you'll ever see more than 10% blended into your reg. fuel.
You should see what 20% Nitro fuel (Methenol, 20% Nitromethane, and 12%-18% lubricants) for RC Cars does to Tygon fuel line, kinda disgusting, also makes it hard to trace stumbling problems at full throttle if you don't look close enough at the gas tanks. Don't catch that in time, and it's time for a new motor after a while!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

Out here in Western Illinois, 89/90 octane is usually either the same price or just a couple cents more than regular. Because of this, I usually try to fill up on the midgrade. The ethanol fuels are a great resource. I'm also really happy that they have the Bio-diesel out here as well. That is made from soybeans. Anybody try this stuff out?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

You need another choice for your poll

"Whatever comes out of the hose"

Sort of like somebody asking me what my favorite beer is. My answer is always the same

"Whatever's on sale"
Old 04-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

DW, I think your thinking of Methanol, I have yet to see any rubber eating problems with ethanol.
I am running 20% ethanol in my race car this year, as I get it free from where my wife works, it will pay for a barrel of race gas by using it all year.
I actually have a Holley 500 that is designed to run on E85, but they changed the rules this year to only 10% ethanol, so, so much for that, when I lived in Bismarck, I ran my 4X4 on E85 with that carb and it was great, but where I live now, it is twenty miles one way to fill with E85.
keep the comments coming and try to use it more often.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Default E-85

We in MN have E-85 (15% fossil 85% corn ethanol) there is NO way I would use this in a race type engine. For one there is a power drop and mileage drop off running this stuff in a low compression engine let alone in a high performance. 2 - just like methanol it takes FOREVER to heat your engine up especially in the cold. Bio diesel is too hard to find. I would like to try this. The word on bio diesel is that it lubricates better then the #1 or #2 fossil diesels with little to no power drop-off. All alcohols are rougher on rubber and rubber blended parts. Vehicles should/and are redesigned for alcohol use.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Ethanol is just like Methanol in the sense that it dry-rots any rubber/plastic. It is a dewatering agent. The big thing on the engines that can burn E-85 is the fact that they have replaced a lot of the rubber and plastic parts with ceramic or something else that is not affected by dry-rot. A small amount (15% max) of Ethanol is not going to affect your rubber/plastic parts as quickly as having E-85 running through your motor; kinda like watering down a beer, you just ain't gonna get drunk as quickly, but you'll get there at some point or another.

By the way, a true beer drinker is gonna stick to his/her brand. I stick to my Guinness. Sure, the bars here will serve $1.50 pitchers of Miller High Life Light, but that's what they made pre-drinking for; so you can get a few quality brews down first!

Ain't it good to have a scientist around on this board?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Smile

There is only one E85 station in SoCal that I can find and it's 2 hours away. If it were closer I would convert my 408 Duster to E85 completly. I believe Ethanol is the future, assuming we don't dig Alaska (they will).
Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

There's a lot of misinformation about E-85 out there. Here's a link that will answer a lot of your questions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
If after you read this and still think it's bad stuff you're definately in the class of people that say; 'Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up'
I converted my old truck over to running on straight E-85. I bumped the compression up to 11.2-1. I run a 440 with a solid cam, headers, M1 and a 850 holley, (I'm going to try to convert a 850 thermoquad for it also). I love the stuff!!! I'm making MORE power with it than gasoline, it's cheaper than regular, it's 105 octane, and my mileage only dropped by 1mpg. I've been running it since last June and my plastic fuel cell, aluminum fuel line, electric pump, and my carb are still in perfect condition. The engine runs a little cooler, (a + in my book), starts just like it did on gas, and runs as good as ANY gas motor I've ever built.
Don't knock it til you've tryed it, it's tailor made for high compression motors. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetThumb;jsessionid=C524A7FE60286B02A7B3E3D2B636F098.jpg (27.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickd100
Don't knock it til you've tryed it, it's tailor made for high compression motors. Dave
I have seen that truck before, are you on Moparts?

...actually I think we emailed each other a few months back about converting my 408 Duster to E85 capable... sound familiar?

Summit electric pump, right?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Sort of like somebody asking me what my favorite beer is. My answer is always the same

"Whatever's on sale"
AH HAH!! So it's you keeping Milwaukee's Best in business then, shame on you!!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Inactive User

Take a look at the Mopar Action Feb. 07 issue, the new one. Page 26, it give the details of my converted 850 thermoquad to straight E-85. After getting the carb set up right, it runs and acts just like a gasoline carb. If you didn't know there was E-85 in the tank, you'd swear it was just another warmed over 440. Dave
Old 10-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Inactive User

What's the gas mileage compaired to straight gasoline and 10% gasahol (sp?)?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

I usually buy my gas at the local Murphy station by our Wal-Mart. I had someone tell me that it's a blend but can't verify that. If so, the Geoyta gets 34mpg on it so I'm not gonna complain. My brother swears his 84 Ram 150 with a 318 won't run on it so he buys what he calls "real gas" at the local Fast Fuel.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuzz
I usually buy my gas at the local Murphy station by our Wal-Mart. I had someone tell me that it's a blend but can't verify that. If so, the Geoyta gets 34mpg on it so I'm not gonna complain. My brother swears his 84 Ram 150 with a 318 won't run on it so he buys what he calls "real gas" at the local Fast Fuel.

I don't know if they have to down there, but here they have to put a sticker saying that the fuel has 10% ethanol content on all the pumps. Wish I could find some pumps that don't have 10% in them..............
Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickd100
Take a look at the Mopar Action Feb. 07 issue, the new one. Page 26, it give the details of my converted 850 thermoquad to straight E-85. After getting the carb set up right, it runs and acts just like a gasoline carb. If you didn't know there was E-85 in the tank, you'd swear it was just another warmed over 440. Dave
Thanks for the tip, I'll be buying that issure.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

Here in Colorado we have no choice between November and about February; it’s all 10% EtOH. It works just fine in my every day vehicles, but I wont use in my cuda. EtOH can deteriorate the seals in my nitrous solenoids, which can lead to one of them sticking open
Old 10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

I only wish we had E85 here, cleaner, easier, you can run compression, and you dont have water issues................................

Oh well..........
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Inactive User

i haven't see it hear on the island but i guess that does not mean that it's hear or in canada
Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

I only use it because thats all that is really around here. I wish it wasnt.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM

rolleyes2

The fuel they sell around here has up to 10 % methanol in it but it isn't marketed as as E-85. One thing I can tell you is it sucks. Fuel mileage is terrible. I can gain about 2-3 mpg by buying fuel in other states when traveling on trips. As for the biodiesel the company I work for has told us NOT to put it in our trucks.(due to gelling problems in cold weather.)
Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

hah whats e-85 some kind of corn based lubricant? hahah
Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

Ethenol is the most useless garbage pout out by the government to use as a fuel sourse. it wull never take the palce of gasoline and deisel. Ethinol was tested in two vehicles, both are the same years and type SUV. the ethinol produced an 11mpg city and 15mpg hwy in the same vehicle gasoline was used and under the same circumstances as the ethinol it produced 15mpg city and 25 mpg HWY. if you ise ethinol in a regular vehicle not only will you spend more on fuel but you will have to fill up twice as much. i have been researching ethinol a bit and it seems that last year alone we americans used about 152billion gallons of gasoline alone. but the ethinol was only able to produce about 7.4 million gallons. not even a 10% of what we need to lessen the useage of gasoline. not only that but ethinol is more of a pallutant then gasolin, not from burning in our cars, but when they produce it. that will indeed increase the amount that is charged for grain such as corn, but because it took about 500 million acres of corn to produce the 7.4 million gallons of ethinol. how is that helping out? yes farmers will see an increase in how much they get for corn, but dairy and bovine will also increase expenentially. i say to you. ppl of this site, we mush not allow the government to push ethinol on us. it will not only take away our right to drive such awesome muscle cars and trucks, but will also make us have to buy a honda civic....
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

I've ben reading recently that some people with turbocharged cars have been running their cars on the race fuel mapping in daily driver conditions with E-85. They're basicly using the fuel as a really cheap race gas substitute.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
I only wish we had E85 here, cleaner, easier, you can run compression, and you dont have water issues................................

Oh well..........
other then the fact that it brns cleaner, its not. infact it ia really more polluting then normal gasoline. do you know how much corn and factory time is wasted to make that shyt? well put it this way, it puts mote pollutants into the air being made then any of the other fuels combined. i refuse to ue that under MPG shyt in my truck or my POS lancer.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Ethenol dont save you anything. if you look at it in the sence that you get half the miles for 2/3s the cost you have to refill more offten, im not sure what gas price are right now, because im in afghanitan deployed for the last 7 months but im sure ga is around 2.60+ a gallon right? and Ethenol is what 2.19 a gallon or what not? if your car is burning 1 1/2 tanks a week normal gas, then you wouold be burning about 2 1/2 to 3 tanks of ethenol. you are spending more money on the E85 and polluting the ozone more with the production of E85. truth is i dont give a damn about the OZONE but im saying its not better then reg gas.

PS. ther eis enuff fossil fuel to keep us going for the next few gens, after that it wont matter anyways.

PPS. if the Ozone is sooooo important ,why is it ok for movie stars and famous ppl to use giant cars with huge motor that get less then 15 mpg? I mean seriously if John Trovolta is sooo environmental why does he have a 747 that he flies around in? for fun too.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 PM

quick d 100, with that much octane tho, your compression no big deal, so running more compression to get the same or more torque and mileage the same, sound right?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

I run ethanol blend all the time and never have any trouble with it, cant tell any difference in mileage. As for soydiesel i run a semi for a cooprative. We run 100% in the summer time and it works great however, you haft to stop using it when the temperature drops below 35 degrees.

95 v-10 ram