Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

Default new chargers with older 383 or 440.???????

Has Any One Thought About This Or Am I The Only One. Or Is There Any Thing On The Net About Some One Really Doing This.i Thought I Would Toss The Ideal Out There To See What Any One Would Have To Say About If This Could Be Done Or Not. Also If This Could Be Done Would It Be Worth The Time. But Hey It Is A Cool Ideal!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM

I think it would be a step backward. The new hemi's are good engines and make great power. I love 383's & 440's Probably one of the easiest V8's to work on. but they're gas guzzlers always have been. The new Hemi's are way more fuel efficient in a way lighter package. The potential of these new engines are just beginning to be exploited. Modern fuel injection on the older B & RB engines would be expensive & not worth it when the 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi's allready have it!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 PM

i've been thinking 15-20 years from now, pick one not-so-new up and put me some old school muscle under the hood, carburated stroker motor...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

if i was to ever try this i dont think i would use a good new charger. it would be one that would be a wreck rebuilds and would be a v6 rear wheel drive car.i just thought it would be fun to build. but i would like to cut down a re production not old stock...69 charger tail lights and do some body work and make theme fit in there. and maybe do a six pack hood. and make a fiber glass tall wing like a super bird but not quite that tall. heck maybe a four speed??? like i said this is just a i deal would be something fun to do.i know it would be something to do with my 2 son's. got to keep the kids into mopars..............
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

like i said 15-20 years from now when you can find em in a junkyard with a blown engine, and burnt tranny, i'd go with a stroker with a hurst pistol grip 4spd, and i'd opt for either an srt8 body, or better yet a police interceptor body, that way you have better suspension, i'm wondering if in a few years you can maybe pick up the old charger police cars at the old police auctions?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog426 View Post
like i said 15-20 years from now when you can find em in a junkyard with a blown engine, and burnt tranny, i'd go with a stroker with a hurst pistol grip 4spd, and i'd opt for either an srt8 body, or better yet a police interceptor body, that way you have better suspension, i'm wondering if in a few years you can maybe pick up the old charger police cars at the old police auctions?
Never even thought about that... Lord there's TONS of 5 year old Crown Vic interceptors running around here because they're dirt cheap.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
Never even thought about that... Lord there's TONS of 5 year old Crown Vic interceptors running around here because they're dirt cheap.
yep take off all the indicators of it being a police car and one time, and that guy in the regular r/t would be wondering why you smoked him on the interstate, or got him by a car length through the 1/4... and he be thinking thaT'S the same car i got and it looks all stock????
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM

It looks pretty tight in there for an older big block. Even the short deck will need some persuasion. But it would be fun and totally backwards. I have seen 6 cylinder Cudas and other A bodies using the new Hemi with all the suspension upgrades. Why not one of those Magnum Wagons? Don't know if they have anymore engine well room but they have been around longer and better chance of finding one to play with. I bet they would Drag Race ok due to wheelbase. A 499 B-Block stroker would fly.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up big block power in wagons

[QUOTE=nhdriver;797489]I think it would be a step backward. The new hemi's are good engines and make great power. I love 383's & 440's Probably one of the easiest V8's to work on. but they're gas guzzlers always have been. The new Hemi's are way more fuel efficient in a way lighter package. The potential of these new engines are just beginning to be exploited. Modern fuel injection on the older B & RB engines would be expensive & not worth it when the 5.7 & 6.1 Hemi's allready have it![/QUOTE I think that it would be great to go with some old big block power in these wagons .Bring back the old big block power with todays technoligy would be kool. Xxevy been doing it with there big block454 engine. Get mopar going back with big big torgue and deeep ground pounding sound of a big block.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Not such a good idea when you consider the weight you're adding to the new Charger, and even less fun if you get smoked by someone driving basically a stock Charger. Then there's pollution equipment legality to consider in certain states, you could end up making your car illegal to drive. Leave the B-RB motors for the Mopars that need them.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM

You don't have to wait for a charger police car. They are already up for auction.

As for drag racing. One of the Mopar magazines did a Magnum wagon SRT8. Just a program reflash, headers, and torque converter (maybe air filter and exhaust can't remember it all) and it was running 12's. It stripped the splines off of the rear CV shafts.

I don't think it'd be worth the time and money to swap a B or RB in there.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVMopar View Post
You don't have to wait for a charger police car. They are already up for auction.

As for drag racing. One of the Mopar magazines did a Magnum wagon SRT8. Just a program reflash, headers, and torque converter (maybe air filter and exhaust can't remember it all) and it was running 12's. It stripped the splines off of the rear CV shafts.

I don't think it'd be worth the time and money to swap a B or RB in there.
really?? i've only seen em around here for about the past year or so, usually they keep em for a few years before they auction em, only thing is what kind of shape would it be in when you get it?? you know them po-po ran the crap out of em, other day i was talking to a cop and he said he "read" it would go past 130mph, yeah read it my arse!! and also said he read it could outrun a new camaro... think he was full of crap about the reading that stuff, and i've seen em take off in them cars before looked like they were doin it just to do it, just think about if you were a cop and they let you ride a new charger, i would run the wheels off that thing every time i could get an excuse to...
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM

I've seen them on Ebay already. And with the proper gears, tires, and HP I can't see why they wouldn't run 140+
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM

meant i think the cop was full of crap about reading the stuff, meaning he had actually done it... saturday when the po-po was over by my house lookin for that hotrod that was raising hell in the neighborhood {i didn't know anything about i was asleep} hehehe... anyway he was in one of the new chargers, and he was talking about how quick it was, and how he had got it up past 130, {kinda knew the cop} and i was jokin with him when i was showin him my stroker roadrunner {that don't run yet} that i'd let him race me when i get it running, then he can see if he can catch me lol...