Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Supercharger brands/availability/pricing

Ok, I have recently found a job where i will be making $60 an hour doing grid sampling for agriculture fields. I have decided to save this money for my truck and start seriously modding it. I have made up my mind on a supercharger, but I have no idea what brands are avaible for a 2001 5.9 RC SB Ram. Prices would be nice, but aren't an issue as of yet. Please, all info would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks to all of you great fellow Ram owners!

Kevin
Old 03-14-2002, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Default ATI Procharger 10# Kit

I have 2 friends with prochargers, one on a '97 Cobra that gained 150rwhp, and one on a GMC Sierra that gained 120rwhp... so far as what I've seen they produce the best numbers of any of the competative brands, and the kit comes with an intercooler specifically made for your vehicle (not much custom plumbing required)... just my .02, but I would start here and then judge other brands

ZZ

ps- I'm not sure, but I believe it's $3,400-$3,700 w/intercooler and other brands such as Vortech are over $4,000 w/o and intercooler
Old 03-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Default superchargers

I think the cheapest kit would be POWERDYNE;
take a look in www.summitracing.com and on the part number write: PWA-K10518-101, this is the summitracing part number for your truck (2000-2001) $2,819.95 (K10518-101 is the supercharger part number itself, adding PWA is for summitracing only)

www.krcperformance.com has a Vortech Supercharger kit 6-10 psi for $3,100.00

www.superchargersonline.com is another good source for different supercharger brands.
Kenne bell has a twin screw supercharger kit that gives boost at low RPM the other brands that have kits for your truck like Procharger, Vortech, Paxton and Powerdyne make centrifugal superchargers (boost at higher RPM)

Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Powerdyne

Hey,
I was looking at a powerdyne for a 99 Dakota R/T, because it was the cheapest supercharger I could find. But, my brother told me they were cheap because they weren't as good as others. I have looked at all of the information and I noticed that the powerdyne S/Cs don't seem like they add as much HP & Tq, but they seem like the best for the price. I am trying to decide which brand I should buy, so if you have any opinions let me know. I'm not planning on buying a supercharger until the end of this summer... First I'm getting a Lightning Killer kit. That should get me into the low 13's without nitrous or a supercharger.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Post Wade

I've yet to put the S/C on my Ram, since I can't do the sampling until the crops are out of the field, so most like November/December the Ram will get boosted. I think I'm going to go with Kenne Bell when it comes time, but not sure. I love that whine under the hood. I'm sure PSIRam or others in the Dakota forum could help you. Check out http://blackdakrt.com and maybe there's some information there. Good luck!

Thanks

Kevin
Old 05-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

Just Installed a Powerdyne supercharger today. I bought it used with only 2000 miles on it. We have a few adjustments to make, but so far it has been pretty impressive! A friend of mine talked me into the Powerdyne S/C, since his has been so reliable. Everyone I talked to said to go with Vortech, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Powerdyne.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

if I were you, I'd get either a Paxton or a Kenne Bell
Old 05-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Inactive User

Any supercharger you get will be fine and you will be happy about it. I bought my powerdyne from PSIRam and I am very happy with it. When the boost starts to kick in you start to get an andreline rush. Powerdynes are very good and reliable supercharger the only mantanice you have to do (I was told by a friend) was to change the belt inside the charger about once a year so it wont break. Good luck on you quest being supercharged.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Belts

Hey,
I've heard about Powerdyne superchargers and their belt problems. (Quick wearing) How much would a new supercharger belt cost??
Old 05-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Supercharger brands/availability/pricing

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinrichards
Ok, I have recently found a job where i will be making $60 an hour doing grid sampling for agriculture fields. I have decided to save this money for my truck and start seriously modding it. I have made up my mind on a supercharger, but I have no idea what brands are avaible for a 2001 5.9 RC SB Ram. Prices would be nice, but aren't an issue as of yet. Please, all info would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks to all of you great fellow Ram owners!

Kevin
damn........ 60.oo an hour........!!!!!

i am deffinately in the wrong business....

i guess you ned an extensive college degree for that field of work..?? pardon the pun....

i like the prochargers benifits.... from what i read about them... there pretty substantial.....and the intercooler REALLLLLY helps....

i say save your motor,.... get a stroker motor........ whether it be a 402 crate from ma mopar or a 408 from krc..... then supercharge it...get the best of both worlds.... monster torque and phenominal h.p.

youll be in the neiborhood of some 650-725 hp....(sub 12 second ram...if you can find traction...)

oh so nice..........lol....... wish i could do that..

jim
Old 05-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Post Jim

Most definately a good job. The only problem is, I can't do any of the work until crops are out of the fields after harvest. All the job is, is to drive around a field on an ATV w/ GPS on it and it maps the field, and then at dedicated points take a dirt sample, and ship it off to be anylized. At normal rate, I would be paid $3 an acre to do it, if I had my own equipment. But, I don't so therefore only $2 per acre, and it takes about an hour to do 30 acres.

I've been reading more and more about the 408 stroker, and it's starting to become a better idea. The 360 can only go so far, and the horsepower capabilities of the 408 are must greater and still be reliable.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 05-20-2002, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

Search for RDAbike posts. Alot of info there.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Vortech is very reliable as is the KB. No offense to anyone here, but Powerdyne has a terrible reliability record. Paxton has one, but they specialize in GM kits. The most important thing is to keep the boost under 8 PSI on a stock motor. I've heard this from many shops. The stock head gaskets just aren't up to the task. You will NEVER see a 100+ HP increase without a lot of other work to keep it together. Figure about 75 HP on a stocker, but that is a huge seat 'o the pants increase. I'm going to a Vortech at about 10 PSI next year with a bigger TB and R/T heads. With everything else, I should be near 400 HP on pump gas. Anything beyond that and your drive train is going to start complaining.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Default well....

I have a Vortech on my R/T. It is great. Gives 9-10 lbs of boost. I had them replace the head gaskets with some copper ones when it was installed(yes I had a shop do it, cause they were running a deal). The gaskets dropped CR to about 8 before SC, so we went with 9lb pulley. Was great until last month when I blew my plenum gasket. Soon as I work up the courage. I'm taking the R/T back to stock form(with the exception of the exhaust work), and installing everything on my RAM.