Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Plutonium Member

Thumbs up Sean Roe Supercharger System

Sean Roe, a Viper Supertuner, is coming out with a DYI (Do It Yourself) supercharger system for Gen.II Viper. He will start to see about adapting it to the Gen.I Viper 488 V-10 engine soon, and will get it set up for the Gen.III Viper SRT-10 when the 2003 Viper SRT-10 comes out this fall.

http://www.roeracing.com/index.html...=New%20Products and look at the bottom of the page. You might also want to e-mail Sean if you're serious about getting his supercharger system for your Viper. Be sure to tell him that you saw this in Mopar Chat.

http://vca1.viperclub.org/menus/index_forums.htm and go to "Performance Modifications" and then to
"Test-drove Sean Roe's new supercharged GTS!" and then to
"537 RWHP and 571 RWTQ with bolt ons and no NOS
Old 05-16-2002, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Kenny:

No offense to Sean, but I would not count on this blower to give you much. The blower that he is using is providing marginal performance (which is why it is mounted over the rear 4 cylinders of the V-10). I have spoken to the manufacturer at length and he builds blowers for small block engines like Mustangs and Camaro's. For the Viper application, the centrifugal blowers are much more efficient.

I have also talked to some of the traditional roots blower manufacturers about doing Vipers and it just isn't worth their time to develop it. On top of this, in order to accomodate a roots blower you would have to radically modify or replace the hood (which is pretty expensive).

On the other side of the coin, several comapnies are trying to develop twin turbo kits for Vipers. You run into a few problems with this:
- Heat is a huge enemy of the aluminum V-10 and will rob power dramatically;
- The floor pan of a Viper is made out of fiberglass and cannot withstand the intense heat that turbos generate without catching on fire.
- Sufficient intercooling is a problem with all forced induction systems (which is why most of these tuners are developing these cars for 1/4 mile applications).

You can get comparable performance without doing a forced induction system.

JMO.

Brad
Old 05-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Plutonium Member

Default Viper 10 -

The HP & torque curves that Sean posted in the Viper Club of America appears to be perfect for my style of driving - I mostly use of low & mid range, with an occassional top end. Right now I'm considering a Viper as well as the Ram SRT-10 to be my 2nd car.

I've had pretty powerful cars before, but none as powerful as a Viper or Ram SRT-10,and I've never had a stick shift. I've driven sticks on other cars, though.

I'm keeping my options open at this point - 2004 Ram SRT-10, 2004 Viper SRT-10, new 2001 or 2002 Viper GTS or RT-10, or used Viper GTS (1996-2002) or RT-10 (1997-2002). I plan on driving whatever I get for about a year before doing any big time (supercharger) mods. I like to do things right the first time.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

Kenny:

If doing things right is a priority with you, I would consider the following things:

- If forced induction is to be done correctly, you traditionally would replace the stock pistons with forged pistons with a drop in compression of about 1 point (i.e. 9.5 :1 down to 8.5:1 compression). All Vipers from '01 forward are all fitted with hyperreutectic CAST pistons.

- Most of the tuners that I know of fall very short in the area of intercooling. That is the main reason that they cater to the drag racing/ duno queen crowd of owners. When doing a forced induction (turbo or blower applications) without intercooling, you will essentially lose 50% of your HP gain once the engine warms up to running temperatures. You can never have too much intercooling (which will also directly effects the reliability of the engine).

You are very smart in not doing any modifications to your cars for the first year. I would strongly recommend that you do spend money and time on attending several driving schools and track events to help you to become familiar with your vehicle's handling/performance strengths and weaknesses. All that the additional power and torque will do for you is reduce your margin for error. Mistakes in Viper are usually pretty costly.

Finally, your comment about Roe's bolt-on blower giving you more low end and mid-range power is completely stupid. If you have ever driven (or ridden) in a Viper, you would know that the last thing that you need is more low-end and mid-range power and torque.

My car in it's stock form is turning over 530 Ft-lbs of torque (which means that I can essentially smoke the tire through most of the first 3 gears before hooking up (if I wanted to waste some tires and my half-shafts to proove a point). It is very common to see Viper owners looping their cars because they got on the gas too early or too hard.

If there is an area that could use improvement on a Snake it would be the top end. Improving breathing and intake will give you a wider power band and more revs on the top-end. Adding a GTS-R intake manifold and heads will give you an additional 1,000 rpm and HP. Your thinking and assessment of Vipers and Roe's bolt-on solution will do nothing but land you in a hospital very quickly.

That's my $.02. I meant nothing personal by my comments, but I talk to people almost every day who think like you.

Brad

Ps: Don't believe everything that you read on the VCA BB. It is commonly used by the tuners to promote their stuff with propaganda. The moderators do not censor tuners (only members who criticize tuners).
Old 05-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Plutonium Member

Default Viper 10 -

Thanks for your input. Who knows - maybe I'll be satisfied with the stock motor. I have already put going to a driving school ahead of any mods except for smooth tubes and less restrictive air filters.

I was thinking of the Sean Roe supercharger system more for the Ram SRT-10 rather than the Viper. Should get the Ram between Gen I and Gen II Viper performance in a straight line. At any rate, I will let other people test out the various systems before I buy.

I'm thinking of the next vehicle I get as sort of an investment - the loss of money will probably be the same on a new Viper as the Ram SRT-10 since I tend to hold on to my vehicles for many years. A new Viper will lose about $20K in value and so would the Ram SRT-10 over the time I plan on keeping it. The Ram will be worth $15K and the Viper worth about $50K. If I get a current model Viper GTS, it probably will go up in value in 10 years, and possibly the RT-10, too. The Viper SRT-10 should be technologically superior to the current Gen II Vipers, but it doesn't have the WOW factor in its appearance.

I'm 6'5" tall and would have to have the Viper's seat lowered as much as possible. Do you know if there is more headroom in the GTS over the RT-10 with the soft top and/or the hard top? Or are they the same? (I know I'll fit comfortably in the Ram SRT-10, but I'm thinking more of going with a Viper at this point.)
Old 05-17-2002, 12:34 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Sun Ra
when you get your SRT Truck..im sure you will have NO problem blwing the tires away even at moderate throttle positions.
haven riden oftern in Brad(Viper10s) Beast...Its everything they say and more...torque..not a problem..midrange..not a problem..
Good intake and exhaust setup..you will be 100+hp and have more power than you will know what to do with...
JMHO
Damion
Old 05-17-2002, 02:24 AM
Inactive User

Kenny:

Northwind Engineering makes seat lowering kits for the Gen 1 &2 Vipers. The GTS's definitely have more headroom than the RT's (unless you plan on never having a top on the RT). If you did a search on the VCA BB, you would find that there are several people that are your height driving Vipers.

Another pointer on getting more headroom is to remove the trampoline webbing located underneath the seat cushion. It essentially is held in with 2 rows of hooks that can easily be removed. This will give you an additional inch of clearence.

Damion is correct about getting an additional 100 hp with modified intake and exhaust.

I hope that this helps.

Brad
Old 05-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Plutonium Member

Default V 10 & MW -

I have short legs and a long torso. My 5'9" daughter's legs are as long as mine & a 7' tall friend's torso is about an inch taller than me. A guy let me sit in his GTS and I was hitting the headliner & needed 1/2" more headroom just to sit straight up - I don't think he had his seat lowered. The GTS had a lot more headroom than the current Corvette coup. I probably would like to be able to drive with the hard top and/or soft top on in the RT-10 if the weather was cold or I got caught in the rain. I wish there were some Viper dealers near Dayton, Ohio so I could test sit in each model.

When the Viper seats are lowered (2" drop) all the way (since I don't think the adjustable 1" drop will be enough), does the seat comfort suffer? Does the seat comfort suffer if the webbing below the seat is removed?
Old 05-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Kenny:

I have the same problem as you in the fact that I have a long torso and short legs (32 inch inseam). My torso is the same as my friend who is 6'5". Thank God for adjustable pedals (which came in '96 on the GTS and '97 on the RT's).

I have the 1" lowering kit with the webbing removed. I would estimate that I have gained at least 2" or more. I can fit into my car with a helmet and see perfectly out of the windshield. Before making the change, I was staring right into the visor. The comfort of the seats is not affected by the lowering track and the cushion webbing. When the webbing is removed, you drop lower into the cushion. I have got to believe that you would fit with the non-adjustable track and the webbing modification.

I would contact the local chapter of the VCA to see if there are a couple members with both Northwind lowering kits in their car to compare.

I have noticed that people with longer legs have problems with the kit because of where their left knee hits the dashboard. The reason for this is because the seat sits lower into the seat bucket (which seems to taper in the rear surface (which slides the seat forward a bit).

The Corvette has worse headroom in the Coupe than the Viper. The hardtops and Z06's are close to what you get in a GTS, but I would still need to lower the seats to accomodate a helmet.

if yoyu ever get out to Southern Cal, you are welcome to sit in my car to check the fit.

Brad